Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Southampton - Utilita Bowl {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GentleGiant
2024 Events at the Hilton Southampton - Utilita Bowl that may be of interest or potentially affect your stay! (positively or otherwise!)

Cricket:

As always, all fixtures are listed here:

https://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/fi...ults/fixtures/

Please see this excellent post by GentleGiant about the terms and conditions of watching cricket matches from your hotel room: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30120444-post198.html

Various Special Events that may be of interest or affect the hotel occupancy:

The live events (concerts, special event dinners, etc...are published in this calendar:

https://www.ageasbowl.com/ageas-bowl-live/

Golfing:

Boundary Lakes Golf Course Info:

The Boundary Lakes 18 hole Golf Course at Ageas Bowl is now open and may increase hotel occupancy so affect room availability, pricing and upgrades going forward.

Golf Course webpage is here:

https://www.ageasbowl.com/golf/

Please feel free to post any other relevant info on this hotel in this wiki and update it as required, or post in the thread and someone will update it in due course. Thank you. Suggestions for the wiki welcome! (last updated: 02/08/21)

Print Wikipost

Hilton Southampton - Utilita Bowl {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:41 am

I stayed at this hotel at the end of March. Its a great hotel, especially if you get a room pitch side.

However, there is no recognition of Hilton Gold at this hotel, I had to argue the case with the receptionist that Golds are entitled to free breakfast. I even had to show them my Hhonors app and the corresponding paragraph on my booking (got it eventually after the debate). No lounge access for golds either.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
The hotel isn't necessarily wrong before we go putting it down.

Exec lounge access is guaranteed for Diamond, not for Gold, they do not have to give you access, only if you have a room on the executive floor or above. Otherwise its a space available upgrade, which includes 1 cat to perhaps deluxe- it happens for Diamonds too.

Also, your my way benefit could have been set at 1000 points instead of free breakfast, which they may have misconstrued. Some members opt for the points in lieu of breakfast. Golds dont always get a free breakfast. Perhaps they could have asked though which you preferred without lounge access.- especially with the App

Just saying as it might not have been as simple as "poor" treatment.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I have to stay when we stayed last year the hotel was excellent, some confusion over the Spa, but it didn't spoil the stay and it was good value for money. Very nice hotel.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Firmed this hotel as my pre-cruise stay thanks to the positive replies.

Only issue is that I won't be driving. How accessible is the hotel with public transport ? Are any shuttles avaible to the retail outlets / Southampton ?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
The hotel isn't necessarily wrong before we go putting it down.

Exec lounge access is guaranteed for Diamond, not for Gold, they do not have to give you access, only if you have a room on the executive floor or above. Otherwise its a space available upgrade, which includes 1 cat to perhaps deluxe- it happens for Diamonds too.

Also, your my way benefit could have been set at 1000 points instead of free breakfast, which they may have misconstrued. Some members opt for the points in lieu of breakfast. Golds dont always get a free breakfast. Perhaps they could have asked though which you preferred without lounge access.- especially with the App

Just saying as it might not have been as simple as "poor" treatment.
I agree with your point about lounge access not being guaranteed for golds.

My personal MyWay settings are set to free breakfast rather than points. I had to argue the case with the receptionist who informed me that the hotel is a "franchise" hotel and operates to a different model to regular Hiltons. The receptionist even produced a laminated display that the staff use for HHonors benefits, which clearly stated free breakfast for diamonds only. To their credit, they did allow me the free breakfast after me pointing out the gold benefits outlined on my booking summary in the app.

Its either a training issue or perhaps the franchises do operate differently. Either way, its inconsistent.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by wantan
Firmed this hotel as my pre-cruise stay thanks to the positive replies.

Only issue is that I won't be driving. How accessible is the hotel with public transport ? Are any shuttles avaible to the retail outlets / Southampton ?
Hi wantan, I am sure you will enjoy the hotel before your cruise, it is a great Hilton for the amenities offered, service and quality.

Re: public transport: there are buses travelling to and from Southampton city centre (and over the area) run by First bus network (website here).

