Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:50 am

In June, we arrived at the W=A on a GLONP stay. Prior to arrival, I had phoned the Diamond Reception desk about a possible Diamond upgrade. I was told that there was no guarantee, but that they would try to get us a suite.

Upon check-in, we were given a one-bedroom suite on the 19th floor. We were told that we may have to move the next day, but we ended up staying in the same suite for our entire stay. We opted for daily breakfast coupons instead of drink coupons. On the first day, we also received a complimentary bottle of champagne to help celebrate our wedding anniversary.

While both the bedroom and the parlor were relatively small, the bathroom was huge. Of course, I compare all suites to the Pool Table Suite at the Palmer House, and everything seems small in comparison.

A few comments about the breakfast coupons, which were good for the continental breakfast buffet at Oscar’s –

1. We were a party of three and we were given one coupon per day. Generally, this is not a problem, but Teen-age Son (TAS) likes to sleep in. Thus, with a group coupon, rather than individual coupons, Husband and I were not able to eat breakfast earlier and had to wait for TAS.

2. According to the menu, the continental breakfast costs $15.50, while the full breakfast buffet costs $19.00. On the first morning, we all opted to upgrade to the full breakfast buffet. We expected to pay about an additional $4 each, but we were charged an additional $9 each. When we asked, the waiter explained that our continental breakfast coupons had a value of only $10 each. When we looked displeased, the waiter suggested that we talk to the restaurant manager. The restaurant manager promptly removed all additional charges from our bill.

3. Although breakfast ends at 11:30, the breakfast buffet ends at 11:00 – i.e. from 11:00 to 11:30, one could order breakfast items off the a la carte menu. We arrived one morning at Oscar’s just before 11:00 to a rather empty buffet selection. We were told that the buffet was ending in a few minutes and that they would not be replenishing anything. However, with the help of the Diamond Reception, the staff at Oscar’s was able to get us some fruit and croissants.

4. We did not eat at Oscar’s every morning and had a few extra coupons. We asked if we could apply two breakfast coupons to the lunch buffet ($19.95 per person.) The hostess thought that it was a reasonable request. So on our last morning, we all slept in and used two breakfast coupons for lunch.

The W=A advertises a possible upgrade to the Astoria level for only $40 per room. We didn’t want to change rooms, but asked if we could pay $40 per day to get the Executive Lounge access. The Diamond Reception checked for us and said that the hotel was too full.

We took full advantage of the Fitness Center at the W=A – a MUST due to the amount of food we were eating! According to the Fitness Center staff, HHonors members can use the facilities for free. Non-HHonors guests pay $14 per day or $26 for the entire stay.

On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, the Fitness Center offers a one-hour yoga class. Again, the class is free for HHonors members or $15 per session for others. Jennifer, the Fitness Center Manager conducts one of the yoga sessions and was by far our favorite. She was friendly and helpful and got all of us addicted to the Steam Room – a great way to relax after a workout.

During our stay, the Bull & Bear Restaurant was having a soft-shell crab special. One night after dinner, TAS decided he wanted a late-night snack. Since room service does not include food from the Bull & Bear, I called down to the restaurant for a take-out order of soft-shell crab. TAS and I showed up in gym attire to pick up the order, which was not quite ready. I wanted to wait outside because we were not appropriately dressed. However, the hostess laughed and said that we were fine. She insisted that we come inside and showed us to a table near the bar to wait for our food.

We were very pleasantly surprised by our stay at the W=A. Every staff person that we encountered was courteous and friendly. We would definitely return to the W=A on our next trip to New York.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 1:43 pm

Do you have to use your room key to access the fitness center at the Waldorf? I've stayed there 3 times and haven't been to it yet (I think it was only open til 10 at night.)

Or do you just show your Gold Vip card?

(The reason I'm asking is b/c of what I was able to do in Vegas (using the Hilton while staying at the Embassy Suites.))
Old Jul 20, 2003, 2:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by qadie:
Do you have to use your room key to access the fitness center at the Waldorf? I've stayed there 3 times and haven't been to it yet (I think it was only open til 10 at night.) </font>
No, you don't need your key to access the fitness center. You simply gave your name and room number. When they see your HHonors status, they waive the charges.

At most Hiltons, you have to be Gold or Diamond to get free access. Surprisingly, at the W=A, you just have to be a member of HHonors to use the fitness center for free - at least that's what the staff told me.

Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:53 am

Waldorf - need a room on a sold out night

I have reservation for December 7-10. But to get decent airline tickets, I need a Saturday night stay. The hotel is already booked for Dec 6th. I don't want to change hotels. And they do not wait list. Any suggestions besides calling reservations on a daily basis (looking for a cancellation)for getting a Saturday reservation?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Are you a Diamond by any chance? If so, you can get a room. If not, keep calling the hotel and explain that you need an extra day tacked on to your reservation.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:50 pm

Sorry, I am gold. Wish I was platinum.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by morgan1929:
Sorry, I am gold. Wish I was platinum.</font>
If you've stayed there before, you should mention you're a repeat guest.
Sometimes that's more important at the W=A the HH status.
Still, that, once coupled with HH Gold, could grant you more than a fighting chance!

Good Luck!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Non-specific to W=A, you can always elevate your request to a manager, who could possibly even start a waitlist (their own little wait list, if you know what I mean). Be the sqeaky wheel.

That said, I'm sure you're aware that getting a December weekend room in New York can be quite a trial because it is high shopping season. People book this weekend as far in advance as possible. So I'd go ahead and make those backup plans for another property on Saturday night so at least you have something in place.

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:30 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Weekends in December are very crowded and sold out at many popular hotels in NYC. I suggest you make a reservation NOW at another hotel to cover the dates you want. Then keep checking w/the Waldorf. If dates open, then you can cancel your fallback reservation.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by morgan1929:
Sorry, I am gold. Wish I was platinum.</font>
I am afraid Platinum would do you no good either
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:28 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Why the Waldorf excels above the rest during power outage

For anyone who was staying in any city without power Thursday-Saturday, you can appreciate this.

When I got back to the Waldorf at 1am Thur night, after socializing and having been merry for about 9 hours (bars selling beer cash only at cut-rate prices!) - I figured I'd have to endure walking up 25 flights of stairs and getting to a room with a keycard reader inoperative. But what else was I going to do other than hunker down in the lobby.

Imagine my surprise to find that the Waldorf was running one elevator on generator power. The room key readers worked too, but some said they may be battery operated all the time.

My colleagues at the Marriott Marquis Times Square weren't even admitted to the hotel because a.) no elevators worked and b.) card key readers inoperative.

My colleagues at the Sheraton NY Towers had to walk up 46 flights of stairs! But their card readers worked.

It flies in the face of reason that any hotel with more than 10 floors wouldn't have a regularly tested fuel driven generator to run essential things like an elevator.

I'm sure the Waldorf wasn't the only hotel with such emergency preparedness, but those other two examples are unexcusable, considering how many floors they have.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:38 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
What was the air conditioning tally? That, to me, is more important than a few flights of stairs.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
What was the air conditioning tally? That, to me, is more important than a few flights of stairs.</font>
Did you see the TV coverage of the family with triplet babies who returned to the Marriott to find themselves locked out? No diapers, no formula, Marriott just left them on the street. It's like Maslow's hierarchy of needs: give me access to my room first before satisfying my need for air conditioning. A room with air conditioning that I can't enter doesn't win points in my book.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Limited A/C came on at the Waldorf around 3:30 pm on Frday and full A/C was available by later that night. No hot water in the until Sunday morning.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think almost all the keycard systems I've ever seen are battery operated, so to use that as an excuse is really lame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.