Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:35 pm

sharklover,

I got $50 credit right away, no need for a stay. It truely depends on whom you talk, what approach you take and how long you been with them (for me it has been 11 years). Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sharklover
Is the $50 credit after your first stay? I asked and could not get any statement credit.
They said the credit would appear on my next statement.

Updated to note that my Amex account already shows -$50.

Last edited by Kate_Canuck; Feb 17, 2009 at 5:07 am
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I called today to inquire about upgrading my existing card. By the way, don't select "apply for a new card" when given that option in the phone menu. I did and ended spending about 20 minutes on hold while a very, very nice and pro-active new accounts person tried to figure out what to do and then tried to find someone to help me. Eventually, I got to the right person, who was also very nice and helpful. She collected my questions, put me on hold or a few minutes and came back with answers, which are fairly consistent with what others have said.

- I'll get a sign up bonus equal to 40,000 minus the sign-up bonus I got for the original Hilton Amex. Initially, she said I'd only get 20,000 points, but then I pointed out to her that I'd only received 10,000 points as a true sign-up bonus and the other 10,000 came from 4x 2,500 per stay. I asked her to note in the file that I'm entitled to 30,000 points.

- Calculation of aggregate spend dates back to Jan 1 of this year.

- The card will have the same number as my old one (useful since I'll need that number when I fly in a couple of months on a ticket booked with the old card).

- No credit inquiry - as this is just an upgrade.

- I couldn't persuade them to waive the fee, but they did give me a $50 statement credit (so I'm only paying $25 this year). I figured that was a good deal for the points and the Priority Pass membership, which may come in handy a few times this year, even if I have to pay $27 per visit.

- I doubt we'll make it to $40,000 this year, since we're spreading our charges around a little (especially to the SPG Amex to accumulate some points that will be useful for an upcoming trip to Egypt) and spending a lot less (because we're temporarily down to one income). Next year, we'll revisit whether or not the fee is worth it, or whether we should downgrade to the regular card.
^ Thanks, Kate!
All the same stuff I was told, except I didn't get any statement credit, or discounted first year fee. I didn't think to ask!! My guy Matthew was really nice too; I bet he would have given it to me if I'd asked.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Second try I got the $50 credit. Thank you. This site is so great.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:05 pm
Original Member

The agent I got told me that:

- He could upgrade me in minutes but that since I have a card, I wouldn't
get any of the welcome bonuses. Unless I applied for a new card
- No automatic statement credit only $50 off next stay
- No offers unless I was sent an offer
- The longer I stayed on the call, the worse the offer got....

This doesn't seem to match what others are getting...very disappointed.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:22 pm

I was told I would be getting 30K bonus plus the stay bonuses. The new card is making me stay at Hiltons more often. I just booked 2 reservations today because of it.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sggolf
The agent I got ...
Hang up. Call back.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sharklover
I was told I would be getting 30K bonus plus the stay bonuses. The new card is making me stay at Hiltons more often. I just booked 2 reservations today because of it.
For what's worth, the agent told me I'll get 40K bonus points. I am sure our call was recorded and I also noted the time of my call. If anything, I will ask them to listen to that conversation and award me 40K points if the 40K points do not post.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:16 pm

Called in to AmEx on the 10th to inquire about switching my Starwood AmEx over to the Hilton Surpass. Agent had to look up some details, but was able to confirm the conversion (no change to card #s) and said I should expect new cards in the mail around the 19th.

A couple of hours later (still on the 10th), the front desk at the DoubleTree welcomed me and to my surprise informed me of my HHonors Gold status!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by pstrasma
Called in to AmEx on the 10th to inquire about switching my Starwood AmEx over to the Hilton Surpass. Agent had to look up some details, but was able to confirm the conversion (no change to card #s)
I find it hard to believe that the card number from your Starwood Amex would be carried over to the Hilton Amex Surpass card. Are you sure about this or did you mean to say that your old Hilton Amex card number would be carried over to your Hilton Amex Surpass card.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TC6912
Just upgraded and got 20000 bonus points as well as was informed that AMEX paid for a basic membership in Priority Pass. No visits included.
I seems like I get one of these every year from someone: a black Priority Pass membership card. The visit rates don't seem all that different from the standard day-rates you could simply pay at the door of your favorite airline club.

Am I missing something? I toss the card into my pile of random travel-related cards but have never used it. Is there any value to this membership? (In general, I'm not a huge fan of airline lounges. Even though my UA 1K status gets me into various Star Alliance lounges, I usually don't bother going to them.)
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat HH Diamond
AMEX says I can only have two of their cards

I applied for the Surpass HH card on the internet. My application was declined. I call them and was told the only reason for the refusal was that I already had two AMEX cards: SPG and HH. They would not reduce the spending limits on these and give me a 3rd card. They would happily convert my present HH card to Surpass. I decided to wait and some time in the future cancel the old HH card and then get the Surpass.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I seems like I get one of these every year from someone: a black Priority Pass membership card. The visit rates don't seem all that different from the standard day-rates you could simply pay at the door of your favorite airline club.

Am I missing something? I toss the card into my pile of random travel-related cards but have never used it. Is there any value to this membership? (In general, I'm not a huge fan of airline lounges. Even though my UA 1K status gets me into various Star Alliance lounges, I usually don't bother going to them.)
At least on United the day pass is up to $50. the PP entry is $27.00
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
So if I know im prob not gonna hit the 40k for Diamond and might not use priority pass, is it even worth the upgrade now?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by lvtrader
I applied for the Surpass HH card on the internet. My application was declined. I call them and was told the only reason for the refusal was that I already had two AMEX cards: SPG and HH. They would not reduce the spending limits on these and give me a 3rd card. They would happily convert my present HH card to Surpass. I decided to wait and some time in the future cancel the old HH card and then get the Surpass.
Yes recently I applied for 2 credit cards and both were declined instantly. When i looked up why the 2nd one was cancelled it said because i had the maximum amount of cards. So I called and cancelled some of my cards that i did not use a total of 3. then they tranfered me to the department about the new cards. I was told that at the moment you are only allowed 1 credit card. I asked if I could get my SPG bus card I aplied for because I did not have any bus cards. After a few minutes she got that approved. Also they no longer can transfer over credit limits. My advice to everyone is dont cancel a card because you think you will get another one later. you probably will not be able to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.