Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel alarm clocks going off - what's reasonable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel alarm clocks going off - what's reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I always check the alarm clock as i am a terrible sleeper and have never needed an alarm to go off, so I want to make sure its off. I do a lot of hampton inns and yes I have had to actually have someone from maintenance come up to reset the time and they had to use a screwdriver to make the time adjustments. unplugging does not unpower the lock. a real pain!!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by nlkm9
I always check the alarm clock as i am a terrible sleeper and have never needed an alarm to go off, so I want to make sure its off. I do a lot of hampton inns and yes I have had to actually have someone from maintenance come up to reset the time and they had to use a screwdriver to make the time adjustments. unplugging does not unpower the lock. a real pain!!
My experience too. Huge pain in the rear.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
You're entitled to your opinion the same as I am. I personally don't see the point in them whilst you do we could debate it all day long. My opinion ain't going to change and I'm guessing yours won't either although I won't resort to calling you foolish because you have a different viewpoint.
I wasn't calling you foolish. If that's how you took it, I apologize. I was referring to the procedure you suggested to determine the time.

Why ask a guest to find the TV remote, figure out which button turns on the TV, randomly scroll through stations to find a news station (that isn't on a commercial), find the time on the screen (without glasses/contacts for some), and decipher the time zone when a simple alarm clock does the same task instantly? That just seems like a very guest-unfriendly concept.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:06 pm

Seemd like the time is often incorrect on hotel alarm clocks and there is no way to set the time. Also, most have battery backups so unplugging them may not do any good. I never set the alarm, relying on my mobile phone's built in alarm.
Ok... Occasionally, I set the clock if I have to get up very early and the people next door have kept me awake with a loud TV or partying. Then, I might set the alarm to a local radio station, preferably RAP, and crank the volume WAY up and program it to go off a couple minutes after I leave the room.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I always forget to check if they are set or have been left set by a previous guest. 2:00AM off it goes...totally dark and I have no idea how to turn it off. I guess beating on the top of it I must have it something to shut it off. I would never trust one if I really needed to get up at a certain time. Always, phone alarm and wake up call.

Kensterfly....what about the people in the room on the otherside...the ones that didn't disturb you?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr

Common sense means always check bedside alarm clock/radios and disable alarms (or unplug where possible). And these days also check the TV
But it shouldnt be. Its the job of hotel to ensure all features of the room are in working order and in case of alarm clock it means alarm should be disabled before new guest checks in.
Two nights comp is excessive but i see grounds for complaint.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
Most hotel telephone systems are capable of letting you programme a wake up as are the televisions
You are staying at a lot different hotels that I am. You say most, I say 5%...maybe less.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
You are staying at a lot different hotels that I am. You say most, I say 5%...maybe less.
Maybe it's a UK thing. Hilton is the only chain I have stayed at recently that always have separate alarm clocks. The last two I stayed at had an alarm clock in the room and a clock built into the TV that could be set as an alarm.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Most of the Hamptons , HGI's, and Homewood's I've stayed in have the same type alarm clock that you can't change the time (unless you have your little screw driver and know how to take the faceplate off to adjust). The last two hotels I was in the time was off; one 48 minutes slow, and this stay exactly 12 hours off; i.e. am and pm time were reversed. While not getting woken in the middle of the night, you won't get your alarm on time if am/pm is wrong, so I always verify this. And always set a wakeup call and/or phone reminder too if it's for an early flight.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I use an alarm clock at home. Not having one at a hotel would be a major issue for me.

What happens if you misplace your phone or forget your charger? How would you even know what time it was without an alarm clock?
Perhaps you might consider getting one of those things called a "watch"? :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.