Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:57 am

www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/50

"Up to 50% OFF CYBER SALE, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikoloa Village"
DiverDave and worldiswide like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ayase
#3 Highly Recommended: Free Street parking next to Yacht Club/Sailing school. The whole block leading to Hawaii Yacht Club has free street parking on both directions of the road on the right hand side. Yes you can park for free right next to all the expensive boats. Left hand side is permit only, dont park there. Free overnight parking, 24 hours maximum. It's always available any time of the day. I think there are many spots, and that road is kind of obscure for tourists. It's about 5-10 minute walk from there to Rainbow tower of the hotel, depending on how far on the block you park.
So, I was considering renting a car for my trip tomorrow if the free parking I had read about is easy, and I just clicked on the link provided then went to street view and along that stretch there are payment boxes with signs that state "No Public Parking" (Here's a Link to the Streetview), sure doesn't look free or welcoming, or is the Streetview out of date?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by kylew
www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/50

"Up to 50% OFF CYBER SALE, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikoloa Village"
Thanks for posting this. Just getting back into traveling, and was able to reduce a booking in December in HNL by a few hundred dollars for a three night stay and rate was "reasonable" enough in Kona to put back points and pay for the nights.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The HHV is having a Kama'aina sale for $179 a night, no resort fee and free parking for 1 car. Think there was something else but can't remember. Saw the ad for it on TV last night. Hilton Waikoloa Village has Kama'aina rates and discounts too. So if you live in the islands and want a getaway...
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Canceled my original reservation and rebooked the corner suite "up to 50% off" sale. Now fingers crossed I don't get put on floor 3 lol
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
2021 updates

Anyone been here lately and care to comment?

I did find these positive notes on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hilton/comm...aiian_village/

Last edited by scottemick; Dec 1, 2021 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:27 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
We were there last week, it appears elites are getting good upgrades into the Rainbow Tower lately, we were on the 30th floor (out of 31) and second room from the ocean (all the rooms on the corners are King beds with two lanais, which I've seen reports of Diamonds getting) which is definitely a positive. The downside of Rainbow tower is the potential for long elevator waits. $15/person/day food and beverage won't go far, though it will cover breakfast at the Wiki Wiki Market. Pools are crowded, I think that's a constant theme, we lined up at 8:45 AM one day to get chairs at the Super Pool when it opened at 9:00 AM, they were all gone by about 9:01 AM.

If you're a Football fan, the Tropics Alehouse is a short walk from the hotel with NFL Sunday Ticket and a few decent drink specials, when I found it on Google at first I thought they were referring to the Tropics Restaurant and Bar at the HHV, but it is a separate (and more reasonably priced) alternative a short walk away.
scottemick likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:51 pm

I am one of those Diamonds that was upgraded to a high corner (1 floor below the top, if I recall right) king. Nice room and overall experience - I was very content to open up the sliding glass doors and let the warm breezes come through...

But at the same time it's not really a 5-star hotel, keep that in mind.
scottemick likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh
I am one of those Diamonds that was upgraded to a high corner (1 floor below the top, if I recall right) king. Nice room and overall experience - I was very content to open up the sliding glass doors and let the warm breezes come through...

But at the same time it's not really a 5-star hotel, keep that in mind.
Going there on Monday. Based on posts in this thread, I have low expectations - booked a room in the Ali Tower so will report if upgrade is given. What rooms should I be looking for - any help greatly appreciated. First time in Hawaii, used to the treatment of Diamonds all over Asia, but I know that is not the case here.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Going there on Monday. Based on posts in this thread, I have low expectations - booked a room in the Ali Tower so will report if upgrade is given. What rooms should I be looking for - any help greatly appreciated. First time in Hawaii, used to the treatment of Diamonds all over Asia, but I know that is not the case here.
We have to always book the Ali'i rather than hope to get in, by doing this we have always been upgraded sometime better than others. While the Ali'i is not what it once was still the privacy of the pool and upgraded rooms makes it nice
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
We have to always book the Ali'i rather than hope to get in, by doing this we have always been upgraded sometime better than others. While the Ali'i is not what it once was still the privacy of the pool and upgraded rooms makes it nice
Thanks, that was our thought as well to book into that tower and see if we can improve within the tower.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
About to head to the airport after our stay here. Things seem pretty much the same as when we were here in May as far as rules and what is open, with the exception of the Tapa bar now being open 5pm-10pm. Hotel was listed online as sold at 3 days out from arrival, but didn’t seem very crowded at all. Beach was easily 2x or 3x more people this summer. The small pool right beside the Hau tree bar has been closed and is pretty cloudy looking, maybe because of the storm?

