Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Parc 55 San Francisco - A Hilton Hotel {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parc 55 San Francisco - A Hilton Hotel {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Hilton probably should have focused their efforts on a gut of that newer Parc 55 (could have even turned it into a Conrad, well, I wouldn't do that now based on the tourism/lack of conventions) property and making it very modern, but didn't.
I could see it as a Conrad, at least in theory. But it's still a relatively old building (opened 1984) and the cost to upgrade (particularly given bay area construction costs) would be tremendous. And while it's certainly convenient to BART, it's also a slightly dicey location for a luxury property.
SPN Lifer and Michael19887 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Kacee
I could see it as a Conrad, at least in theory. But it's still a relatively old building (opened 1984) and the cost to upgrade (particularly given bay area construction costs) would be tremendous. And while it's certainly convenient to BART, it's also a slightly dicey location for a luxury property.
I guess my opinion of the Conrad brand has been tarnished a bit by Resorts World Las Vegas's "modern Conrad" offer. Thinking of that, this property is more than adequate for a major remodel and conversion to Conrad.

If the Intercontinental over on the other side of Market Street is an appropriate location for a luxury location, the Parc 55 location is too.

Alternatively if the convention business was still what it was I'd say this Parc 55 could be a conversion to Signia.

There are a lot of options but if the tourism/convention business doesn't come back to the levels of pre-COVID it is all a moot point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by storewanderer
If the Intercontinental over on the other side of Market Street is an appropriate location for a luxury location, the Parc 55 location is too.
That's a swing and a miss. The Clift's location was once just fine for a luxury property. It is no longer. Along the same lines, while undoubtedly there was a case to be made when the IC was built that the Howard & 6th location would gentrify, that obviously didn't happen, and I seriously doubt The IC is knocking the lights out these days, either. If I were investing in a luxury property, it certainly wouldn't be in the Parc 55's location. The tenderloin has basically been creeping into Union Square, and it's now swallowed up the Parc 55.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
That's a swing and a miss. The Clift's location was once just fine for a luxury property. It is no longer. Along the same lines, while undoubtedly there was a case to be made when the IC was built that the Howard & 6th location would gentrify, that obviously didn't happen, and I seriously doubt The IC is knocking the lights out these days, either. If I were investing in a luxury property, it certainly wouldn't be in the Parc 55's location. The tenderloin has basically been creeping into Union Square, and it's now swallowed up the Parc 55.
This is an unfortunate reality. I guess if one expects the situation to improve (...I know), we would say in another 3-5 years, the Parc 55 location will be cleaned up (or at least back to its early 2020 surrounding area status). At the same time as long as business travel is down, conventions are down, and tourism is down, it is going to be a long stretch to get anyone to invest in a luxury property at this point. At this point the best one can home is at least basic repairs and maintenance of existing properties so they do not fall into complete disrepair.

What the Howard Street IC has on its side is being a more modern structure, large almost floor to ceiling windows in the rooms, and larger sized rooms. I really like that hotel. Location not so much but in the past going a few blocks into the more happening areas wasn't a big deal.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:43 am

I agree. I've stayed at the Parc 55 a few times over the years and even as a Portlander, I've had a few moments while walking in the area. I never visited SF a couple of decades ago so I'm not sure what the history is of why it's there, but it did seem less than ideal. I'm pretty hard to shake, I imagine small town our international tourists would not be thrilled if they took a wrong turn.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It sounds like we might want to stay at the Parc 55 San Francisco while we can still earn Hilton nights there.

Given the large number of tourists walking north and south on Powell Street, not to mention passing cable cars, it is far safer than some of the other nearby properties mentioned in this thread.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Honestly, it's not that it's "unsafe;" it's just kind of gross. Most of those homeless people are harmless, but can occasionally be too aggressive with the panhandling, or yell and act crazy because of drugs or mental problems. Over by the nearby Hampton Inn, there was a passed-out guy on the street urinating all over himself and the sidewalk while passed out. Sad.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MissJ
I agree. I've stayed at the Parc 55 a few times over the years and even as a Portlander, I've had a few moments while walking in the area. I never visited SF a couple of decades ago so I'm not sure what the history is of why it's there, but it did seem less than ideal. I'm pretty hard to shake, I imagine small town our international tourists would not be thrilled if they took a wrong turn.
I lived not terribly far from there in the mid to late 80s, and it was never a savo(u)ry area. The level of unpleasantry waxes and wanes, but never hits completely derelict yet never approaches luxurious. And since the long term memory is apparently 'the last to go," I am reasonably confident in my memories. Lest we forget the name-your-preferred-deity-forsaken 5th and Market area before the soon-to-be-former-mall happened. I was right by there on Sunday and it was perfectly not horrible. Even the cable car line was up to the next block. A modicum of street smarts and "don't walk due west" when leaving the hotel, and it is perfectly fine enough.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and jamesteroh like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've just booked an SFO trip and was looking at this property and it looks like a not-so recommended one?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by daenous
I've just booked an SFO trip and was looking at this property and it looks like a not-so recommended one?
It’s a completely forgettable property unless you get one of the suites with an outside deck and amazing view. Lucked out once with one of those as a comp upgrade when they gave me a room that was still occupied.
daenous likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:03 pm

It's okay if the price is right. Absolutely nothing special at all.
SPN Lifer and daenous like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have it booked in Mid-December for a little over $100 a night with my corporate rate. I remember when this use to be a higher end rennassance and even though I was Hilton diamond at the time (when diamond actually meant something), I would stay at Parc 55 just for location. A little nervous about it being in foreclosure though but I'll just stay at a Hyatt if they close.

I hope they don't start charging a resort fee. The Hyatts in that area in SF are charging one now.
daenous likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

I hope they don't start charging a resort fee. The Hyatts in that area in SF are charging one now.
Given the current joys of wandering around San Francisco these days, this made me shake my head.
jamesteroh and daenous like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks guys, I have booked for around 100 USD a night for now. Fully flex as I just need something. I will have to do some research on a better property closer to time or maybe during the sales.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:28 pm

Thanks guys, I have booked for around 100 USD a night for now. Fully flex as I just need something. I will have to do some research on a better property closer to time or maybe during the sales.
For $100/night it's fine. The Hilton options in SF are not particularly good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.