Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
To confirm, it is not okay for a hotel to decide they aren't going to honor benefits, and if anyone else has a similar issue, please PM me with details! I'd be happy to look into it for you.
Thank you, Anthony, I'll keep that in mind! Appreciate your willingness to help.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:05 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Anthony, thank you for the diligent follow through!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
it is not okay for a hotel to decide they aren't going to honor benefits
Would you be able to articulate Hilton's official position as to why "Hilton Hhonors Promotions" (the quarterly promos - phrasing verbatim from the website) are not considered features of the "Hilton Hhonors Program" and thus are not subject to the statement above? What other aspects of the Hhonors program are hotels allowed to selectively decline?

Last edited by arlflyer; Jul 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Would you be able to articulate Hilton's official position as to why "Hilton Hhonors Promotions" (the quarterly promos - phrasing verbatim from the website) are not considered features of the "Hilton Hhonors Program" and thus are not subject to the statement above? What other aspects of the Hhonors program are hotels allowed to selectively decline?
Let's all remember what Anthony's position is with the company and the value he has already brought to this forum. With that in mind, let's not treat him as if he is a hostile witness in a criminal proceeding!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Let's all remember what Anthony's position is with the company and the value he has already brought to this forum. With that in mind, let's not treat him as if he is a hostile witness in a criminal proceeding!
My apologies that it did come across that way. I didn't mean to conflate the person that is Anthony - he's been great (and has helped me out personally) - with the company that he represents. But i don't think many people are pleased with the opt out list. Hilton should be either committed to having a cohesive companywide strategy or not. I just wanted to get that across as food for thought and maybe something to pass up the chain. Sorry that it came across negatively.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by controller1
+1 ^ We've got a person here who seems genuinely willing to hold authentic dialogue with the customer base. Please let's stow the prosecutorial tone.

i don't think many people are pleased with the opt out list. Hilton should be either committed to having a cohesive companywide strategy or not. I just wanted to get that across as food for thought and maybe something to pass up the chain. Sorry that it came across negatively.
I'm not happy with the outrageous promo opt-out rate domestically either, as I've made clear elsewhere, but I am quite sure it's not Anthony's to control or fix. We can be unhappy with the corporate machinery that kicks out these misnamed "systemwide promotions" while still being civil to our guy and appreciative of his time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm not happy with the outrageous promo opt-out rate domestically either, as I've made clear elsewhere, but I am quite sure it's not Anthony's to control or fix. We can be unhappy with the corporate machinery that kicks out these misnamed "systemwide promotions" while still being civil to our guy and appreciative of his time.
Ok, got it. Let me build on my prior post more constructively:

Anthony, thanks for the response confirming the fact that hotels are not allowed to individually deny benefits to hhonors elite members at their own discretion. It is great to hear this from corporate, and I think that a lot of people would appreciate seeing this position reinforced across the program. Almost all of the complaints we see on here about hhonors boil down to one general theme - inconsistency. Properties implementing the loyalty program differently, discrepancies in pricing, opt-outs from companywide promotions, different interpretations of "high" and "low" season award rates, etc.

One of the strongest reasons many of us have for choosing a global hotel brand is consistency - honestly a better hard and soft product can many times be found for less money through local independent operators or private rentals. Consistency means knowing what we're going to get even when other things (the city we're in, the time zone) may be new and unfamiliar. If Hilton can focus on reinforcing and regimenting its brand standards universally, I think many of us would applaud and be grateful for that action.

If you can communicate this customer sentiment upward to any extent, I think it would be very welcome.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Consistency means knowing what we're going to get even when other things (the city we're in, the time zone) may be new and unfamiliar. If Hilton can focus on reinforcing and regimenting its brand standards universally, I think many of us would applaud and be grateful for that action.

If you can communicate this customer sentiment upward to any extent, I think it would be very welcome.
For some things, we will never have consistency. Ever notice that when McDonald’s or whatever runs a promo, it always says in small print at the bottom something like “not available at all locations”? Well, the same is true with hotels.

Hotel owners make decisions to participate (or not) in each promo. Some don’t want to deal with it, some may be resorts, some have 90%+ occupancy and really don’t need it, etc. Whatever the reason, they opt out and Hilton says that’s okay. IOW, that kills the consistency that all of us would rather see but this is why we don’t and won’t have it.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t have more consistency with rules regarding Gold/Diamond benefits that are companywide. IMO this is one area where Anthony could be particularly helpful because frankly, I don’t feel any particular love from Hilton corporate about this. The recent comments about Golds being upgraded before Diamonds is a good example.

PS – I thought what you said originally was fine. Never took it the way others seem to have read it.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
For some things, we will never have consistency. Ever notice that when McDonald’s or whatever runs a promo, it always says in small print at the bottom something like “not available at all locations”? Well, the same is true with hotels.
Marriott seems to have figured out the secret to not being like McDonalds.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
Certainly if the conventional wisdom for HHonors becomes that Hilton is unable to enforce brand and program standards then the loyalty program becomes irrelevant in the booking decision.

I'm disappointed there hasn't been resolution to this. The handful of times I've had issues with SPG were usually addressed within hours, not weeks.

I suspect the reason for this is the GM for the property is interim and on the way out. Although I'm told the management company isn't changing. Maybe that's the real issue. More and more the franchisee properties are owned by anonymous investment groups with a Delaware PO Box (which is the case for this property). They hire a management company to run things day to day. I feel that when a property isn't run by the owners I think price and profit become the measures of success.
Could the contract for your group have been signed when the property was a Sheraton, before it was reflagged in about 2012 as a DoubleTree?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Marriott has a few properties that do not fully participate in the rewards program. These properties are listed in the fine print of the program and can be counted on two hands. Everyone else participates fully in all systemwide promotions. There are some targeted promos that are limited to some customers for smaller groups of properties, and there are some smaller systemwide promotions like the recent United-Marriott promo that apply at only some properties. Still, Marriott has promotions that do not have a huge opt out list. The cost of promotions is bundled into the overhead of the rewards program at Marriott. If you have to pay for it, you might as well offer it. I imagine the same type of thing occurs at Hyatt for their systemwide promos as well.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the contract for your group have been signed when the property was a Sheraton, before it was reflagged in about 2012 as a DoubleTree?
The hotel became a Doubletree on July 8, 2011. (I was hoping it would switch a week earlier, so I'd be able to get points in both programs.)

The contract probably did predate that (it's an annual convention that's been there since 2001), but this issue didn't arise in 2012. (I wasn't there in 2013.)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Marriott seems to have figured out the secret to not being like McDonalds.
I remember, many years ago, seeing full-page NY Times ads for Marriott's "Two For Breakfast" weekend rates that said they applied to all hotels except the Times Square Marriott.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Ever notice that when McDonald’s or whatever runs a promo, it always says in small print at the bottom something like “not available at all locations”? Well, the same is true with hotels.
The McDonald's outlets that do not participate in promotions are almost always special-case locations such as airports, where the price points and sometimes menus are different. There's never been a McDonald's national promo that 30 to 35 percent of stores opt out of. It'd make a mockery of the brand and the promo.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
The hotel became a Doubletree on July 8, 2011. (I was hoping it would switch a week earlier, so I'd be able to get points in both programs.)

The contract probably did predate that (it's an annual convention that's been there since 2001), but this issue didn't arise in 2012. (I wasn't there in 2013.)
New manager, old contract. Maybe the guy saw that the contract was with Sheraton and assumed that Hilton benefits didn't apply.

However, the "we're not doing..." flippant phrasing was unfortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.