Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park {PRT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
GUIDE to the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park

Rua Engeneiro Vieira da Silva 2, Lisbon, 1050-105, Portugal
TEL: +351-21-0410600; FAX: +351-21-3579244
Email [email protected]
Website https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/portugal/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-lisbon-fontana-park-LISFPDI/index.html
Location: Saldanha residential neighborhood, two blocks south Praça Duque de Saldanha

Check-in: 2:00 pm, Check-out: 12:00 pm
Currency: Euro (€)
Parking: Self parking: 15.00 €
Service animals allowed: Yes
Pets allowed: No
Non-Smoking (Smoking area is available in the patio, outside sheltered pub lounge
Avoid rooms x53 in front of lifts
Streetside rooms noisy

F&B: Saldanha Mar, for Portuguese and Mediterranean dishes
Fontana Bar & Lounge, snacks and drinks, dedicated reading space
Link to page with hours, links to menus
When dining at the hotel children under 5 years old eat free when staying at the hotel, and children aged between 6-12 receive a 50% discount. Children over 12 years pay full price.

Conveniences:
Lounge: No
Business Center: Yes
Power in room: 220 VAC Euro, UK (no multivolt outlet in bathroom, no USB power outlets)
Lighting in room: adequate
Heat & air: Central, thermostat nearly useless
Fitness Center: Yes, 24 hr TechnoGym
Pool: No
Market across street
Neighborhood restaurants, banks

LIS Airport distance from Hotel: 5.3 km.
Drive Time: 12 min in minimal traffic
Taxi: 12 € (bag and night surcharges)
Metro: 2.00 € (red line, 2 long blocks to Saldanha station)
Bus: 3.50 €
30 minutes walk to Rossio Square downtown
See post #64 for maps, below for links
Best bet for breakfast, lunch, pastries is Pastelaria Versailles, ten minutes walk, opulent interiors and excellent baked goods etc. since 1922.
Good informal family restaurant nearby, Mãe (Mom’s), ten minutes walking at 92B Rua D. Estefania
Best museum nearby, 20 minutes walk, the Callouste Gulbenkian Museum. Opulent gardens, world class art collections.

Link to Lisboa Metro home page, map and schedule links (English version)
Link to Lisbon Metro Guide
Link to Carris Lisbon bus system home page (English version)
Link to Hop-on Hop-off Lisbon home page

Link to Lonely Planet - Lisbon Pages
Link to Trip Advisor Lisbon pages
Link to The Fork / La Fourchette pages for dining and booking dining (App is very handy)
Print Wikipost

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park {PRT}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Just finished a stay. I had booked a room with outdoor terrace/balcony, and that is what we received.

Room had two water bottles with a label indicating that they were complimentary. We used them and they were replaced every day. Later in the week we noticed that the label had been switched to one with a price tag (not sure, €3.50). Not sure if that was a mistake or if only the first two bottles are meant to be free. In any case were weren’t charged for water.

There was no letter explaining elite benefits (which for us was essentially water bottles and breakfast).

Breakfast buffet was reasonable (though at times a bit crowded… annoying when people bring their luggage into the restaurant with already narrow paths between tables) . Scrambled eggs aren’t great, but omelet or other egg dish can be ordered a la carte. Since they are very busy, it can take a while to get the made to order eggs. Staff in restaurant is very friendly.

Room is fairly comfortable, and being able to sit on the terrace after a long day of exploring to enjoy a wine or snack is nice (and why I booked that room category).

The shower/bath configuration of those 7th floor rooms is bizarre: inconvenient, uncomfortable and somewhat dangerous. The overhead shower was almost touching my head (6 ft), the bathtub was somewhat slippery with no mat or grippy coating. The only handle is place such that you can’t use it to get out of the shower safely. And of course the placement, more or less free standing in the room, makes the room unsuitable unless you are a single traveler or a (romantic) couple.

Fire alarm went off twice in five days. First time in the afternoon, and we trekked down the stairs for the 7th floor with other guests. The second time in the 8am range when I was just about to turn on the shower. Fortunately it stopped after about 10 seconds and we decided to carry on showering. Later an apology letter was placed in the elevators and in each room.

Much has been written already about the location. We actually liked it. Convenient to the metro, but not in a super touristy area. Self service laundry and small super market are just a block away. We took a cab from the airport as we arrived late at night, and decided to splurge on an Uber for the return trip (around €9 for XL) to avoid having to drag our rollaboards over the cobblestone sidewalks to the metro.
Sisosig and Delectatio like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Day use rate includes Diamond breakfast?

I am staying at the Lisbon Doubletree in April on a day rate, checking in at 9 am and leaving late afternoon.

Does anyone here knows whether (Diamond) breakfast is included when on a day use rate?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by janwillem
I am staying at the Lisbon Doubletree in April on a day rate, checking in at 9 am and leaving late afternoon.

Does anyone here knows whether (Diamond) breakfast is included when on a day use rate?
Yes it does and I do this often, generally day stay rates are 9-5pm , I’ve done this many times, arrived at 8am had breakfast ( just explain to the breakfast desk you are a diamond member on a day stay so you won’t be on the list ) and then checked in at 9am.

I’m in the doubletree Milton Keynes this coming Monday and this is what I will do,
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Yes it does and I do this often, generally day stay rates are 9-5pm , I’ve done this many times, arrived at 8am had breakfast ( just explain to the breakfast desk you are a diamond member on a day stay so you won’t be on the list ) and then checked in at 9am.

