Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exec lounge changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I can't say that I'm surprised by the downgrading of the EL.

In the past 3 yrs, I've seen the ELs steadily becoming SRO and a growing number of ppl with really rude, greedy, wasteful, entitled behavior. Many ppl are using the lounges as dinner substitutes, piling their 2 plates (sometimes 3 if they can manage the balance) full of food, returning to grab a bottle (yes, bottle) of wine, spirits, etc. to bring to their table. The food offerings are often stripped almost as soon as they are brought out. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing in line and watch the ppl (usually just 2-3 ppl) directly in front of me take the ENTIRE contents of a plate or heated pan. I've seen ppl carry out full bottles of wines from the EL "hidden" under a coat or other item. I've seen ppl arguing (sometimes successfully) to bring in their entire families and friends instead of the 1 + 1 guest. I've seen the lounge attendants try to curb these rude activities only to be told off!

I've even stopped going to the EL in several hotels because of this. It's become an unpleasant environment.

I can't even fathom why this behavior is growing!! But it seems to correlate to when the rosters of Diamonds and Golds exploded with the advent of the CC easy elites.

A few hotels and their staff complaining about this frequent bad behavior of a growing number of guests and it won't take corporate long to figure out they are losing a lot of $$ due to ppl abusing the EL. Since they can't control the bad behavior, they respond by getting rid of the things that are abused the most (and thus saving on the bottom line overall). I suspect a lot of hotels that do not see a lot of the rudeness will continue to supply the better EL fare (unless they need to cut for financial reasons).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by hugolover
Hilton Glasgow

Recent TripAdvisor review

So prices are up and service quality down? What a great way to run a business. I wish I could get away with that, charging more and providing less, what business wouldn't? But then your customers are mugs, are we all mugs? It seems so in the eyes of Hilton.
Sounds like they are following in Delta's footsteps.

Delta raised Skyclub dues by $50 and sent out emails encouraging people to renew at the old price and then two months later replaced the free alcohol with brands I wouldn't drink as a college student and started charging $7 per MEASURED shot for Bailey's which was free in the past (the only spirit Mrs. Red's cares for).

The Glasgow lounge still has to be better than a lot of US lounges. None that I have been in the past year have had free alcohol. The Palmer house and a few others allow ALL golds access and it's impossible to find a seat on weekends. The LAX lounge is only open for breakfast and starts throwing people out right at 10 a.m. and doesn't reopen until time for evening appetizers.

I wish Hilton would have minimum standards for their US lounges and restrict access to diamonds and those with room types that allow for lounge access.

If a property doesn't have a lounge they should be required to provide a FULL hot breakfast for diamonds like Hyatt does and bar drink/appetizer chits for diamonds.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by travelinfoo

In the past 3 yrs, I've seen the ELs steadily becoming SRO and a growing number of ppl with really rude, greedy, wasteful, entitled behavior. Many ppl are using the lounges as dinner substitutes, piling their 2 plates (sometimes 3 if they can manage the balance) full of food, returning to grab a bottle (yes, bottle) of wine, spirits, etc. to bring to their table. The food offerings are often stripped almost as soon as they are brought out. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing in line and watch the ppl (usually just 2-3 ppl) directly in front of me take the ENTIRE contents of a plate or heated pan. I've seen ppl carry out full bottles of wines from the EL "hidden" under a coat or other item. I've seen ppl arguing (sometimes successfully) to bring in their entire families and friends instead of the 1 + 1 guest. I've seen the lounge attendants try to curb these rude activities only to be told off!

I've even stopped going to the EL in several hotels because of this. It's become an unpleasant environment.

I can't even fathom why this behavior is growing!! But it seems to correlate to when the rosters of Diamonds and Golds exploded with the advent of the CC easy elites.

A few hotels and their staff complaining about this frequent bad behavior of a growing number of guests and it won't take corporate long to figure out they are losing a lot of $$ due to ppl abusing the EL. Since they can't control the bad behavior, they respond by getting rid of the things that are abused the most (and thus saving on the bottom line overall). I suspect a lot of hotels that do not see a lot of the rudeness will continue to supply the better EL fare (unless they need to cut for financial reasons).
Seems to be a lot worse in the US and I hope the oversea's lounge don't turn into the zoo's the US ones have.

