Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
These criteria are closer to the old Marriott lifetime criteria while the ten years as a Diamond parallels the SPG requirement of ten (not necessarily consecutive) years as Plat (plus 500 nights) for lifetime PlatMinus status.

I'm surprised that no one has made a literary reference (or joke) about diamond appearing at one thousand and one nights.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nicksaab
So how many diamonds out there got absolutely nothing then?

No 100k, no 2x3x rewards and no lifetime?

I have 7 years Diamond, 500+ nights - nothing at all.
Same, I got nothing. I have 5 years as Diamond and 4 years as Gold, just shy of 400 nights, and had a killer couple of years in '13 and '14 with over 200k base points and 90+ nights both years.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I requested a count from HH via e-mail and received a response in less than a day. The night count included award nights, and it will take them up to 10 business days to provide a night count for paid stays.

I've been a Diamond for 8 years, and at the rate I'm going I will be LTD in about in about 12 more years. (I used to really benefit from the rolling tier qualifications. )

A meaningful Lifetime Gold would be nice, as that would likely be within reach for me.

David
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by snapper6768
First of all a lie on the levels...but what really cracks me up is the timing this took them. Did it really take months for Hilton to come up with 10 years and 1000 night....good lord...what a crock....and they are not following it
I suspect you are correct. I think it is highly likely they cannot publish the real threshold and simply came up with one that generally fit. That is why they put the language in about it being at the discretion of HH.

I also think that the lifetime thing is not very important considering what Diamond is and how to achieve it. If it was worth all that much, it would be worth 30 stays.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
For the 1,000 night requirement is that 1,000 total nights since being an HH member or just since achieving gold?

And for the 10 years of diamond will credit card status count or just earned status?

I have over 1,000 night including the years I was gold and have been a diamond for seven.

Dual HH and Hyatt diamond. Seeing how stingy Hilton is with the highest speed wifi and giving late checkouts, I am trying to move any stays I can over to SPG when possible from Hilton since I get decent internet speeds and a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout so won't qualify this year on nights for Hilton diamond but can easily put $40,000 on a credit card to maintain the status.

It would be worth it for me to put the $40,000 a year over the next three years on a credit card if it means lifetime diamond status, but I am not sure if those three years will count towards the ten year requirement or not.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:36 am

Location: CA; Husband AA Lifetime Plat/7 MM; HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by agehall
You don't see him much, do you?
Well, I do sometimes travel with him.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
I am curious about the 10 year thing. If you spend a thousand nights in 3 years shouldn't you still get it?
Dude, do you need somebody to explain how 'and' is used in setting out qualification criteria? Complain that you don't like the criteria, but they are plural here and Hilton sets them as it sees fit.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
The PAID night requirement is going to keep me from achieving LT Diamond. I qualify for Diamond on stays, most paids are at lower end properties (HI, HGI, DT), awards at higher end properties.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SADDE6
I would agree it's good to recognize first and foremost those who have spent 1,000 nights, however, if the requirement remains at 1,000 nights I suspect it will drive away more people than it attracts.
Especially with Diamond currently being the only lifetime tier.

My father has been Diamond for about 7 consecutive years (he's not exactly sure). Most of his stays are at least 5 consecutive nights in properties in Europe and at the Beverly Hilton, so he qualifies on base points. He said that he'll "never" hit the 1,000 night requirement for Lifetime Diamond.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
17 years straight Diamond isn't good enough for them

17 years in a row as Diamond averaging 40-50 nights per year (granted...on the lower end) and I'm still not even close to making the requirement. Lifetime Diamond would have brought me back, but now I'm glad I've moved most of my business to Marriott. Even the credit card nights count towards lifetime there.

If Diamond were super special, I would agree with the tough requirements, but even as Marriott Gold, I get treated much better than HH Diamond.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, United Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
I just got my lifetime Diamond status email as well! While the threshold is high, it's something that is clearly earned by building loyalty, which is the intention of the program. I have had Diamond for 14 years with at least 100 plus paid nights a year. I too hope there will be some type of tier bonus in the future, i.e. Suite upgrade or some type of perk. I often think if you stay double the Diamond stays of 120 per year, or even a 100 a year, there should be an upgrade priority for you, ie suite perk. I never ask for it, but it would be nice.. Anyway thanks Hilton for doing this, as it will be a nice perk for when I retire, and I'll stay with Hilton as a result.
Right on, I have been Diamond now for over 13 years straight and always have at least 150 paid/nights per year. It's nice to be recognized as a Lifetime Diamond, but put some additional benefits against it like allowing a family of four to get free breakfast and to go in the Executive lounge in the evening, or a suite upgrade as you suggest, it will then give others more to strive for, not to mention reward that long term loyalty.

