Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 8:19 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently?
Old May 24, 2021, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by delinquentwoody
Have a stay in the middle of June it no one replies in the meantime.

​​​​
Old May 24, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I stayed for two nights last week. Overall it was a good stay - this is a solid standard 3 star doubletree. Not luxury, but good for a night or two.

I booked the top level room of junior suite (there was not much difference in rates, and there are only 4 of these which are usually sold out so limited option for upgrades). Big room with sofa, and good views of the bridges. The restaurant is decent - would not usually have dinner in a hotel like this, but the menu had a bit of a wider range than the usual and quality was reasonable. Nice cooked to order hot breakfast.

The hotel is well located for driving but not much in walking distance. It is worth walking down the hill to eat at the one local restaurant in the village.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Stayed here last weekend and would echo the above.

Also stayed in one of the Junior Suites with View, I want to say room 451. There were only 3 rooms on the landing, so very quiet. Amazing views, and on good day lovely to have the balcony doors open. It really gets the sun.

The bar was doing room service drinks to the bedrooms to step around no alcohol indoors, but I suppose that won't be such an issue now most of Scotland is in Level 2.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:18 pm

Thanks guys.. sounds like a good solid stopover.. got it booked for a couple of nights next month on the way to the Highlands.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:59 am

Just finished a stay here. Did a price match for this booking via Expedia and the final price for the three nights was around £160 booked in the cheapest category - King Room.

Kept checking the app in the days leading up for a gauge of how busy it would be and the likelihood of any upgrade.. only the King Rooms were available for our stay dates so had pretty much ruled out an upgrade on the basis of it being a busy weekend but got upgraded to a "King Deluxe Room with View" on the morning of arrival.

We checked in early evening which was a pretty seamless experience, the staff were polite and friendly. Received the usual DoubleTree cookies and water, plus a welcome letter. We were informed that housekeeping was available on request and needed to be requested the night before but we did request it "on the day" once and this was no issue. They do have a trolley with fresh towels etc so you can serve yourself if you prefer.

As previously mentioned our room was on the 4th floor, with a view. I believe odd numbered rooms face onto the bridges and even numbers face at an angle towards the estuary - at least in our wing.

The hotel was extensively refurbished/extended by the new owners when it became a DoubleTree in 2015/2016. It was hard to tell if we were in the old part or the new bit.. they'd done an excellent job on the refurbishment and clearly spent a lot of money on it as it was still holding up well these years later. Was really very impressed by the quality of the rooms. The bathroom had a shower over bath - believe some have walk in showers and the higher rooms (suites) have both. Shower was quite powerful but the bathrooms got steamy easily, so not sure if the extractor was working to full effect. Luckily the rooms have opening windows so you can circulate some air - there is AC too. Our room looked over the three Forth bridges. The room had tea/coffee/hot chocolate and shortbread biscuits which were restocked each day. Bed was very comfortable and there were an exodus of plug sockets around the room.

We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night to trigger Amex/Hilton cashback, food was decent. We had mussels, curried monkfish, fish and chips and a bottle of wine. Breakfast was partly self service continental items and hot items ordered from the menu as pictured. It was nice to have some variation on the usual hot breakfast items found in UK hotels. The pastries were prepackaged and not that great but the hot food was fine. The staff seemed happy to substitute or add breakfast items.. For example if you wanted poached eggs instead of fried or bacon with the pancakes it seemed not an issue.

The location between the Forth Bridges is stunning.. which leads me onto my final point on location. It isn't really the perfect base for a heavily city centre based trip. As we've "done" Edinburgh several times and had plans to visit St Andrews and other places via train etc we had no real need to be in the centre. The hotel is around 15 minutes walk from North Queensferry Station but is not a great walk if you have luggage as there are steep stairs along the public footpath that links the two. There are however a number of bus routes operated by Stagecoach just outside the hotel which link the hotel with Edinburgh centre and the airport. As of June 2021 it's £9 for a day ticket covering all Stagecoach routes in East Scotland including up to Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews. We ate dinner in Edinburgh centre on two nights and the bus was a perfectly viable option to get back, departing from Princes Street in Edinburgh. We took the train one night too, which feels a bit longer because of the final walk up to the hotel.

