Hacking Hampton Breakfasts

Old Aug 3, 13, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Checked out yesterday. My final hack from this trip:

Waffle mix, almonds (from the oatmeal area), blackberry jam and brown sugar. I think I had too many extras (over half the cup) and not enough waffle mix. My waffle imploded when I took it out of the waffle maker. It still tasted awesome, though.
Old Aug 4, 13, 1:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
I actually hate the breakfast served at Hilton Garden Inn. It's not as bad as Hampton and Homewood but HGI still sucks.
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Can you tell us why you think it sucks?

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne View Post
I actually hate the breakfast served at Hilton Garden Inn. It's not as bad as Hampton and Homewood but HGI still sucks.
Old Aug 4, 13, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orr333 View Post
Always just the garbage powdered eggs
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Anyway, back to Hampton breakfasts - a few put out some real food, like fruits and oatmeal, but others put out the UFO (unidentified frying objects) plastic eggs and weird objects that are best left undescribed.
The Hamptons I stayed at in recent years all had hardboiled (and thus real!) eggs, either in a mini-fridge or a little bin. Is that not part of the standard now?

Hardboiled eggs are the only kind of eggs I trust to actually be eggs at lots of not-so-fancy hotel brands, including but not limited to Hampton.
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:13 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
The Hamptons I stay at have bananas and other fruit, Earl Grey Tea, and decent toast. Who wants anything else?

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
For those responsible for HHonors or the Hampton brand, my other primary complaint is the stingy double-dip with partners.
What stingy double-dip? I get HH points and UA MP miles at Hamptons, as at all other Hilton family hotels. Most other hotel chains don't do that.
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:17 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
...Who wants anything else? ....
:raiseshand:
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
What stingy double-dip? I get HH points and UA MP miles at Hamptons, as at all other Hilton family hotels.
I'm referring to 100 partner miles at Hampton/Homewood/Home2 vs. 500 at other Hilton brands.
Old Aug 4, 13, 6:17 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I refuse to eat anywhere where there's no real cooking going on. At HI, the just rewarm packaged food. Disgusting. Like others, I find somewhere else to eat.
Old Aug 5, 13, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
When Hamptoning, I stick to strict diet of cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, and a deep resentment that I am somewhere where there isn't a decent breakfast available.
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:08 am

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
Checked out yesterday. My final hack from this trip:

Waffle mix, almonds (from the oatmeal area), blackberry jam and brown sugar. I think I had too many extras (over half the cup) and not enough waffle mix. My waffle imploded when I took it out of the waffle maker. It still tasted awesome, though.
That is called mixing ingredients not hacking LOL

Don't be weird...
Old Aug 5, 13, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pragakhan View Post
That is called mixing ingredients not hacking LOL

Don't be weird...
In addition to the traditional definitions of the word, it can describe making creative use of food items, different than what was originally intended. If you search the interwebz, you'll find hacks for McDonalds menus, In-N-Out, Starbucks, etc.

Proud to be a bit weird.

And very glad that I don't have to spend many nights at Hampton Inns!
Old Aug 5, 13, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The Hamptons I stayed at in recent years all had hardboiled (and thus real!) eggs, either in a mini-fridge or a little bin. Is that not part of the standard now?

Hardboiled eggs are the only kind of eggs I trust to actually be eggs at lots of not-so-fancy hotel brands, including but not limited to Hampton.
YES!

I don’t mind the HI breakfasts but then again, I am not looking for a proper hot eggs and meat type fare. I haven’t been to a US HI that hasn’t had cold hardboiled eggs. You can't make those from a powder! My standard is 2 hardboiled eggs, a piece of whole wheat toast, and a banana. My standard breakfast has whole grains, protein and produce…for relatively few calories, I’m full until lunch. If "healthy" to you is low carb, eat hardboiled eggs. If not, there is cold cereal, hot cereal, fruit...there are more unhealthy options than healthy but it isn't impossible to find something decent to eat without resorting to those vaguely food-like bagel topper things.

Their hot egg disc concoctions are pretty gross which is why I target the real food, not the premade stuff. I do wish they would serve yogurt without fake sweeteners and have natural peanut butter available, not just the peanut flavored hydrogenated oil.
Old Aug 5, 13, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
Talk about your sugar rush.

David
Old Aug 5, 13, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I'm referring to 100 partner miles at Hampton/Homewood/Home2 vs. 500 at other Hilton brands.
If you are staying for > $100 or multiple nights, you have to be on top of things to change your earning style to be variable miles so you earn as much as possible. Same goes for a one-nighter at a Hilton < $500 - I adjust to fixed miles to get the max.

They made the game, you have to learn how to play it.
Old Aug 5, 13, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
[QUOTE=JDiver;21203096]Sigh, here we go again. The "knock of sleep number dial" is not a knock off, nor is it at all the same as, the Sleep Number bed. The dial on the HGI bed changes firmness and adjusts flow between a number of air chambers by controlling interchamber baffles; a firm setting allows very little air exchange, less firm allows easy air movement". No pumps, no additional or less air, merely firmness adjustments by restricting existing air movement". You have to set the dial and let the air circulate a bit before you plump yourself down on the bed:

. .
QUOTE]

Sigh right back at you. It seems you are offended that someone might think HGI beds are junk. As with anything, YMMV. I have heard that they are changing out these beds so I might not be the only cat in town that thinks they are bad.

I HAVE tried adjusting prior to laying down and I would still have slept better while being waterboarded yet at a Hampton, Hilton, Doubletree or Embassy, I sleep like a rock.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: