Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Nevada, USA {US-NV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Nevada, USA {US-NV}

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by controller1
For U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting purposes, all of the Blackstone companies' holdings in a stock are consolidated and that is the reason it is reported that Blackstone Group L.P. owns 76.43% of the stock at 12/31/13. This is done due to the SEC's assumption that those like holdings are "controlled" by a parent organization. Therefore, your statement that "Blackstone does not own a majority stake in Hilton" does not hold water.
While investment managers provide a consolidated report of holdings, that does not equate to those investment managers 'owning' those holdings. By that reasoning Vanguard Group owns 5% of Apple, which I don't think is a reasonable statement, much as I said it's not reasonable to make the assumption that Hilton and the Cosmo are now owned by the same entity when they are owned by separate funds that happen to be managed by the same investment firm.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Doesn't blackstone also own LaQuinta?
Old May 17, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Doesn't blackstone also own LaQuinta?
And Motel 6. I keep my fingers crossed they will not rebrand.
Old May 17, 2014, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Isn't there a history of Blackstone owned hotels getting rebranded into the Hilton family -- The Arizona Biltmore, El Conquistador and Boca Raton Resort come to mind.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Cosmopolitan (Las Vegas) Sold To Blackstone..

If Blackstone were to bring the Cosmo in to the Hilton family, it would likely be branded as a Waldorf Astoria, minimizing Hhonors elite benefits like free breakfast.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by diver858
If Blackstone were to bring the Cosmo in to the Hilton family, it would likely be branded as a Waldorf Astoria, minimizing Hhonors elite benefits like free breakfast.
Or it might be the launch of a new lifestyle brand. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/hilto...nd-548458.html

I'm sure any new brand if any; will feature lame elite benefits. Like a free in-room movie or 500 points.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by little_dc
Or it might be the launch of a new lifestyle brand. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/hilto...nd-548458.html

I'm sure any new brand if any; will feature lame elite benefits. Like a free in-room movie or 500 points.
This would be a horrible mistake and loss of revenue on Hilton's part if so. A large part of W's success is the well respected SPG program with loyal followers that are wiling to pay higher room rates for the brand and benefits and spend more at the properties. They seek out W's and plan vacations around their locations.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Michael19887
This would be a horrible mistake and loss of revenue on Hilton's part if so. A large part of W's success is the well respected SPG program with loyal followers that are wiling to pay higher room rates for the brand and benefits and spend more at the properties. They seek out W's and plan vacations around their locations.
You have made the case why Hilton should, will make such a move. There are LOTS of Millennials who stay at Hilton properties, accumulate points and obtain status when traveling on business, would prefer to avoid leisure award redemption at properties originally designed for their parents. Hilton appears to recognize the loss of such business to SPG, boutique chains like Kimpton.

Giving Hilton the benefit of the doubt, this could be one explanation for the delay in refreshing a large number of Doubletree properties, which may have been targeted for conversion to Denizen, will soon take on the new entity. They already have space for nightclubs, restaurants, other on property facilities to generate additional revenues.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I think some of you may be confusing two different things: the Cosmo joining HHonors vs. the Cosmo rebranding as a Hilton. The two do not have to go together in this case, and the rebranding is not going to occur, no way.

Why do hotels pay all that money to join chains? To get the customers. The Cosmo is a really premier property in Las Vegas. It does not need to throw millions of dollars at Hilton to drum up business, like the Tropicana.

As for the idea of some agreement to earn/use HH points at the Cosmo, like with Marriott, sure that is possible, but it has already been pointed out that a different trust owns the Cosmo than owns Hilton shares, so it isn't automatic. Hilton would have to win a duel with Marriott.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:13 am
Suspended

I was reading an article the other day that said Cosmo has not made any money for 6 years, hence the sale. If that is true then I guess they will have to do something to turn it around because location does not seen to be working at the moment!!
Old May 20, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I was reading an article the other day that said Cosmo has not made any money for 6 years, hence the sale. If that is true then I guess they will have to do something to turn it around because location does not seen to be working at the moment!!
Agree, The Cosmo might be a premier property in Las Vegas but no one is staying there and they have lost a ton of cash for 6 years. I think Blackstone will quickly break ties with Marriott.. I think this hotel will be the launch of a new Lifestyle brand from Hilton.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by little_dc
Agree, The Cosmo might be a premier property in Las Vegas but no one is staying there and they have lost a ton of cash for 6 years. I think Blackstone will quickly break ties with Marriott.. I think this hotel will be the launch of a new Lifestyle brand from Hilton.
Surely the management need to be looked at as well? How on earth have you got a brand new top notch hotel in great location but can't make any money?? Think their marketing team and senor executives need to answer a few difficult questions!!
Old May 20, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Surely the management need to be looked at as well? How on earth have you got a brand new top notch hotel in great location but can't make any money?? Think their marketing team and senor executives need to answer a few difficult questions!!
The place was built and went online just as Vegas crashed and burned.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:02 pm

Some interesting details:

http://www.meetingsfocus.com/NewsEve...rticleID/23680
Old May 24, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL GE
The name.. Just makes me think of the Woman's Magazine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.