Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by davef139
Under the old AMEX HH you could still get Diamond status if you charged out 60k/year I thought. So that has always been an option it seems this card is just trading $75/fee for 20k reduced charging.
False. There is no Diamond on the old Amex Card. I know, I just spent $72K on my Amex last year and no Diamond extension for me. I also hoped to be in the top 1000 during the promo mentioned a few posts above mine, but $13K over that time period was not enough for me to qualify.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by guiming_miao
Could somebody care to comment if I should upgrade to Surpass card now or wait until that 30,000 first purchase bonus points posts? Notice that is still part of 62,500 bonus points offer from the regular card, but not part of Surpass card sign-up offer. Thanks.
I would recomment WAITING until all your bonus points post from your regular card. I almost got burned on a similar offer a few years back. Fortunatiely, it happened that I upgraded 2 days after my bonus points had posted. Otherwise, per the fine print I later found, I wouldn't have received any bonus points.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
I consider this a cancer of frequent flier/guest programs and I hope it won't spread.

There is nothing there to encourage or reward loyalty.
What really is the difference between a frequest guest at the hotel chain and a frequent user of the co-branded credit card? They are both frequent customers and they both make money for your company. If Hilton decide to reward its best credit card customers with some perks at its hotels, where is the harm? Is this any different than corporate rates or special upgrades for large bookings, etc.? The people who gain status this way are the ones who don't have enough stays to obtain status on their own so where really is the damage to the regular frequent guests? I made my Diamond status by concentrating most of my stays at Hilton but if I can get the same status by charging more on my Hilton credit card, I would probably stay less and theorectically create less competition for upgrades. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wilp888
The people who gain status this way are the ones who don't have enough stays to obtain status on their own so where really is the damage to the regular frequent guests?
Devaluation and decreased loyalty.
Tomorrow someone may come up with a better card and we'll all switch leaving hilton without any loyal guests. But that's not Blackstone's concern as they will dump the assets after squeezing every penny they can possibly squeeze.

I think I agree with you that current elite program members won't be impacted too much. Hilton and Hilton employees (especially long term) will be.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
When I went on the Amex website to pay my bill, the picture of the card is now brown vs the old platinum. Does that mean that theu automatically changed me over, or is it something else

Also for those who were wondering if it's worth it to switch spending from another card to make Diamond, I would say no for SPG folks. To me, the value and redepemtion of the SPG Amex is better, and the higher HH status doesn't get you much (full disclosure - 80% of my HH stays are at HI or ES). Maybe if you spend $40K a year on gas and groceries...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Devaluation and decreased loyalty.
Perhaps.

Tomorrow someone may come up with a better card and we'll all switch leaving hilton without any loyal guests.
"We" are a very small number of the universe of Hilton HHonors members. You magnify our overall importance, especially in numbers. Furthermore, it is doubtful that "we" will all switch and leave Hilton high and dry, as a number of people on this board like Hilton properties, not the least of which it is convenient to where they may travel for business or pleasure. Moreover, again, there are many others who do not participate on this board who are loyal Hilton members and will not desert them. The sky is not falling.

But that's not Blackstone's concern as they will dump the assets after squeezing every penny they can possibly squeeze.
Big Bad Rapacious Blackstone -- Hollywood's muddled view of all corporations has clouded your outlook, no doubt because of their proximity to you. Companies can make a profit and also benefit their clientele -- if they don't, they won't be patronized.

And, by the way, Big Bad Blackstone, has added and is in the process of adding marquee properties to the Hilton brand -- more choices in desirable locations for HHonors members -- so much for "dumping" their assets.

I think I agree with you that current elite program members won't be impacted too much.
Perhaps, but Wilp88 makes some very compelling points. ^

Hilton and Hilton employees (especially long term) will be.
Hilton = Blackstone; Blackstone = Hilton.

As to Hilton employees, given the economic environment with room occupancies falling thru the basement, anything that keeps rooms occupied is a benefit to hotel employees, especially hotel service employees. Thus, the Surpass Card will bring new people into the chain, at a minimum to experience Diamond benefits, and/or to spend their free nights accumulated from the card. Of course the foregoing is a de minimus example, the reality will be greater patronization of Hilton properties for their lodging needs, be it business or leisure travel.

Your predictions are unsupportable.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by TimMeineke
When I went on the Amex website to pay my bill, the picture of the card is now brown vs the old platinum. Does that mean that theu automatically changed me over, or is it something else
The regular HHonors Amex is now brown, and the new Surpass card is a lighter brown. The one shown on the website is the regular HHonors Amex. You can see pics of both cards here (under the "View All Cards" tab).