I’m in the doubletree Milton Keynes this coming Monday and this is what I will do,
Excellent, thank you for your reply.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Diamond
I may be in Lisbon in a few months, but have never been before. I'd be going with my wife for about 4 nights and will be doing all the normal tourist things. We don't need to be in the heart of everything, but we want to avoid being an an area too quiet, not safe, or somewhere that needs a 15 min Uber ride to do anything.

This property is running about 70 EUR more per night than the Curio Emerald House. Is the location here enough to justify the additional cost? Or is the Emerald House location "good enough"?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueapple
I may be in Lisbon in a few months, but have never been before. I'd be going with my wife for about 4 nights and will be doing all the normal tourist things. We don't need to be in the heart of everything, but we want to avoid being an an area too quiet, not safe, or somewhere that needs a 15 min Uber ride to do anything.

This property is running about 70 EUR more per night than the Curio Emerald House. Is the location here enough to justify the additional cost? Or is the Emerald House location "good enough"?
I would choose the Emerald House. From there it`s 30 minutes by feet to the Rossio Square - the center of Lisboa. From the Doubletree it`s also 30 minutes.
The Emerald House is much better, is newer and has much more quality then the Doubletree. Also the district is quite nice with restaurants and bars 10-15 minutes by feet away.
And as an alternative: Taxis are cheap in Lisboa.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Blueapple

I really like Saldanha area where DoubleTree is located, it's lively, but away from the overtourism, ​​​​​while still being close to the city centre (either on foot or by bus or by metro). I particularly enjoyed finishing my day with a drink at the awesome Dejavu kiosk at Saldanha square before going to bed.

That being said, I have switched to another hotel in Lisbon because the Doubletree is crap. It used to be a great hotel but it's age is starting to show and they don't seem to be willing to invest into renovations.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flysmart2
I would choose the Emerald House. From there it`s 30 minutes by feet to the Rossio Square - the center of Lisboa. From the Doubletree it`s also 30 minutes.
The Emerald House is much better, is newer and has much more quality then the Doubletree. Also the district is quite nice with restaurants and bars 10-15 minutes by feet away.
And as an alternative: Taxis are cheap in Lisboa.
Thanks for the details, it's good to know on the tradeoff of location vs. general hotel quality. Seems that Emerald House is the way to go between them.

Originally Posted by the810
I really like Saldanha area where DoubleTree is located, it's lively, but away from the overtourism, ​​​​​while still being close to the city centre (either on foot or by bus or by metro). I particularly enjoyed finishing my day with a drink at the awesome Dejavu kiosk at Saldanha square before going to bed.

That being said, I have switched to another hotel in Lisbon because the Doubletree is crap. It used to be a great hotel but it's age is starting to show and they don't seem to be willing to invest into renovations.
Yeah, it sadly seems to be that way for too many Doubletrees in their system. The reviews online for this property also mirror what you say here.

In fact, as much as I try to be Hilton loyal the prices are just really high for my dates (280 EUR/night at the Emerald House and around 350/night for Doubletree). The Intercontinental and Sofitel are around the same price as Emerald House, with lots of quality boutiques even cheaper.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 3:22 pm

Looking at dates for next summer and the calendar says every night from Memorial Day through September is sold out? Am I too early?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Looking at dates for next summer and the calendar says every night from Memorial Day through September is sold out? Am I too early?
Yes.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 5:29 am
whl

Just stayed at this DoubleTree Lisbon. It is crap and I will not return. I am a Diamond Member and used points for my 3-nights stay. No upgrades and I was assigned to most basic King Guest Room.

What I dislike:
  • Their interior design and furnishing is bizzare. Black walls, black doors and green carpet.
  • Bizzare and weird bathroom set-up. Mirror partition between the long bath area and room. From the bathroom, you can see the entire room but from the room, you can only see half the bathroom. Hard to describe this weird design. You have stay in the room to experience it.
  • The room and furniture are run down.
  • No toiletries or slippers in room. You need to ask or request from reception.
  • Did not offer me their signature cookies when I checked in. Had to ask for it.
  • Limited breakfast choices
  • Overall the property is pretty run down.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Any experience with this property in terms of Diamond recognition? I'm planning on staying in Saldanha in January. I switched to another hotel for my recent stays, but since I've earned the status in the meantime, I'm wondering whether it may be worth it to go back despite the overall state of the property if there's a chance for a nice upgrade etc.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by the810
Any experience with this property in terms of Diamond recognition? I'm planning on staying in Saldanha in January. I switched to another hotel for my recent stays, but since I've earned the status in the meantime, I'm wondering whether it may be worth it to go back despite the overall state of the property if there's a chance for a nice upgrade etc.
My Diamond recognition consisted of free parking (and breakfast of course). No upgrade, drink vouchers or anything else. See post above, it's a strange hotel and the walls between rooms are paper thin.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by sbams
My Diamond recognition consisted of free parking (and breakfast of course). No upgrade, drink vouchers or anything else. See post above, it's a strange hotel and the walls between rooms are paper thin.
Thanks. I have stayed there multiple times so I'm aware of its shortcomings but it was before I had any status with Hilton (or maybe I had silver, I'm not sure). If there was a chance for a good upgrade, I'd give it a try again as I really like the location, but it seems I'll just choose one of the alternatives instead. Thanks again!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:56 am

So I ended up booking the hotel again after all (the alternative in the location was either Ibis with reports of bed bugs in recent reviews, or Holiday Inn Express...).

It seems they are doing some renovations. Since they have been supposedly going for 7 weeks and since public areas still look the same as always, I cautiously hope that they may be remodeling the rooms? Also, they put me on the third floor as a diamond in low season (normally I was put on higher floors even back when I stayed as a blue or silver member) which could perhaps also suggest they are doing something with rooms. Let's hope for the best. I like the hotel in general but it's getting really worn out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.