Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I see zero availability for a two month period between June and August. Is this just some temporary capacity control, or is the hotel actually fully booked for all that time?

EDIT: The problem seems to be that I was trying to book a single night. When booking two or more nights, the date comes up with no problem. So I tried booking two nights and modifying it to one, but I'm getting push back with that as well. Which seems silly, as I can easily book a single night through a third party site...
Grand Wailea frequently has minimum stay requirements.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I don't see any standard rewards available for 8/21/14 through the end of the year (although some premium rewards which are less than standard). I'm looking into using FNCs for our trip in October but assume this can't be done unless standard rewards are available.

Does this seem unusual? Cash rates are only $269/night plus tax and reward fee so I could simply do that.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Makes sense that they do this. Otherwise the place could be even more packed. Although, I freely admit, I had a one night stay and took total advantage of it. My first time in Maui, I was in a condo in Wailea and had gone to the GW for a drink. My Red Eye got canceled, and I was re-booked the next evening, I found out the morning of my flight and had to check out of the condo. Every hotel was booked except the GW, I paid cash for one night and the price was through the roof, I wasn't even HH at the time. I was determined to get my moneys worth. I got there at 10am, and went right to the pools. When my room was ready, I had my luggage brought up, and then back to the pool until they closed. The next day, checked out, checked my bags, and back at the pools until 7pm, got a hospitality room to shower, and left for the airport. I basically got two full days for the price of one. I have no problem with someone doing this, but understand why the GW wouldn't like it and are now imposing minimum stays. Fortunately for them, I liked my stay so much I have gone back 3 days, once for a full week.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Award Rooms

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I don't see any standard rewards available for 8/21/14 through the end of the year (although some premium rewards which are less than standard). I'm looking into using FNCs for our trip in October but assume this can't be done unless standard rewards are available.

Does this seem unusual? Cash rates are only $269/night plus tax and reward fee so I could simply do that.
I also noticed the same thing(only deluxe rooms). I am hoping this change in a few months, like last year.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Though there's nothing stopping someone from making a one night reservation via a third party site.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ThriftyTourist
I'm extremely Thrifty and so I think it's very acceptable to do this place on a budget and just did this past January.

First of all, when I checked in, I got some very budget-friendly coupons and i'm not sure if I got them because I was Diamond or if Gold receive them as well. I received coupons for:

1.2 Free Cocktails (or any drink) at the Flagship Restaurant Humuhumunukunukuapua’a. [Drinks range from $3-$24).
2.$40 off Dinner at Humuhumunukunukuapua’a.
3.1000 HHonors Points if I spend $50 at Humuhumu
4.2500 HHonors Points if I spend $125 or more at the Grand Spa (voted #1 Spa in Hawaii)
5.20% off Any Spa treatment at the Grand Spa
Anyone know if HHonors Gold members get these as well? We are staying there a couple of nights in October with another couple who have gold status.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:28 pm

Anyone know if HHonors Gold members get these as well? We are staying there a couple of nights in October with another couple who have gold status.
Yes, I believe they do.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
$40 off Dinner at Humuhumunukunukuapua’a

Is this contingent on buying two meals or just a straight $40 off?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
$40 off Dinner at Humuhumunukunukuapua’a

Is this contingent on buying two meals or just a straight $40 off?
Works for one meal
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:41 am

We will be returning to Maui in March having stayed twice before at the GW. There are no rooms available (points or cash) on the Hilton website for the dates of our travel. I have seen rooms on two different reputable third party websites for the exact dates and at fairly good price as they are "packaged" with a rental car. I am wondering if I book through the third party site if I would receive the HHonors Diamond benefits (upgrade, coupons). I know I would not technically be eligible to receive points or benefits but in the few times over the years at other Hilton properties where I have used a third party site I have received both points and benefits. Any experience at the Grand Wailea? If it makes a difference one of the third party sites is American Airlines.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
131,000 points a night for January 2015 dates, no standard rooms already. Is this common?

Last edited by threedjmay; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 pm Reason: added year
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by threedjmay
131,000 points a night for January 2015 dates, no standard rooms already. Is this common?
In my limited experience, rates/prices are all over the place.
I have a room booked for early Feb 2014, here's the rough timeline, to give you an idea of how much it can change.

May 2013: Booked 2 nights (fri/sat) with weekend free night certs
June 2013: went to add an extra night (sun), sold out, no cash rates even offered.
Sep 2013: all Feb 2014 weekends sold out, switched to Andaz but kept one night for pool access.
Dec 2013: cash rates available again, premium award available for ~70K/nt, but no standard rooms
Jan 2014 (early): premium award rates up to 100K/nt
Now: standard room available @ 70k.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:34 am

Anyone familiar with the website whatahotel.com? Several people on TA mentioned using it at GW or Four Seasons Maui.

http://www.whatahotel.com/hotels/224...ia_Resort.html

They have the same pricing as hilton.com for our upcoming stay but offer a $50 resort credit and breakfast for two daily as well as a space available upgrade to a deluxe oceanview.

For two nights I am inclined to stick with the diamond benefits and collect points but considering recommending for another couple with no status who are joining us.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Anyone familiar with the website whatahotel.com? Several people on TA mentioned using it at GW or Four Seasons Maui.

They have the same pricing as hilton.com for our upcoming stay but offer a $50 resort credit and breakfast for two daily as well as a space available upgrade to a deluxe oceanview.

For two nights I am inclined to stick with the diamond benefits and collect points but considering recommending for another couple with no status who are joining us.
I haven't used that site, but have learned recently that it's best to use a travel agent when booking a high end resort and paying with cash. So far, agents have been able to get me the exact same rate as the hotels themselves, with upgrades, resort fee waivers, resort credits, free breakfast, etc. while I still earn points and get all of my program benefits.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage

We used them for Four Seasons Maui. We got an awesome upgrade. We also got all the benefits exactly as listed with no hassles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.