Search

Hilton Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, IHG-Pt, HH-D, BW-D
Hilton Wifi

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious if someone can tell me the difference between all the Wifi options at Hilton sites. The options I'm referring to are on the login page (HHonors member, purchase premium internet, complimentary internet, and promo code).

Other than the purchase option, is there a difference between the other three?

Is the HHonors member internet linked to your status with Hilton?

Cheers,
Macmet
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:18 am

I am kind of curious about something related to this as well. At most any property, one can get free wifi as a Gold/Diamond by entering their hhonors login info. However, a lot of properties also have been giving out codes as part of the "hhonors welcome package" or whatever. Many times, I just use my hhonors info instead, and I still get on just fine. However, is the code supposed to be somehow connected to the free "premium" internet that Diamonds are supposed to be getting? Has Hilton corporate ever issued a statement (here or elsewhere) about the actual, official methodology that Diamonds are supposed to employ to access this premium offering?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The premium internet has, ahem, "adult" entertainment options now that Hilton has removed that from pay-per-view.

At least that's what someone told me.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Given Hilton's oh-so-expansive bandwith, watching an adult film in one of their rooms would give new meaning to the term "extensive foreplay"!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

So I guess there are not any Hilton Reps monitoring this thread?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by macmet
Hello Everyone,

I'm curious if someone can tell me the difference between all the Wifi options at Hilton sites. The options I'm referring to are on the login page (HHonors member, purchase premium internet, complimentary internet, and promo code).

Other than the purchase option, is there a difference between the other three?

Is the HHonors member internet linked to your status with Hilton?

Cheers,
Macmet
Take a look at the "Post your Speedtest.net results here" thread.

In my experience, there is little-to-no difference between the paid "premium" (complementary for Diamonds) internet service and the free internet service extended to everyone else.

I've logged in on my laptop using my HHonors ID and password, and then connected with my phone using the free service that requires no credentials. I've then ran Speedtest.net on both devices and the results are almost always identical.

It's a marketing ploy.

I think the hotels, or Hilton corporate, figured it would be cheaper to market the "premium" service to appease the loyal members while not actually doing anything to the infrastructure in the background. The wireless service is just good enough to be usable but not bad enough to run anyone to another chain.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. I will take a look at the thread you mentioned.

I expected to get a response similar to yours.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As a Diamond member, when I just log in with my name and room number, am I getting the premium wifi? Or do I have to do something else?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
As a Diamond member, when I just log in with my name and room number, am I getting the premium wifi? Or do I have to do something else?
Would LOVE to know the answer to this question.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
IME when you login at most properties using your HH account, you will automatically receive the premium speed. You do not have to choose between standard/premium on a subsequent screen, it just automatically logs you in at the premium speed.

I've tested at numerous properties by putting HH credentials in on my laptop (and automatically getting premium), and intentionally using Name/Room # and picking standard on my phone. Speedtests on both have show that standard still clock around 1MBPS, premium is usually in the 3-5MBPS range.

This seems to be the case for the majority of the US locations I've tested. There do seem to be a few that will give a promo code at check-in, in which case I've just used the promo code.

I feel confident enough in the system that I don't bother testing my connection everywhere I go anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.