I will say though that for the most part, most Hilton properties have been very accommodating when I do travel with family on occasion, but making it a clear perk for attaining Lifetime or even Diamond would give people something to work toward and probably draw others in from competing programs.

I know some are complaining about the 1,000 paid nights and 10 years, but that's what makes it more exclusive and in recognition of long term and consistent loyalty ^

I very much enjoy my United Global Services level, I spend a lot of money with United and have been a loyal customer for many many years, as a result they recognize that and give me some pretty nice and exclusive perks.

For those saying 10 years and 1,000 paid nights is tough to achieve, consider the airlines, on United to get lifetime Gold you need to have flown a million base miles, two million for Platinum, three million for 1K and four million for lifetime Global Service. Now I do 200,000 to 275,000 base miles a year, so 20 years and a huge amount of dollars on UA metal to attain lifetime in their highest tier, 40 years if you do a healthy 100,000 base miles a year.

Hilton, I think you have it right, 10yrs/1,000 paid nights, let Marriott and Starwood lower their requirements then have them lose the exclusiveness of attaining the level in the first place, but please give us Lifetime Diamonds a few extra perks in reward for our long term and consistent loyalty to Hilton.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Dude, do you need somebody to explain how 'and' is used in setting out qualification criteria? Complain that you don't like the criteria, but they are plural here and Hilton sets them as it sees fit.
Dude, he IS complaining about the criteria.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Hilton Testing Diamond member loyalty

Wow, I hope Hilton is reading these boards. I think they took something with LTD and this 100K promotion and thought they had good things in place and what they really did was irritate and alienate.
They have to know that nothing is a secret anymore and that information travels in real time on the internet.
So they are either stupid with these promotions or they just don't care what loyal members think.....and I am not sure which of these scenarios is worse
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Complete incompetence at HH about this. Per the suggestion of another poster I sent this email to HH:

I am trying to determine how many paid nights I have toward the 1000 required for lifetime diamond status. I called the Diamond Desk and they were unable to provide. Another HH member suggested that I email this address as they had been provided the answer within an hour.

Can you provide me with the # of paid nights I have?"

This is the response I got:
Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Lifetime Diamond Status. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Our records indicate that your account has registered xxxx total nights since your enrollment on March 31, 1994.

To achieve Lifetime Diamond Status, you must have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (non-consecutive) and completed 1,000 paid nights. The 1,000 paid nights are over the life of the HHonors account, not only the years the Member achieved Diamond status.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the Hilton Worldwide Service Center location nearest you.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html

Best regards,

XXXXXXXXX
Diamond Coordinator
Customer Care Email Department
Hilton Reservations and Customer Care
www.hiltonworldwide.com

How are we doing?

Hilton Worldwide strives to offer the world’s best customer service in every interaction. We would love to hear your thoughts on your experience with the last email representative to assist you. Please click on the below survey link to be redirected to a new survey tool geared towards improving the service our email team provides:
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
My loyalty is being tested.

990 Total nights (I thought I had over 1000 but was mistaken)
21 consecutive years as a Diamond Member

Not good enough for Lifetime Diamond Status

Too good for the 100,000 bonus points and 2x/3x promotion

While Hilton is handing out rewards nothing for me and many, what I would consider extremely loyal, customers.

My brother-in-law has been trying to get me to convert to Marriott for years. He called to ask me how I made out with Hilton's new promotions and got a great laugh when I told him that he was right - I should have made the switch over a decade ago. The good news is I have another 10 years of heavy travel so can make LT status in Marriot if I choose. The fact that Hilton cannot even tell me how many PAID nights I have out of the 990 total is mind boggling. Thought about switching my stays the next three weeks in NYC, Berlin, and Istanbul but decided to stay put for the moment.

Rant over - I feel a little better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.