Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Five occupants in room: one an infant. Do they care?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

So we're looking at some family vacation next year and will have three little ones next summer. The youngest will be ~5 months. When I look at Hilton properties, it barks at me about some properties not allowing five guests per room. Do they really care, particularly if the fifth is an infant?

Thanks,

-p
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Not sure why they even allow 3 people in one room, let alone 5.. Most hotels have a strict policy of 2 guests per room. If everyone is allowed to bring 5-10 people into a hotel room, the hotel revenue would be affected significantly, never mind the increased likelihood of disturbing other guests.

I am positive that the luxury Hilton hotels will not allow this.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Do this: i have 3 kids myself, and all of our vacations over the years (excpet Disney) have been on Hilton properties. Book 1 room for 2 adults and 2 children and let it go at that. Booking on more than 2+2 guests will raise red flags due to fire regulations, etc.

When our youngest was < 2, we put her in the bed with us, which was of no business to the hotel. We continued this for years, and as they've gotten older (10, 9, and 7), we now book 2-room suites and put one in the sleeper sofa. In time, we may have to go to ajoining rooms, but for now this works.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
Not sure why they even allow 3 people in one room, let alone 5.. Most hotels have a strict policy of 2 guests per room.
Some hotels have a strict policy. Italian fire regulations get cited here from time to time on award redemptions. But I believe that arguing most hotels have a strict 2-guest per room limit overstates things significantly across the Hilton brands.

Directly to the OP's question: It's property and room-type specific, and dependent on guest age, but yes, they may care. It also can make a difference if the booking is paid or award.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:41 am

Most US hotels won't care. My brother has 3 kids and they always stayed in one room. Hotels outside of US are much more strict on this, and they will either insist on 2 rooms and charge you per extra person after 2.

That's why I like Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites since kids do not mind sleeping on sofa bed and when 4 or 5 of you showing up at the buffet breakfast, no one will say a thing and no breakfast coupons needed.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Most hotels have a strict policy of 2 guests per room.
Quite an exaggeration. Some, perhaps but not most especially in the US.

Book 2 AD 2 CH. A 5-month old will not matter. Have a good trip.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:18 am

Some tips on looking for room for 2 adults and kids:

1) Like I said above, go for hotels with suite as standard room with sofa bed. When the kids wake up at 5am, they still have their own room to play and a door between you and them!

2) Many hotels have a few cribs available for guests with infant. You just have to call housekeeping to ask for one.

3) Most hotels would also let you add a bed in the room, but they will probably charge you for it though.

4) Some hotels, like Embassy Suites, would let all the guests eat free breakfast. Some others will have kids eat free.

5) When you search on Hilton site, don't put in 2 adults and X children for the search. Many hotels won't show up if you put in more than 2 adults per room. It is possible that the hotel didn't show up for 2+2 because it only has King bed room available, but it didn't take into the fact that it also has sofa bed.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies. We have a particular property in mind for an award booking. Not worried about breakfast coupons as a 5mo will not really affect that. Will book 2A/2C and roll with it.

Cheers!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Not sure why they even allow 3 people in one room, let alone 5.. Most hotels have a strict policy of 2 guests per room. If everyone is allowed to bring 5-10 people into a hotel room, the hotel revenue would be affected significantly, never mind the increased likelihood of disturbing other guests.

I am positive that the luxury Hilton hotels will not allow this.
This just isn't true. A lot of Hilton hotels in the US (including some W=A) will even let you book 4 adults. I've done it multiple times. Often times there are some additional charges/head over two, but they most certainly will let you book it.

I agree with some of the other advice, just book a 2+2, the hotel is not going to care about an infant.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Need
Most US hotels won't care. My brother has 3 kids and they always stayed in one room. Hotels outside of US are much more strict on this, and they will either insist on 2 rooms and charge you per extra person after 2.
^ In the US usually isn't a big deal. Outside the US, it can be a very big deal, even with an infant.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Just be aware that award stays are technically for double occupancy, and the property has the right to charge extra for more people.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
5 people in a room is definitionally not a "vacation"!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
^ In the US usually isn't a big deal. Outside the US, it can be a very big deal, even with an infant.
That's what I have heard, but so far I have not been charged yet. In Conrad HK, they actually gave me extra goodies because my son is in the room. And for breakfast there, 3 for breakfast? 4 for breakfast? Not a problem. My room was only registered with 2 people. They never asked why I have 3 for breakfast. And one time I had a friend over for breakfast. I have to actually asked them to put him on a bill otherwise they would have just let him eat free.

The same with Hilton in Russia, Mexico, Italy, and Austria. I only put down 2 adults, and so far no one asked about my kid. But he is only 7 so maybe he is not that noticeable yet! I usually bring him along to meet the front desk clerk at check in and he usually get free cookies and stuff toy and such.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
5 people in a room is definitionally not a "vacation"!
The 5 people are parents and their 3 young kids. Now if there were 5 adults in a room.. that's NOT a vacation... it is a PARTY! Seriously, my wife had been to Vegas a few times with 4 girls in the room. I was told they had a very good time with their girls weekends out. I never asked what they did because what happened in Vegas stays in Vegas.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Be very careful with the SIZE of the room. Some hotel rooms, booked with 2 queen beds, will not accommodate a crib or rollaway. It happens more often in the upper level hotels/resorts where they will connect a standard queen or king room to a suite to make a 2 bedroom suite. A huge example of this is the Waldorf Astoria Park City. You barely have enough room to walk in their queen rooms, let alone add in a rollaway or crib. They won't do it for you, no matter how much you ask...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.