Hacking Hampton Breakfasts

Old Aug 5, 13, 3:02 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CHA/TYS
Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Posts: 2,845
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
I've turned into a HGI snob. I hate staying at Hampton Inns and even prefer HGI over Embassy Suites because of the great free breakfast for elites (without a mob), newer buildings, and sleep number beds. But eventually you end up places where a Hampton is your only choice.

This week, I'm in one of those places. I've been dreading it for weeks. Not only is it a Hampton, it's a plain Hampton Inn (no & Suites). But I was pleasantly surprised with a newly refurbished lobby and a nicely furnished room with more dressers than I've ever seen in any hotel room, an oversized mini-fridge, and a bit more space than most. But it was still a Hampton Breakfast. Ugh.

This morning, I got creative with some of the breakfast items, and it turned a mediocre breakfast into an acceptable one. I was wondering if anyone else had come up with some creative ways to make Hampton Breakfasts better?

Before I made my waffle this morning, I put almonds and brown sugar in with the mix and stirred it up. My only concern was that it might stick, but it didn't. It came out perfect, and tasted better than a normal waffle.

This morning was "cheese omelets" (an egg puck with cheese), pork sausage patties, and biscuits and gravy. I took a couple biscuits, a couple sausage patties, and cut a cheese omelet in half and made a couple sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. They were much better than any of the ingredients individually.

Another favorite is to take an English muffin, toast it, and put butter, honey and peanut butter on it.

So what's your favorite Hampton Breakfast hack?
you a rookie with biscuit-constructing, brah.
mrredskin is offline  
Old Aug 5, 13, 3:45 pm
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,935
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
I've turned into a HGI snob. I hate staying at Hampton Inns and even prefer HGI over Embassy Suites because of the great free breakfast for elites (without a mob), newer buildings, and sleep number beds. But eventually you end up places where a Hampton is your only choice.

This week, I'm in one of those places. I've been dreading it for weeks. Not only is it a Hampton, it's a plain Hampton Inn (no & Suites). But I was pleasantly surprised with a newly refurbished lobby and a nicely furnished room with more dressers than I've ever seen in any hotel room, an oversized mini-fridge, and a bit more space than most. But it was still a Hampton Breakfast. Ugh.

This morning, I got creative with some of the breakfast items, and it turned a mediocre breakfast into an acceptable one. I was wondering if anyone else had come up with some creative ways to make Hampton Breakfasts better?

Before I made my waffle this morning, I put almonds and brown sugar in with the mix and stirred it up. My only concern was that it might stick, but it didn't. It came out perfect, and tasted better than a normal waffle.

This morning was "cheese omelets" (an egg puck with cheese), pork sausage patties, and biscuits and gravy. I took a couple biscuits, a couple sausage patties, and cut a cheese omelet in half and made a couple sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. They were much better than any of the ingredients individually.

Another favorite is to take an English muffin, toast it, and put butter, honey and peanut butter on it.

So what's your favorite Hampton Breakfast hack?
You are reminding me of a disgusting breakfast I had on AA. Of course, I didn't end up eating it.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Aug 5, 13, 5:08 pm
  #33  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Can you tell us why you think it sucks?
They start out on the wrong foot by having cut way too far back on staff. The service has sucked every time I've stayed at an HGI.

The buffet portion of the breakfast is the same processed garbage at Hampton or Homewood.

I like real food... Things that are freshly prepared with care using quality ingredients. This could be anywhere from a truck stop to the Peninsula.
TransWorldOne is offline  
Old Aug 5, 13, 8:59 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mco
Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You are reminding me of a disgusting breakfast I had on AA. Of course, I didn't end up eating it.
What the.......l
Jwebber57 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:52 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,689
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne View Post
They start out on the wrong foot by having cut way too far back on staff. The service has sucked every time I've stayed at an HGI.

The buffet portion of the breakfast is the same processed garbage at Hampton or Homewood.

I like real food... Things that are freshly prepared with care using quality ingredients. This could be anywhere from a truck stop to the Peninsula.
What's the problem about buffet service at HGI ? Buffet means self service, other than they pour the cup of coffee/OJ/tea, it is pretty much self serve til the bill comes.

So what do you suggest they should serve in the buffet portion then if you don't like bacon and sausages as being "processed garbage" ? Those in HGI are the same quality as in the buffet in Hilton or DT and even Conrad ! Those in HI and HS are different stuff !