Botley Road is the main road about 300 m from the hotel (as you would walk it). Give the First website a try for working out routes that would suit you. (Botley road is served by X4/X5 line apparently from the route map and the nearby 'next' area to the hotel is called 'West End'.

Hope that helps. Of course, you could always take a taxi but that would be expensive.

Safe travels.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:55 am

We have found taxis called by the hotel to be considerably cheaper than those at the airport and port- £5 less for the fairly short journey to the airport. Buses aren't cheap- so it might be worth weighing it up. The train station (Parkway) is about £11/12 (the airport is more expensive somehow, so get off at the station and cross the road!), and its about £16 to the port. Its over £3 each on the bus, with cases etc up to you, but its not far.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:57 am

Up post, franchises surely can't make the rules up- lots of hotels are franchises aren't they? Seen something similar though with do you get a drink voucher or not (doubletree heathrow, ricoh arena etc- but I like both hotels).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
pitch view from exec lounge?

Looking at booking this for the Eng-SL T20 bash in July - rooms currently going for GBP270, so an excellent use of 50k points.

I would expect the hotel to be chokka, so not relying on a pitch-view upgrade, but can someone confirm that the EL is also pitch-view, so with guaranteed EL access as a diamond I should be golden (as it were)?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Looking at booking this for the Eng-SL T20 bash in July - rooms currently going for GBP270, so an excellent use of 50k points.

I would expect the hotel to be chokka, so not relying on a pitch-view upgrade, but can someone confirm that the EL is also pitch-view, so with guaranteed EL access as a diamond I should be golden (as it were)?

Thanks
I'm fairly sure that the executive lounge does not look out onto pitch......I think If I remember correctly the windows were quite high up.....botb?....any thoughts?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by wizla
I'm fairly sure that the executive lounge does not look out onto pitch......I think If I remember correctly the windows were quite high up.....botb?....any thoughts?
ooooo - that's slightly buggered up my plans - pitch view rooms are going for 157k points, and I was looking for two of them
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
ooooo - that's slightly buggered up my plans - pitch view rooms are going for 157k points, and I was looking for two of them
Mate, I'm not 100% sure....get a second opinion on this, botb stays here a lot he may be able to help, or try phoning hotel perhaps.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Mate, I'm not 100% sure....get a second opinion on this, botb stays here a lot he may be able to help, or try phoning hotel perhaps.
wizla - no worries, I'm not going to do anything rash . Thanks for the advice anyway, and I'll wait for BotB or similar to come along, or indeed phone the hotel
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:58 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
wizla - no worries, I'm not going to do anything rash . Thanks for the advice anyway, and I'll wait for BotB or similar to come along, or indeed phone the hotel
Hi Stewie Mac, wizla is correct, the exec lounge is on the wrong side of the hotel and looks out at the car park not the pitch (coincidence? I think not!)...also, restaurant is pitch facing but they put up screens to block the view from restaurant so that is not an option.

Unfortunately, ONLY way to watch match is to book exec room, as they do not upgrade diamonds on match days to exec rooms so you would get room facing wrong way unless you book an exec.

Sorry for the bad news but at least you can decide what strategy to follow...hope a sale comes along soon to help!

Best regards
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Hi Stewie Mac, wizla is correct, the exec lounge is on the wrong side of the hotel and looks out at the car park not the pitch (coincidence? I think not!)...also, restaurant is pitch facing but they put up screens to block the view from restaurant so that is not an option.

Unfortunately, ONLY way to watch match is to book exec room, as they do not upgrade diamonds on match days to exec rooms so you would get room facing wrong way unless you book an exec.

Sorry for the bad news but at least you can decide what strategy to follow...hope a sale comes along soon to help!

Best regards
Thanks BotB - plan b is to go for a Hants T20 match and get a one bed suite (extra space is for the boys, so that's okay), which is a more liveable 150k points for the night... and means no 'will we/won't we' concerns about upgrades. [especially if, as you say, we won't!]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.