one interesting point was when I texted the number to extend our room to 6pm on departure day, they replied back that our room type (corner suite) was booked for that day and we could only be extended. I replied that I checked the app and I could book 5 rooms for arrival on 12/11. They replied right after that saying thanks for your patience, you’ve been extended to 6pm check out.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:22 am

Diamond

Just got here… I booked 5 nights points and two free night certs. Only diamond upgrade was ocean view from tapa tower. I guesss that’s the best I can get without spending any money. Tapa tower is a little dated but the room will work for us. Don’t expect any upgrades is pretty accurate. Overall great deal on points I think.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:26 pm

Stayed here last week (as well as in Kona and Hilo on the big Island) , and thanks for all the advice on this forum prior to arriving. Our expectations were pretty low. First time Hawaii visitors, with lots of experience in Asia and Oceania in many Hilton properties.

The Good, bad, and the ugly:

Ugly was not the hotel's fault at all. We arrived the night of December 6th to a torrential rainstorm - so a bit difficult to navigate getting to the hotel and once there to find the the Ali'i tower. (GPS takes you to the back road of the tower, but there is no way to get to a door from the street) but..

Good: booked a resort view room and upgraded to ocean view as diamond. We didn't ask for a corner room so dont know if that would have been available. Even in the pouring rain, we had two housekeeping requests that were completed in less than 5 minutes. The tropics bar and grill tried their best to get people in and out on this rainy night without reservations and with long lines, and service was really good. We had no reservation and were in the restaurant in less than 15 minutes at 7:30 at night. All of the staff at front desks, restaurants and around the resort were very service (friendly, attentive, and efficient) oriented, and cheerful. Bathroom design was good with separate toilet area , and large closet (especially compared to later stay at Waikoloa where rooms were awful). I know others have a lot of complaints about the parking fee, but I think it exists in every city hotel - paid more for overnight parking in Nashville a month ago, so not really a complaint there. The beach was nicer than I had expected and perfect for a sunrise morning walk.

Bad: room decor is definitely dated and tired. Food and beverage credit did not cover even a continental breakfast. The hotel doesnt make it clear that restaurants in the rainbow village cant be charged to your room and are separate entities. Would have liked those costs to be on the folio for points.

Would I stay here again? We were in Honolulu more for the cultural sights than the pool and beach, and did Iolani palace, bishop museum and a full day at pearl harbor; - We prefered the wide open spaces of the big island to the city, but hotel was not a bad value overall. We paid here, and used points for big island where prices were much higher and we thought points a better value there.
boxo likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort (HHV) - Exceptional Property at a great price

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

2005 Kalia Rd Honolulu, HI US 96815

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort (HHV) - Exceptional Property at a great price (3 Photos)

I have stayed at hundreds of hiltons and this one is tops for me.  YMMV but friends of mine have the same opinion about the place. I give it 5 stars though it is a 4 star hotel when compared with say the ritz.  Other thank check in time, which I really didn't mind, everything at this hotel is top notch.  

Over all my wife and I hit the bars a few times and charged restaurant meals to the room and only spend $280 over 5 days.  I did ask for a late checkout and received it at no charge for 1pm on the last day.  

We did the submarine tour that disembarks right from the HHV.  This is really cool if you haven't been on a sub,  You go out about a mile and get on a sub that takes you down 100 feet under water where you see some sunken ships, reefs, and airplanes along with tons of colorful fish, sea turtles, and sharks.  We also saw dolphin pods on the way out on the boat.

pic: Beach view of the resort from the water
20211213_111035.jpg

Check In

We arrived into HNL on Thursday 12/9/21 and rented a car from National after waiting a long time for luggage.  The luggage system at HNL has issues and seems to be on "Hawaiin Time".   I had reserved a Jeep Wrangler, but of course they had given it away to someone else, but they gave me a 4WD Jeep SUV, so I was happy with that.  We drove from the airpor  to the HHV at around 4pm.    This is a time of heavy traffic, but it still only took about 30 minutes to get there.  Returning to the aiport only took 20 minutes when we departed on a Monday afternoon at around 230pm.  Outbound traffic was much lighter than inbound.

