Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Marriott seems to have figured out the secret to not being like McDonalds.
Respectfully disagree. Have had instances with MR as well as SPG, IME find these are typically property-related issues than corporate problems.

One of the great things about FT is the discussions about specific properties. Sharing this info is how all of us learn. Sure there are anecdotal one-off’s but with enough input, we learn together there are some props out that there – regardless of flag – that are just better than others.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
It'd make a mockery of the brand
This. Hilton has a branding problem. Well, a number of branding problems. For one, it has way too many brands without distinct identities. If you drew a Venn diagram of Hilton brands, about 5 of them would overlap. Everyone's been to that awesome HGI that's better than ALL the full-service Hiltons in City X...and then there's the reaction that just uttering the words "Conrad NYC" brings. But the point being, Bear is right on target and echoes the root of the problems here - lack of brand cohesion and adherence.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
New manager, old contract. Maybe the guy saw that the contract was with Sheraton and assumed that Hilton benefits didn't apply.

However, the "we're not doing..." flippant phrasing was unfortunate.
Why would a Doubletree manager, seeing a contract that was originally with the hotel as a Sheraton, assume that the contract specified that Hilton Diamond benefits wouldn't apply? (When it was a Sheraton, Starwood Gold benefits did apply, so the contract certainly didn't say benefits were to be ignored.)
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Could the contract for your group have been signed when the property was a Sheraton, before it was reflagged in about 2012 as a DoubleTree?
New manager, old contract. Maybe the guy saw that the contract was with Sheraton and assumed that Hilton benefits didn't apply.

However, the "we're not doing..." flippant phrasing was unfortunate.
Originally Posted by sethb
Why would a Doubletree manager, seeing a contract that was originally with the hotel as a Sheraton, assume that the contract specified that Hilton Diamond benefits wouldn't apply? (When it was a Sheraton, Starwood Gold benefits did apply, so the contract certainly didn't say benefits were to be ignored.)
I think sethb's experiences mirror my experiences more or less. I think given what the event staff and HH staff have said it wasn't a contract issue.

What has changed is the ownership of the hotel, several GMs and a different management company.

I did a little sleuthing it appears the hotel "GM" that responded to me is actually an operations leadership person from the management company (west coast based from what google says). I don't think this guy is on site day to day. That also would explain why it took Anthony a bit longer get a response since he couldn't just call the property. It's unclear if he's actually the GM or oversight until they put one onsite (if they operate with one onsite).

I'm speculating from the other folks cc:d on the email and the tone of the response that it was a decision from the local operations folks. I don't think it necessarily represented the SOP for the organization, so hopefully this gets some behaviors to change from others at the property.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:57 pm

All chains have problems. Comparing Hilton to Starwood or Hyatt is not useful as Hilton is much bigger than both combined.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Everyone's been to that awesome HGI that's better than ALL the full-service Hiltons in City X...
Yes and what a very pleasant surprise it was too. 2013 at the HGI in Santiago Chile - a great little full service hotel in a lousy (airport) location. Hopefully the location will improve with age.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hilton has a branding problem. Well, a number of branding problems. For one, it has way too many brands without distinct identities... the root of the problems here - lack of brand cohesion and adherence.
There's two problems actually. The brand cohesion / adherence issue is real, and serious, as you say. The stated brand hierarchy, from HI at the bottom to Conrad at the top, is undermined by too many real-world examples. Everyone knows of cases where a lower-tier branded hotel is nicer/better than a nearby upper-tier one (the Crystal City Hampton Inn is much better than the shabby Crystal City Hilton, and usually priced higher too), or where a property's brand designation doesn't make sense in the overall scheme of things (I had a nice stay at the Conrad Dublin this spring, but still have no idea why it was a Conrad and not a regular Hilton).

And obviously they have no idea what to do with Doubletree; the Doubletree brand is effectively the discard pile for random properties, from airport motels to swank resorts, they don't know how to categorize -- taken together the Doubletree lineup has no common attributes except cookies.

