Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
Sadly my award night resort fee free; my remaining paid nights, yep I paid!! Frankly the room taxes/fees are astounding! Per night; resort charge $25; excise tax $1.04; Room Tax $6.38; Excisetax-room $2.87 Room Tax $53.56; Excise Tax Room $24.12
Yes, each fee paid per night. What is the state of HI thinking?
The state of HI is thinking that they would like to have your money, and that you do not vote in the state of Hawaii. There is a general excise tax of 4.166% and a Transient Accommodations Tax of 9.25%. The total of 13.416% is not a lot higher than most other locations. New York City is around 20% IIRC.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
How can I upgrade to Napua Tower (Grand Wailea, Maui)?

Greetings,
I am Diamond with Hilton and have booked two nights at the Grand Wailea in March using points. I read here that it is possible to upgrade to the Napua tower/rooms with points? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
There is a long thread on the GW. If you read it, there are a couple people who have talked their way into upgrading paid rates to the Napua Club. But don't remember anyone who has gotten free stays - award stays - at the Napua Club. But you should read the thread.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by tbeard
Greetings,
I am Diamond with Hilton and have booked two nights at the Grand Wailea in March using points. I read here that it is possible to upgrade to the Napua tower/rooms with points? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
There was an option to use some additional points for a guaranteed upgrade to the Napua Tower when I booked my stay. Well worth it IMHO!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by gemac
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
Sadly my award night resort fee free; my remaining paid nights, yep I paid!! Frankly the room taxes/fees are astounding! Per night; resort charge $25; excise tax $1.04; Room Tax $6.38; Excisetax-room $2.87 Room Tax $53.56; Excise Tax Room $24.12
Yes, each fee paid per night. What is the state of HI thinking?
The state of HI is thinking that they would like to have your money, and that you do not vote in the state of Hawaii. There is a general excise tax of 4.166% and a Transient Accommodations Tax of 9.25%. The total of 13.416% is not a lot higher than most other locations. New York City is around 20% IIRC.
And the state of HI did! All of that and a resort fee = a lot of junk fees to come and spend a considerable amount of $$$
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum, Fairmont-Pres, Hyatt-Globalist, SPG-Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
For Diamond waiver of the resort credit, were you on a paid stay?
Having just checked in .. and since I used free night certificate .. can confirm that only since we used points, the $25 daily resort fee was waived (if paying it would not have been waived). As we were celebrating a birthday, they also gave a coupon for bottle of champagne. We'll see if we can use the $40 voucher and champagne as same meal.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:51 pm

I just checked out yesterday and can confirm we were able to use the $40 credit and complimentary bottle of champaign at the same meal.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:05 pm

Award discount for multiple nights? Totally confused here.

Okay, so I've read the thread and done a lotta research, but all it's done is to leave me more confused about this

I'm a Gold Member, also a Hilton Amex holder. I'm planning a trip for April 2013. I'd like to stay for 5-6 nights.

Are there any discounted awards available for my situation? Or am I looking at 80,000+ points a night?

Also, when I plug in random dates online, I get an "unavailable for check-in" message, although when I called Hilton Rewards to check, they told me there was availability for the same dates. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by womanofaction
Okay, so I've read the thread and done a lotta research, but all it's done is to leave me more confused about this

I'm a Gold Member, also a Hilton Amex holder. I'm planning a trip for April 2013. I'd like to stay for 5-6 nights.

Are there any discounted awards available for my situation? Or am I looking at 80,000+ points a night?
Yes, there are discounts. They start at 4 nights minimum. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post16556051

Originally Posted by womanofaction
Also, when I plug in random dates online, I get an "unavailable for check-in" message, although when I called Hilton Rewards to check, they told me there was availability for the same dates. Does this happen to anyone else?
The website can be pretty horrible. If an agent will book it for you, take it and don't look back.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:27 pm

Thank you. Makes a little more sense now.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Upgrade and Casabella info

Just got back from Grand Waliea. I am HH Gold and have the GW elite membership. Didn't use points, used Elite member discount (30% off BAR). Booked Terrace room, upgraded at check in to Deluxe Ocean View, which was fine (paid $300 night). I did inquire about Napua tower jokingly and was told it's only offered if they are booked full and have one avail. I've stayed in Napua before and unless you're a big drinker and enjoy a longer walk to the pool it's not the end of the world not to get into Napua on an upgrade.

My tip for those going during high season. Spend $85 and get yourself a lawn casabella-book in advance. This was our thrid time there and we did it this time, what a difference! Don't get up and fight for a chair at the crack of dawn or be forced to be 3 inches from the next guy. You get your casabella and two extra lounge chairs and plenty of room to spread out. No worrying about getting a chair, it's there when you decide to go to the pool or beach. I think I even like them better than the $300 day cabanas. Casabellas 11-18 have the most space, 1-3 beach view. Enjoy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM; AA Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by woodburyhome
My tip for those going during high season. Spend $85 and get yourself a lawn casabella-book in advance. This was our thrid time there and we did it this time, what a difference! Don't get up and fight for a chair at the crack of dawn or be forced to be 3 inches from the next guy. You get your casabella and two extra lounge chairs and plenty of room to spread out. No worrying about getting a chair, it's there when you decide to go to the pool or beach. I think I even like them better than the $300 day cabanas. Casabellas 11-18 have the most space, 1-3 beach view. Enjoy
Can anybody expand on this "Casabellas" option? My family and I are booked at the GW in prime season in late December. I like the idea of not fighting for chairs, but I can't find any information on line about these Casabellas. What are they exactly and how much do they cost per day?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
There is very little info on Casabellas on the GW website, which is why thought I'd mention it. A casabella is essentially a two person padded lounge with a hood. The hood is enough to keep the sun off and the hood can be flipped either way depending on sun location. They do have casabellas close to the pool on the deck, but they are more expensive than the lawn option. The lawn area is between the walking path and hedge/beach. It didn't bother me at all that people walked behind the casabella all day as it's far enough off the path not to be bothersome. I had them fax me a copy of the pool layout with casabella numbers but found their map was completely wrong when I arrived. See my previous comments about locations. Enjoy
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face Here now...

I am here now if anyone has a question I can help with.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:16 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by alexcturner
I am here now if anyone has a question I can help with.
Sorry if some of these seem odd, but important to us for VAC

Do all the pool chairs have cushions on them?
Any issues finding chairs in am (westin Maui some daysneed to stake out chairs per-breaky to get 2)
Is the sand at hotel beach soft or rocky?
How wide is hotel beach sand area shore to water line (erosion like Kanapali or still good size beach area)
Pool lunch menu, any daily food or drink specials?
Pool menu..what's. Mai Tai cost?
Pool area...any quiet spots. Ie less children, noise?

Thanks!
Bigshaker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.