And eggs are not real food ? You can't order any cook-to-order eggs at HGI ?
ORDnHKG is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:46 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Represa CA
Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Posts: 2,542
Some understand, some do not. Quality is not a word used to describe anything that is put out in the morning by HI, HS, HGI. I used to eat some of this crap....no more.

I will grab a breakfast bag or two for the bottled water and wrapped Spunkmeyer muffin. Which brings me to my biggest laugh. The HI that will not give me a bottle of water at night, but will let me take 5 bottles in the morning. And any Hampton that puts Crystal Geyser water in the bag is a good HI (to me).
hedoman is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 3:30 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham, NC USA
Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 423
I just spent five nights a the Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Midtown. In addition to the cold buffet they had a hot buffet that was staffed by a cook and made to order eggs in addition to the scrambled eggs on the buffet. I had egg white every morning. I use DoubleTree for their breakfast (I will actually have people meet me in the restaurant for breakfast). The DT that I stay at frequently makes a great egg white omelet. I only use Hampton Inn if there are no better Hilton properties convenient to my work needs.
DevilDawg1960 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 4:42 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,395
Originally Posted by Mazey View Post
YES!

I donít mind the HI breakfasts but then again, I am not looking for a proper hot eggs and meat type fare. I havenít been to a US HI that hasnít had cold hardboiled eggs. You can't make those from a powder! My standard is 2 hardboiled eggs, a piece of whole wheat toast, and a banana. My standard breakfast has whole grains, protein and produceÖfor relatively few calories, Iím full until lunch. If "healthy" to you is low carb, eat hardboiled eggs. If not, there is cold cereal, hot cereal, fruit...there are more unhealthy options than healthy but it isn't impossible to find something decent to eat without resorting to those vaguely food-like bagel topper things.

Their hot egg disc concoctions are pretty gross which is why I target the real food, not the premade stuff. I do wish they would serve yogurt without fake sweeteners and have natural peanut butter available, not just the peanut flavored hydrogenated oil.
My other standard Hampton breakfast is to bring my own healthy and not oversugared cereal (since it has no liquid, it can even be taken on the plane, if you have room in your carryon, but it's especially easy on driving trips) and use Hampton's milk (they even have skim milk, my preferred type).

I hate the "name brand" super-sugared cereals that Hampton has, but I can (and do) work around that.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:00 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 5,524
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
So what's your favorite Hampton Breakfast hack?
Screw the free breakfast and drive/walk to the diner/Waffle House down the street.
Herb687 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:14 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 5,524
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
And eggs are not real food ? You can't order any cook-to-order eggs at HGI ?
Most of the HGIs I have stayed at use some sort of liquified egg product for the made-to-order omelettes. Omelettes made from this processed liquid egg product in a carton never taste the same.
Herb687 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:49 pm
  #41  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,556
THE cure for Hampton Breakfasts....


underpressure is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:59 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,583
doubletree breakfasts are generally awesome.
I try to eat very healthy, so the hardboiled eggs are great, I eat the whites with an english muffin.
unfortunately, they are the hard boiled eggs that come in a big package and they can be a bit nasty..
nlkm9 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:50 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,829
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You are reminding me of a disgusting breakfast I had on AA. Of course, I didn't end up eating it.

Ha! This is especially amusing to me since I have been looking at potential American IAD-LAX first class flights for a fall trip and the morning return I have taken in the past has changed and now the option in that time frame offers breakfast instead of lunch. Since I am actually paying for this first class ticket my immediate thought is "I really don't like what the Airlines consider breakfast and if I leave on the next departing flight I get dinner - same price, maybe I can handle coming into Dulles later in the evening"

Back on topic - This thread makes me feel a lot better about missing breakfast my one Hampton visit so far in 2013. Came down at 10:10 AM on a Sunday morning and was told breakfast ended at 10 AM. Sounds in retrospect like the Sheetz Mocha and chocolate glazed donut next door was probably better
Miesque is online now  
Old Aug 7, 13, 8:02 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 638
deleted

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 13 at 11:27 am Reason: policy
Hhonor Gguard is offline  
Old Aug 7, 13, 11:41 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boxter, MD
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters View Post
I suppose I just don't understand the mindset of eating a free breakfast just because it's free.

Like my old boss used to say whenever we were on the road, "My favorite thing to eat is free food".
frank3355 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: