Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:36 am

I find upgrades differ based on where you stay, so this could explain most of the posts in the thread tbh.
SE Asia are great for upgrades usually. Aus pretty hit and miss. Europe was good too.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wantan
I'm surprised by the "no upgrade at all" comments. As Diamond (either LT or getting close) isn't there a Hilton where you are already a regular at ? In my experience, the more often I stay at a property the better the chance of a suite upgrade. There are a few places now where I'm almost always upgraded to a Suite. Of course this is after more than 100s of nights there over the years.
15ish year Diamond (LT for 4 or 5) and there is only two properties that I'd currently consider myself somewhat regular at -- one is a few nights every 2-3 months, one is 4 nights once a year. Otherwise due to the nature of my business, most hotels are maybe 2-3 times then it could be years of ever before I'm back to the city let alone the property.

I'm also not in the "never upgraded" but "infrequently upgraded" camp with most of my true upgrades (vs "regular king" to "executive king" or other such meaningless distinctions) are outside of the US. My every fes months hotel is about a 20-40% upgrade (king to king with jacuzzi every time save for one studio suite last year)... The other I'm pretty sure doesn't know I've ever stayed with them before each time I show up and has never upgraded me.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try to stay out of these debates, as I frankly do not really give too much credit to these claims. There is no hotel that I am a "regular" at whether Hilton or other properties that does not usually upgrade me. The levels of upgrade may differ, often for justified reasons. As a 20+ year Diamond and LT "Founder" I would say that I am upgraded more than I am not (and if I am at some slammed event, where I know that there is no avails in the entire town, I know not to expect anything). Leaving out the occasional Hampton or HGI, where there simply is often nothing to be upgraded to, I find that overall I am upgraded more than I am not upgraded, and only experience shenanigans in mid level US cities, at mid level Hilton brands (such as, "we have nothing else available", and then having to show them that they have 10 categories available all the way up to a Presidential suite.

I do find that upgrades being done before one arrives are a direct indication of how good the property is managed. Good properties review their arrivals at least the night before and proactively assign upgrades. Bad properties have children doing check-in that look at you with a blank stare and tell you that there is no availability even though the hotel is at low capacity. In the post Covid world there is a lot of this going on, with clueless check-in staff and even front desk managers, far more than it used to.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:50 pm

I’ve noted this before, but as a LTD I frequently receive the best upgrades and/or other perks when FD staff notices my high point balance. Yes, this isn’t the way it is supposed to work but when they notice (likely fairly new staff, which is increasingly the case) I’ve had some nice stuff tossed my way. Also very common to get the same sort of “going above” at properties I stay often…which is the way it should work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
but as a LTD I frequently receive the best upgrades and/or other perks when FD staff notices my high point balance.
+1.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got upgraded to Presidential Suite at Hilton Waikoloa for a 4-night stay...
fed planner, Xyzzy, Fredd and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:42 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
I was delighted recently to receive the Bose noise cancelling earbuds with the black card - I had completely forgotten there was a gift at the time of qualification. The earbuds are amazing, nice gift.

Upgrades wise I am in the sometimes group. This forum is the best place to figure out where an upgrade is more or less likely IMO. I go with the suggestion not to expect it but to be delighted when it is offered.
Hippo72 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:03 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Got upgraded to Presidential Suite at Hilton Waikoloa for a 4-night stay...
Awesome, and congrats!
What room category did you book, in order to receive this upgrade?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:04 pm

Programs: Life
Almost a year since.LTD, any timeframe when is the lifetime welcome.gift is send?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gogooo
Almost a year since.LTD, any timeframe when is the lifetime welcome.gift is send?
Where are you located?

Within the US it was about 4 to 8 weeks after receiving the welcome email asking to confirm the address on my profile.

I don't know if we have many/any data points for LTD outside of the US/UK, but certainly if you haven't received it in a year you should ask Hilton.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:36 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't know if we have many/any data points for LTD outside of the US/UK,.
I'm in Norway, and I received the welcome kit a couple of weeks after reaching LTD.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: Life
Address in Malaysia. Contacted D-desk and they said it takes time as done by a third party? Any Honors Lurker here able to assist?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
About 8 weeks for me. I'm in the UK.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
LTD Gift - maybe 6-7 months for delivery

I made LTD on January 6th, 2024, and was asked to confirm my delivery address for the LTD gift a few days later. Fast forward to the end of March and I had not received anything, so I contacted the DD. They said that I could expect my welcome package "By May, July at the latest". WITAF Hilton? Seriously, get it together... You can debit my CC in a few minutes, update my points in a few hours, but it takes you months to post a welcome gift? Problem is I am likely to have moved by the time they decide to mail the 'gift'...

Last edited by timfountain; Mar 31, 2024 at 11:43 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:01 am

I wouldn't stress about it. It’s not as nice as the original gift…the only item of value is a pair of pods that is a downgrade from the Bowers and Wilkins set provided in the past; no more choice of gift cards. Not a big loss if you don’t get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.