Overall I'd say one of the nicer Hilton properties in the UK. All the staff we had any interaction with were superb.. Very friendly and helpful. To conclude, I would be back!

Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:35 pm

Schwann, it's possible I was there at the same time as you - I stayed for two nights last week! I agree with your remarks - good food in the restaurant, good attentive service and a good cooked to order breakfast with drinks etc served to table. No room service due to covid though. I stayed on points at 30k/night for a river view room which I thought was a bargain. No upgrades though as suites were all full. I chose room 634 looking at the hotel on Google Earth to choose the room as it was hard to tell on the app which had the best views! I think (out of the regular rooms) floors 5 and 6 odd numbered rooms and 534/634 have the best views. Rooms ending in 34 and 35 have beds facing the window, which i don't think the other rooms have (correct me if I'm wrong here). x34/x35 rooms face the new bridge whereas the odd numbered rooms face all 3 bridges.

Regarding travelling into the city centre I took the advice of a comment earlier in this thread, and drive to the park and ride tram stop- a quick 10 minute drive over the bridge then a pleasant half hour on the tram for roughly £3 return I felt was really easy, efficient and stress free (and cheaper than the £9 return on the buses that go from behind the hotel over the old bridge - but these would get you hotel to city centre in half an hour).

Overall i thought it was a great stay and would definitely come back. Here's room 634.

Room 634

View from room
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:59 pm

Thanks for your report delinquentwoody. Out of curiosity and I forgot to mention this in my main review, did you get drinks vouchers? We didn't, but there are mentions in previous reviews so perhaps they're using "economising".

Regarding travelling into the city centre I took the advice of a comment earlier in this thread, and drive to the park and ride tram stop- a quick 10 minute drive over the bridge then a pleasant half hour on the tram for roughly £3 return I felt was really easy, efficient and stress free (and cheaper than the £9 return on the buses that go from behind the hotel over the old bridge - but these would get you hotel to city centre in half an hour).
Yeah, that sounds like a good option for those that come in with a car - we flew up from the south so didn't have one.

No room service due to covid though.
There was! The menu was a slightly watered down version of the restaurant menu - no tray charge either for the time being according to the menu as I recall.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
did you get drinks vouchers? We didn't, but there are mentions in previous reviews so perhaps they're economising.
No, no drinks vouchers, I didn't ask though, they are probably economising.. There wasn't a room service menu in our room and when I asked at reception was told they weren't running it tonight.. perhaps they they had a staff shortage on that particular night.. Loved the food.. the slow cooked beef was excellent, would definitely go back there.
Schwann likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:37 am
cjd

Had a 3 night stay just over a week ago and having been upgraded to a junior suite on our previous visit, decided to book one this time as they appear to sell out quickly. There were plenty of free car park spaces, even though the hotel was busy. Received a nice welcome and pre-booked suite 451 on the top floor which has great views of the river and bridges. The room was very warm on arrival with the sun shining all day. We left the curtains shut each day we were out, otherwise the room would be like a greenhouse. Nice to be able to open the balcony doors and enjoy the view. Air conditioning also worked well in the room. Having visited Edinburgh on many previous occasions, we used the hotel as a base for visiting Falkirk and Pitlochry and hit lucky with a mini heatwave. On our return each day, we ate in the Shore Restaurant and there was a good menu choice which we managed to get to try out. Staff were really busy and never stopped but food and service were really good. Nice that they had the restaurant folding doors open each evening as it was warm each evening. Breakfast was also good each morning. No drinks vouchers this time and I asked and they said they had stopped. Strange that the pending charge came through on my credit card account as the Doubletree Harrogate and I queried this and apparently they own both hotels and are having problems with invoicing. Eventually the final amount came through as numerous zeros on my card account with no mention of either Doubletree! As last time, another very enjoyable stay.
wizla and Schwann like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
Eventually the final amount came through as numerous zeros on my card account with no mention of either Doubletree! As last time, another very enjoyable stay.
This also happened to me on a recent stay at DoubleTree Newcastle Airport, which is another Cairn Group property alongside Queensferry and the Majestic in Harrogate.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:24 am
cjd