The other problem is the one that sparked this thread: wildly varying service levels within brand categories. Denial of elite benefits is a sub-concern within this problem category. Most who know New York City would opt for the nice little HGI in Hell's Kitchen, or even the HI further north on 8th, over the horrible New York Hilton, where you can't even have room service anymore. It's the Port Authority Bus Station of large New York hotels. But the Times Square Hilton, down on 42nd/41st, is OK. There's no way to know these things short of first-hand experience. But that erodes the overall brand promise as well.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:59 am

the Doubletree brand is effectively the discard pile for random properties, from airport motels to swank resorts, they don't know how to categorize
Hehe, this one made me laugh out loud because it is so true. And to add to that - don't forget about acquisitions. When Hilton acquires a legacy hotel that they have no idea what to do with, the first thing they do is slap "Doubletree" on it and fire up the cookie ovens.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'm still waiting to hear back on the same issue (same hotel and weekend).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:57 am

I have had it with several programs

I have been denied upgrades with Priority Club Platinum. I had Royal status, and got charged for my mini bar at one hotel.

I was offered a upgrade at Hilton (Diamond Status), but was told only smoking rooms for the upgrade. And I have been denied late checkout many times. As the hotel was booked for a convention.

Things happen and your benefits are a perk, not a right. And if you do not like that, then find a new hotel.

But when I am not upgraded, the hotels I stay, usually do something special for me to say sorry.

I got a free Dinner in Dubai, because they could not upgrade my room. and honestly, it did not matter for me. I was there for a week, and never in the room. There is more to life than worrying about the size of your room.

My requirements for a hotel are, clean bathroom, and comfy clean bed. Everything else is negotiable.

Enjoy your stay.

I stay at the IC in Dubai and used reward points for the lowest cost room, and because they know me, was upgraded to a 2 bedroom sweet as I was traveling with family.

Been at the Hilton in Sharjah and been upgraded to a suite more times than I can count, and have been given very very early checkin.

The Double Tree in Dar es Salaam, could not upgrade me to my usual room one time, but gave US a night entry to a very popular club.

Was at the Conrad in Dubai and offered entry in to a special area. We went and found it boring and very expensive, so left.

Benefits are just that, a perk. But sometimes they are not worth the hassle.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:07 am

They don't really care

Its not surprising as I don't think the chains really care about there frequent stayers.

I just booked in at what was the Intercontinental ay O'Hare made my reservation and was confirmed together with the points which would be awarded for the stay.

The day before arrival they informed me the hotel was now rebranded as as Lowes and I could rebook somewhere else or forget my points for the stay.

Why had it took them until the day before my arrival to inform me I don't know (as Im sure a rebranding would be known well in advance) but what was really aggravating was that their "apology" letter to my enquiry on this issue showed they could't careless about me.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, MA

And obviously they have no idea what to do with Doubletree; the Doubletree brand is effectively the discard pile for random properties, from airport motels to swank resorts, they don't know how to categorize -- taken together the Doubletree lineup has no common attributes except cookies.
LOL

The island of misfit toys.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hehe, this one made me laugh out loud because it is so true. And to add to that - don't forget about acquisitions. When Hilton acquires a legacy hotel that they have no idea what to do with, the first thing they do is slap "Doubletree" on it and fire up the cookie ovens.
LOL - Fire up the cookie ovens
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christfield
Its not surprising as I don't think the chains really care about there frequent stayers.

I just booked in at what was the Intercontinental ay O'Hare made my reservation and was confirmed together with the points which would be awarded for the stay.

The day before arrival they informed me the hotel was now rebranded as as Lowes and I could rebook somewhere else or forget my points for the stay.

Why had it took them until the day before my arrival to inform me I don't know (as Im sure a rebranding would be known well in advance) but what was really aggravating was that their "apology" letter to my enquiry on this issue showed they could't careless about me.

Well that would explain how all of a sudden I saw Loews as an O'Hare hotel option a few days ago.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
Chuckled on the "fire up the cookie ovens" part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.