Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How many Hilton Honors points do you have and how you plan to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many Hilton Honors points do you have and how you plan to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:31 am

"5 nights at Venice can be an overkill."

I have to say I agree. Spent 3 nights at the Molino (nice hotel), and that was about enough. If Rome, however, the longer the better.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
5 nights at Venice can be an overkill.
In the right part of Venice (very near St Mark's Square), I didn't find 4 nights to be overkill at all in September 2011. Of course, in my case, 4 nights meant only a ibit over 3 days, since I came in late afternoon and left mid-morning. One day was largely for a side trip to Burano, so that made it only 2 full days in Venice. And that was just enough for me to go exploring and photographing lots of different places (some busy, some very empty). Each canal looks different to me. And it didn't leave me enough time to see any of the museums, so someday I might go back for those.

But of course, that's just me, and that was my first trip there. As you said, it's quite different depending on whether it's your first trip or a repeat trip.

However, the Hilton doesn't seem like it's walking distance to it all, so it sounds like involves taking water taxis / water buses all the time, and that could change the mood of being there so long. If I hadn't been able to walk to different corners of Vencie from my fairly central location, I also might have soured more on being there so long. So I'm glad I didn't stay at that Hilton. (I have points in lots of different programs, and I'll choose the one that seems right to use in a given location, rather than having to use points from a particular program no matter where it is I'm going.)

Having said all that, though: If your hotel is close enough to the train, then if/once you get tired of seeing Venice, you can use it for a start point for mainland side trips, just as you could if you were staying a little further inland. Is this Hilton close to the train?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Down to 70K right now but that will rise very quickly in the next 3 weeks of heavy Hilton stays. Just blew 70K for one night at the Hilton Paddington. While that might not seem to be the best use of points I can't spend 5 nights in one place to take advantage of those deals and London hotel prices are so ridiculously expensive I find that it works for me rather than spending in the region of $450CAD a night for rather mediocre lodgings.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Pushing 2 Million. Using them for my 25th Annivsary European Trip in 2015.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
At 1.6 million and will burn about 800K in the maldives later this year. Will burn another 400K in Bali in early spring
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
I never let my HHonors balance get above 200k personally.

Earn and burn. It helps that we like short weekend breaks rather than week or two resort style use of the points.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In the right part of Venice (very near St Mark's Square), I didn't find 4 nights to be overkill at all in September 2011. Of course, in my case, 4 nights meant only a ibit over 3 days, since I came in late afternoon and left mid-morning. One day was largely for a side trip to Burano, so that made it only 2 full days in Venice. And that was just enough for me to go exploring and photographing lots of different places (some busy, some very empty). Each canal looks different to me. And it didn't leave me enough time to see any of the museums, so someday I might go back for those.

But of course, that's just me, and that was my first trip there. As you said, it's quite different depending on whether it's your first trip or a repeat trip.

However, the Hilton doesn't seem like it's walking distance to it all, so it sounds like involves taking water taxis / water buses all the time, and that could change the mood of being there so long. If I hadn't been able to walk to different corners of Vencie from my fairly central location, I also might have soured more on being there so long. So I'm glad I didn't stay at that Hilton. (I have points in lots of different programs, and I'll choose the one that seems right to use in a given location, rather than having to use points from a particular program no matter where it is I'm going.)

Having said all that, though: If your hotel is close enough to the train, then if/once you get tired of seeing Venice, you can use it for a start point for mainland side trips, just as you could if you were staying a little further inland. Is this Hilton close to the train?
Thanks for the suggestions, the Hilton is on Guidica across the Grand Canal from Venice which I see as both a good thing and bad thing. I like the idea of having a retreat out of the crowds. I picked five days since I get the fifth night free anyway on the reward stay and of course the distance we are travelling. Managed to get a low award business flight direct from PHL direct to VCE which fit in perfectly. We may consider a day trip but our vacation style is pretty laid back so we have no problem just relaxing at the hotel in between excursions.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I used about 1 Million in Europe, so the next 1 Million will probably go to Australia.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:01 am

Until last week I had 240,116 - used 240,000 to book Moorea!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Most of my points - those earned during work travel - go to my employers for future work travel. I've got about 2.5 million of my own. No time off to use them these days. Someday.
lol what?????
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL GE
400k try to stay around 250k but they add up fast.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
3.5 million points.

On the radar screen are Conrad Maldives and Koh Samui.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
5 trillion--hoping for a visit to the first Hilton on Mars.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold.
425,000, + 195,000 AMEX Points. Burning them all on a trip to Italy with wife in the spring. Hoping to do 5 nights at Rome Cavalieri Waldorf and 3 nights at the Hilton Molino Stuckey in Venice. Also using 280,000 United miles for business/first seats both way.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: Delta Plt, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plt, AA
Only about 26,000 left now. Recently booked 3 nights in a 2,000 sq ft suite on the Big Island of Hawaii for next April. One of the sweet spots in the program at about 80,000 per night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.