Pic of check in lines.  Diamond is to the left, general to the right.
20211209_181140.jpg

We self parked in the deck as valet is not availble.  Parking runs $49 a day if you don't have it included with your room rate.  I booked with points and avoided any resort fees.  We waited in the Diamond check in line about 20 minutes.  The general line looked to be about twice as long, making their wait approximately 30-40 minutes if I had to guess.  This was the only major drawback, but I chatted with a friendly group from Chicago behind me while my wife was parking the car.  We ended up seeing them throughout our stay and some other friends we made around town and at the hotel.  Even if you check in digitally, you have to go to the desk to get a wristband for proof of covid vaccine, otherwise you'll have to show your vaccine card or safe travels bar code at each and every food place in the resort...The wristband is a great convenience,

Room

Pic of the room
20211209_172252.jpg
At the desk the lady thanked me for being a diamond member and asked me to be patient while she searched for an upgrade.  I didn't even heve to ask.  She found me a round in the rainbow tower with an ocean view.  The room was very spacious with a King bed, office desk/table,  Large screen tv about 50" that we mostly didn't watch.  The room also had a safe, refrigerator, ironing board and iron.  Standard coffee maker non kcup type.  
The room was very clean and up to date.  

Service

We dropped off our bags with the bell desk pior to check in and got a ticket.  When I arrived up in my room  I called the bell desk and they brought it up.  The guy who brought it up was very friendly like everyone else I encountered and actually gave me a tour of my room and pointed out all the features and some other helpful hints.  I called the bell service for laundry and they came and picked up my laundry and delivered it the next day.  I used the lost key desk twice and got my key card replaced.  The hotel issues you towel cards.   You can take th towel cards down to the pool and exchange it for a towel.  Then, when you turn the towel back in, you get the card back.  Lost cards are supposed to cost $20.  I thought I lost my towel card and the key card desk lady offered to give me another one, not mentioning any charges.  However, I found my towel card. 

Dining

We ate at the blue water shrimp restaurant after check in for dinner.  You can get a  lobster dinner there for $28.  I thought the prices were very resonable for a resort restaurant.  
Another place we ate at quite a few times was the poke bowl & tea place.  Prices here also very reasonable, you could get a Thai Tea with topping and a poke bowl with rice and sald for under $20.  I highly recommend either of these restaurants.
We also ate lunch at the tropic which has outside seating on the beach.  The burger there was amazing.  My wife had the nachos which were also very delicious.   We had drinks at the Tapa bar and Tropic.  Despite any baller tips, drinks were made strictly with 1 oz of alcohol and I didn't ask for stronger, though I am used to getting better drinks with tips, I just got an extra shot.  
For breakfast I found a New York deli place that had a great Triple play that includes a loco moco and pancakes with fresh fruit...Very delicious, a bit expensive for breakfast, but hey its a resort.  I think I paid around $20-30 for that.
There are so many dining options you really don't have to leave the resort and we ate at least half our meals here.

Overall

First let me say I had read many criticisms of this hotel on Flyertalk and elsewhere.  Some are true like the fact that you will likely have to wait to check in.  Some facilities are still closed or limited hours.  However, the positives vastly outweight the few minor negatives by a mile.

The pools were all open except one when we got there.  The next day, all the pools that I could see were open.  The water wasn't the warmest, but decent.  I didn't see any hot tubs anywhere, there might be one hidden somewhere.  

The hotel is located maybe 1 mile from downtown Honolulu.  There are taxis lined up at all hours to take you quickly anywhere you want to go.  We took taxis and lyfts to a few places we didn't feel like driving and the prices were quite reasonable.  $15 to downtown honolulu.  $35 to Helena's an authentic Hawaiin food place about 20 minutes away.  Taxi to Moku Surf shop was about $15 as well.  
We drove to the North shore in about 30-45 minutes on a saturday morning.  I was surprised at how quick we got there.  You could probably skip the car rental and use lyft/taxi for the entire island.

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort (HHV) - Exceptional Property at a great price

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.