Kurt
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Also for those who were wondering if it's worth it to switch spending from another card to make Diamond, I would say no for SPG folks. To me, the value and redepemtion of the SPG Amex is better, and the higher HH status doesn't get you much (full disclosure - 80% of my HH stays are at HI or ES). Maybe if you spend $40K a year on gas and groceries...
Spoken like a hard earned SPG Platinum. I bet your outlook would be different if you did not travel that much and therefore had neither Platinum status in SPG nor Diamond status in Hilton. Then, I am confident what tune you would be singing!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

As to Hilton employees, given the economic environment with room occupancies falling thru the basement, anything that keeps rooms occupied is a benefit to hotel employees, especially hotel service employees. Thus, the Surpass Card will bring new people into the chain, at a minimum to experience Diamond benefits, and/or to spend their free nights accumulated from the card. Of course the foregoing is a de minimus example, the reality will be greater patronization of Hilton properties for their lodging needs, be it business or leisure travel.

Your predictions are unsupportable.
I am somewhat torn on this issue, and perhaps I am unjustifiably critical of Blackstone; however Mervyns' bankruptcy reminded me of risks related to some private equity firms.

As for CC - if we assume the promo brings in more diamonds to hilton hotels then it will clearly dilute the benefits of the existing "traditional" elites.

If it doesn't then it's not gonna benefit the hotels or the employees - only Blackstone and CC division.

I do agree that recently added properties enhance the program but at the same time there are plenty of reports of diminishing benefits (read HWV or HHV)

I'll probably follow the suggestion posted earlier to spend enough to clear diamond on CC (assuming my spending permits it) but continue patronizing SPG and Hyatt.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
To me, the value and redepemtion of the SPG Amex is better, and the higher HH status doesn't get you much (full disclosure - 80% of my HH stays are at HI or ES).
I really don't see much difference. Keep in mind that you earn 3 (or more) HH points per dollar spent vs. 1 Starpoint (and up to 29 points/$ on hotel stays vs. up to 5 points/$ with SPG). After you divide the points by 3 (or perhaps 4 since some spending earns more - or 6 or 9 if you use it exclusively for those higher earning items), it's really pretty comparable. For instance, the VIP rewards let you get category 4 from 21k, category 5 from 25k, and category 6 from 29k. Divided by 4, that's about equivalent to 5k, 6k, 7k Starpoints, basically a Starwood Category 3 (or Category 4 with 5th night free). This is great for things like the Hilton Hawaiian Village, for instance.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:38 pm
Suspended

I'll probably follow the suggestion posted earlier to spend enough to clear diamond on CC (assuming my spending permits it) but continue patronizing SPG and Hyatt.

Yes, that is how I view it. If your spending on the cc permits, then it allows one an additional opportunity to make top tier in another program they might not have been able to do, since they perhaps now could earn their way to Diamond via credit card spend -- like others who have chimed in on this thread.

Therefore, as I have noted above, I think it actually permits hard core road warriors additional opportunities they might not have initially considered.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Just got upgradded. $75/year fee, but I was able to get offset credit (for $50) on that for being nice with Customer Reps.

I will have to re-assess after a year if it is worth it, but i would be able to downgrade back to Platinum if I don't feel like the benefits are worth it.

In my case paying $25 for 30,000 extra points and extra 2,500 points for next 8 stays (i always spend at least $100 even on bonus stays) is certainly a winner, no need to even think twice about it.

I upgraded today and when I just called back they could not give me a $50 credit. The rep spoke to their supervisor. How did you do it?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by sharklover
I upgraded today and when I just called back they could not give me a $50 credit. The rep spoke to their supervisor. How did you do it?
They tend to depend allot on the type of customer you are to them, im sure spending does a bit. When i screwed up some timing of payments I had a finance charge billed so put an inquery in and they just gave me a curtousy credit, no questions asked. I had also charged through a good 12k in the first 3months of being a customer.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davef139
They tend to depend allot on the type of customer you are to them, im sure spending does a bit. When i screwed up some timing of payments I had a finance charge billed so put an inquery in and they just gave me a curtousy credit, no questions asked. I had also charged through a good 12k in the first 3months of being a customer.
I charged about $30K in the last year on my card.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
When you qualify for Gold or Diamond through AMEX spend, how long is the status good for? Is it the same as qualifying with stays?

For example, if you go over $20k in October 2009, is Gold good through April 2011?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.