Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Plat
Diamond Benefits / Happy Hour v. Breakfast

We were at the Conrad late June last year and had an unbelievable trip. As to some of the post recently...the weather was great...very warm requiring A/C and as long as you are exposed to a breeze the weather is never too hot...however if you venture behind a building or are blocked from the breeze (on a leeward villa deck) it can be very very very steamy.

As to the breakfast vs. happy hour we fortunate enough to stay on the water villa island which provided happy hour and we chose breakfast as our diamond benefit. Breakfast is highly recommended as it gets you off to a great start (full menu) and you can avoid a full lunch which can add up over 10+ days. As far as happy hour there were always beers and the drink of the day (Shark the bartender's creations!) which were great...except for one day. If you have to choose...it all depends on how much you want to drink or if you are a breakfast person....and just figure out the most efficient benefit.

As to the excursions...we did the sunset cruise (as we were diving most of the trip) and had the boat all to ourselves...a great sunset, peaceful evening, along with soft drinks, pringles, chicken nuggets, and mini-sandwhices. Although low(er)-class than the norm in the Maldives this was a great break from the usual---we also got to see tons of dolphins.

If you are looking for another excursion...the Private Island is worth it...not much to do---except hang out, eat, stroll the beach, swim, and enjoy the truly private time. If you have the ability to dive...do it! World-class diving.

Great trip....excellent resort....well worth the Hilton points. Enjoy.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Any repeat guests?

Anyone here ever go to the Conrad Maldives multiple times?

Do they do anything special for your 2nd and 3rd trip back?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:42 pm

Do they still serve complimentary champagne at the Vilu and Atoll buffet breakfast? I know they did in the past.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:45 am

No

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Do they still serve complimentary champagne at the Vilu and Atoll buffet breakfast? I know they did in the past.
No complimentary champagne (or water) were served at Vilu or Atoll while I was there. They did have free-flowing juice/coffee/tea ...and they had juicers handy to make your own concoction.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:20 am

thank you. also would you happen to know what the cancellation policy is for the special dining events? Koko, Wine Cellar, Private BBQ? Is it a 24 hour cancellation without penalty?

Also, what is the cost per person for the underwater restaurant for cocktail hour (11am)?

thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:02 pm

They DO offer complimentary champagne at Vilu for breakfast. I am here now and have had some every morning.

Full trip report when we get home next week, but this place is amazing!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:48 pm

thank you. also would you happen to know what the cancellation policy is for the special dining events? Koko, Wine Cellar, Private BBQ? Is it a 24 hour cancellation without penalty?

Also, what is the cost per person for the underwater restaurant for cocktail hour (11am)?

thanks!
The cost of the underwater cocktail was $50 and included a single glass of champagne or a glass of fruit juice. Also included were a few light appetizers; probably about 4 bites total. Highway robbery to US standards, but a bargain if you're in the Maldives But we had a great fish show: lots of amazing fish around and about the underwater eatery. So as expensive as it was, it was worth the experience.

As far as cancellation policies, yes, 24 hours. Although while I was there, there didn't seem to be too many people doing the public meals, so they seemed to be more flexible (i.e.: they canceled a dinner for me on the morning of the dinner.)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:44 pm

who is the best island host? any recommendations for someone who is above and beyond? thx
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:14 pm

also, if one had to pick between the Wine Cellar dinner OR the Private BBQ dinner, which one would you choose?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
who is the best island host? any recommendations for someone who is above and beyond? thx
I doubt that many (if any) people will have an opinion on this. You don't get to choose (although I suppose if you requested one..). Plus, almost no one I have seen on this thread has been there multiple times to compare different hosts.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
My partner and I have a week booked at the Conrad Maldives in June. After some quick research on the Maldives in general - I have read (to no surprise) that homosexuality is illegal and same-sex relationships are not tolerated.

What are people's thoughts on acceptance of a same-sex couple at the resort?? We are not into PDA and would obviously respect local customs and laws. Assuming the above - does anyone anticipate problems?

I normally avoid countries where being gay is illegal - but I thought a private resort might be a little bit more accepting. Again, not in terms of PDA - but rather a same-sex couple checking in together, sharing a bed and dinner reservations.

Thoughts?
Specifically, at the Conrad resort, you should not experience any problems per say. There were a few gay couples that I could tell when we were there. One even engaged in a PDA during sunset on one of the ferry between the two islands with lots of other guests onboard but my guess is they think it was too dark and so felt safe enough.

While many staff are imported from elsewhere, there is a substantial number of Maldivian staff and there is a mosque on the main island, you just can't see it. It's for the Muslim staff who live there. However, the concept of homosexuality is quite blurred for many non-Western cultures. In nearby India for example, men holding hands with other men is considered purely platonic. My understanding is this does not apply in Maldives as a Maldivian tour guide once expressed disapproval about seeing Indians doing this in Maldives (there are a lot of Indian workers in Maldives) but nonetheless, I think they will have a fairly high tolerance for what we could call PDA in the West (except maybe French kiss) before they even get the idea that you are gay.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question dinner at Rangali Bar instead?

Hello weatherboy, my wife and I are light eaters at night, and don't want to spend so much on buffet dinner. I heard from tripadvisor that the food is cheaper and just as good at the Rangali Bar. Is it a good dinning option at Rangali Bar? What kind of food do they serve there?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:45 am

Anyone know the cost of lunch at Ithaa and whether it's necessary to pre-book at the moment? I read in an earlier post that lunch was cancelled at least once due to lack of bookings.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Anyone know the cost of lunch at Ithaa and whether it's necessary to pre-book at the moment? I read in an earlier post that lunch was cancelled at least once due to lack of bookings.
The island host has just answered my question. For the record:

Cocktails 11:00-12:00 $55 + 10% per person.

Lunch 12:30-14:30 $195 + 10% per person (min 6 persons required).

Dinner (no children policy):
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday at 18:30; Wednesday and Saturday at 20:30 $320 + 10% per person.

Dress code smart casual, including trousers for gentlemen.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:11 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Thumbs down

I'm in the process of booking an award stay and I never saw such an incompetence center.
(the reservation center at the property)

I'm using HH points
Diamond level
I'll be already in Male, not arriving by plane on the day of the check in date

A) the seaplane transfer is not available the first day because the last transfer for a paid guest is not compatible (nothing to do with operational hours, plenty of time and light). Please notice the magic word: paid guest.

B) forced to stay at an hotel in Male, the Hulhule is fully booked (no point, I asked to pay for it). "could you afford it ?"

C) with a cancellation policy of 7 nights I'll be informed the day before about the departure schedule... wow ! Who is going to be informed because I'll be sailing ? Perhaps the hotel.

D) I have no idea when the seaplane will leave the following day, from 6am-4pm ! It could be everytime even when it was not schedule the previous day

E) I spoke on the phone with the most dense representatives.

F) the upgrade from a basic beach villa (award) to a deluxe one is now 296 USD + 10% tax, forget 100 USD

G) I feel the most undesired guest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.