Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton gift card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Buying Hilton gift card

I just got the Amex Hhonors credit card which offers $100 property credits at Hilton. WIll buy the Hilton gift card online qualify for the $100 statement credit? How about if you buy the gift card at a Hilton property?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by LHR king
I just got the Amex Hhonors credit card which offers $100 property credits at Hilton. WIll buy the Hilton gift card online qualify for the $100 statement credit? How about if you buy the gift card at a Hilton property?
From the terms of the offer:
$100 Hilton Honors Statement Credit
To qualify for up to $100 in statement credits, eligible purchases must be charged on your Hilton Honors American Express Card directly with a property within the Hilton portfolio, including bookings and incidental charges, within your first 12 months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to make eligible purchases may be shorter than 12 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 12 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. The statement credit will be applied 8-12 weeks after each eligible purchase. Eligible purchases for this offer include those made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. To earn the statement credits for charges made at the time of booking, the booking must be made directly through a reservation channel operated by Hilton. Eligible purchases for this offer do NOT include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchase of travelers checks, purchase or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or other cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. Your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment of any offers. If your application is not received by 7/6/2022, we will not process your application even if we later receive your application. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:20 am

Amex is known for going into the details of purchases and disallowing purchases of gift cards. You never want to risk something like this with Amex, i suggest you find a legit reason to use it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Schnit
Amex is known for going into the details of purchases and disallowing purchases of gift cards. You never want to risk something like this with Amex, i suggest you find a legit reason to use it.
Gift cards purchased at/through a property (vs. HH) work fine for this purpose and there have been no reports otherwise.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Gift cards purchased at/through a property (vs. HH) work fine for this purpose and there have been no reports otherwise.
Its a clear violation of T&C. It might work, but I dont think its worth the risk when you are dealing with Amex
puchong likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:10 am

Hilton gift card

I have an Amex offer on my Hilton account. Spend 1000 in the americas get 200 back. I’m not going to spend that much in the americas by the end of the offer period. Is it possible to buy Hilton gift cards, in person at an eligible hotel, and use them abroad?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by happy10345
I have an Amex offer on my Hilton account. Spend 1000 in the americas get 200 back. I’m not going to spend that much in the americas by the end of the offer period. Is it possible to buy Hilton gift cards, in person at an eligible hotel, and use them abroad?
I can't speak definitively about Hilton, but even if your plan worked, you'd lose between 50-100 of value from ridiculous FX rates that hotel chains apply to USD denominated gift cards at international hotels.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by happy10345
No, Hilton gift card is issued by AMEX and can only be purchased online, it will show up as purchases from AMEX.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by rdchen
No, Hilton gift card is issued by AMEX and can only be purchased online, it will show up as purchases from AMEX.
I don't think you are correct. I believe Hilton gift cards are issued by Hilton ( or if not at least they show up as Hilton purchases and get the correct number of points (12X for Surpass)) and there are reports that they do work for the Amex Hilton Surpass $50 quarterly credit.

No idea if it will work for the OP on the AMEX offer but
sobore and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Hilton gift cards can be purchased in-person at some hotels, or online. The latter do may not earn the Hilton Surpass AmEx card $50 quarterly credit; the former do get the Surpass credit.

Gift cards can indeed be used worldwide, but there are more reports of non-U.S. locales being less familiar with the procedure, as well as foreign exchange issues.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Feb 17, 2024 at 4:24 am
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:57 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Hilton gift cards can be purchased in-person at some hotels, or online. The latter do not earn the Hilton Surpass AmEx card $50 quarterly credit; the former do get the Surpass credit.

Gift cards can indeed be used worldwide, but there are more reports of non-U.S. locales being less familiar with the procedure, as well as foreign exchange issues.
There are definitely reports of online gift card purchases earning the AmexEx Surpass $50 credit. I personally know it worked in December.
SPN Lifer, mpeterson78 and sobore like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: HH, *G
I have yet to find a front desk at a Hilton that will sell me gift cards. I believe it's possible, but it's been very hard to find.

However, I've done it frequently enough for Fairmont's and Marriott and Four Seasons properties though, and it's been easy. (Also had no problems using those places GCs in other countries via the exchange rate (USD-CAD, USD-EUR, USD-GBP). All were fair rates.

For Hilton, my only real success is pre-paying for incidentals, etc if I am actually staying and the offer will expire... but that's worked pretty well.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
There are definitely reports of online gift card purchases earning the AmexEx Surpass $50 credit. I personally know it worked in December.
Did you purchase the gift card directly at hilton website last Dec?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by susieling
Did you purchase the gift card directly at hilton website last Dec?
Yes, purchased from Hilton in December '23. Had a few prepaid Hilton nights purchased in 01Q24 so did not need to purchase them any more recently so not sure if it has changed.

Just a point - they can NOT be used online for prepaid rooms. (I think that is pretty clear at time of purchase but could be missed....)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:03 am

Can you post or DM me the link to buy the gift cards?

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Yes, purchased from Hilton in December '23. Had a few prepaid Hilton nights purchased in 01Q24 so did not need to purchase them any more recently so not sure if it has changed.

Just a point - they can NOT be used online for prepaid rooms. (I think that is pretty clear at time of purchase but could be missed....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.