Originally Posted by MarcD
This also happened to me on a recent stay at DoubleTree Newcastle Airport, which is another Cairn Group property alongside Queensferry and the Majestic in Harrogate.
The next problem I'll probably have will be trying to get the Honors bonus points from Barclaycard as I'm fairly sure that this won't register as a Hilton stay on my credit card.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I enjoyed my stays here 5-7 years ago but hadn't had a chance to come back until last week. Seems to have gone downhill a bit. In the past all staff were always very friendly and welcoming, this time they were more perfunctory.

Decided to try out the x34/35 rooms as recommended by the post above from 2021. Got a digital key but it was a bit of a faff to use because you have to go through two sets of doors to get to the room. When I arrived the front desk said that as I had a digital key, there would be a letter with key cards in the room. Well there was no letter, and only one key card but it didn't work. Thanks to Schwann for posting a photo of the welcome letter above which includes the wifi password, as there is no other way to gain access and I could not be bothered to go back downstairs - so I just managed with the digital key.

There was a Diamond welcome gift of Pipers crisps. If I had been staying for more than one night I would have tried to rearrange some of the furniture as it was positioned awkwardly with the area near the door very crowded and a lot of empty space on the other side of the bed.

I have good memories of the breakfast here from before, but this time the food was a bit sad-looking and limited. I recall getting individual service including being shown to a table and getting toast plus tea in teapots, but these have gone. They did bring tea to the table but it was premade in flasks and getting cold. There were two jugs of orange juice by the restaurant entrance but these were not offered to anyone coming in (although we turned up quite late so maybe they did earlier in the morning), and I think there was no orange juice at the buffet, only apple and possibly cranberry.

I used points which was still a good deal as most Edinburgh hotels are outrageously priced in July and I would stay again if I needed to, but somewhat disappointed overall.
wizla likes this.

Last edited by :D!; Jul 29, 2023 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
Thanks for the update. Edinburgh hotels are an eye-watering price just now!!

I stayed a little while back. The hotel is quite new and I think the room had a view of the new Queensferry crossing the breakfast was the most memorable part (I had it pegged as one of the better UK Hilton breakfasts) so it’s a shame this seems to have dropped off. It was very busy in the evening with a celebration event so I kept to my room.

I found my way there (with some bags!) from North Queensferry station but the path and steps are steep. On the return I took the bus back to Edinburgh from the stop on the dual carriage way just to the north of the old road crossing (which is used for buses and cyclists now). It’s easy once you know how to get there from the hotel. Again it’s quite steep.

I had a really nice morning walking to and around North Queensferry which is a beautiful spot with great views of the bridges from way below and it’s easy to walk a bit of the Fife Coastal Path. But it’s steep all around the hotel especially down to North Queensferry itself.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Stayed here again last night. Last time we were here was in 2019. The hotel remains in good condition and the room fine with great views. Booked a Junior Suite in 2019 for £64 back then but pricing somewhat higher now so booked a King Room with View for £137 which was upgraded on the day to a Deluxe King with View. Ended up picking 634 which is photographed upthread.

Nothing much to add from other recent posts. Rather frosty check in and no diamond recognition apart from putting the key card in a diamond wallet. The end of drink vouchers feels a bit mean given that most DoubleTrees I stay at in the UK give them, including the two other Cairn Group DoubleTree properties at Newcastle Airport and Harrogate. There was two bags of crisps and two Tunnocks bars in the room however as others have noted.

Didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening. I was expecting breakfast to have gone significantly downhill which it has at Newcastle Airport and Harrogate but was pleasantly surprised, although smoked salmon was notably missing since last time.

The lift to the 5th and 6th floors was out of action this morning which was a bit of a niggle but upped the step count for the day. Also had to rely on digital key to get back in the room after breakfast as the physical key while letting us into the weird 634 and 635 hallway wouldn't open the room door.

Occupancy was low at the start of Easter week. Overall it was a solid stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.