Whilst there are still some US lounges that are strict on lounge entry and have places to sit such as the Hilton Atlanta and the Washington Hilton, many have turned into SRO only. The Palmer house in Chicago is a good example, they allow ALL golds access and as ridiculously easy as gold is to get in the US anymore you can imagine the madness at breakfast time. The LAX Hilton closes promptly at 10 and doesn't reopen until appetizer time in the evening and when you ask for a can of Diet Coke to enjoy later in the day (because the lounge will be closed) I have enountered an attitude from the attendant before.

If the US lounges aren't going to have standards and allow swarms of people in that shouldn't have access, I'd rather they just not have the lounges and give diamonds two full breakfasts everyday along with drink and appetizer chits for the restaurant/bar. I think it would cheaper for them to give diamonds a hot brekafast and a couple drink chits than to have a lounge anyway and many diamonds would prefer that benefit at US properties.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum HH Diamond

I completely agree with this. I am an easy elite myself but I take care to just take one or two pieces of food to start and then go for more later if I want it and there is no longer a panic to get it. I have noticed some families that go in, start to hover around the food area and when it comes out pile up the plates and use it as dinner. If they don't like the food there are plates and plates just let there. It's very unpleasant.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:10 pm

Homewood Suites gives out free meals and beer/wine to everyone in the evenings (mon through thurs) and charge half the price as Hilton. I really don't think this is breaking the bank of any hotel.

For all of those that complain that you are upset that others get to use the lounge too, if you don't like that others get to use the executive lounge, then don't use it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

I can certainly remember the lounge (since vanished) at the Union Square Hilton in San Francisco being packed almost every time I was there, but most of the lounges I've been to lately (Baltimore, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Woodcliff Lake NJ) have been half full at the busiest during my visits. Like many other things, lounge crowding appears to be strongly dependent on location.

Regarding comments that a breakfast voucher and drink chits would be just as good, I love the ability to grab a couple bottles of water, an apple, a cookie, or a can of Coke anytime, especially without having to take an elevator up and down to the lobby from a high floor. In addition, when I have to be to work early, a lounge breakfast is at least twice as fast as a sit-down continental in a restaurant. A couple of drink chits and breakfast coupons wouldn't make up for what I really like about the lounges.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
I can certainly remember the lounge (since vanished) at the Union Square Hilton in San Francisco being packed almost every time I was there, but most of the lounges I've been to lately (Baltimore, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Woodcliff Lake NJ) have been half full at the busiest during my visits. Like many other things, lounge crowding appears to be strongly dependent on location.

Regarding comments that a breakfast voucher and drink chits would be just as good, I love the ability to grab a couple bottles of water, an apple, a cookie, or a can of Coke anytime, especially without having to take an elevator up and down to the lobby from a high floor. In addition, when I have to be to work early, a lounge breakfast is at least twice as fast as a sit-down continental in a restaurant. A couple of drink chits and breakfast coupons wouldn't make up for what I really like about the lounges.
My issue with a lounge breakfast is not being able to find a seat. If you aren't on the same level as the EL it is a pain to take food back to your room, especially if your floor isn't on the same elevator bank and you have to switch elevators.

There is also the issue of some lounges not being open during the day such as the LAX Hilton. The LAX Hilton closes their lounge at 10 a.m. sharp and doesn't reopen until 4 or 5 p.m. They sometimes will allow ALL golds access which means it's hard to find a seat at breakfast and since there are several exec levels it's a real pain to carry food back to your room.

For properties like the Hilton Atlanta and the Washington DC, I like their lounges. They ONLY give access to people on the exec level and diamonds and the lounge is open all day (and the Hilton Atlanta's soda machines are 24/7). Since they enforce the access, there isn't an issue with finding a seat and it is nice to grab a soda or cookie during the day.

I just don't find the US lounge breakfasts substantial. I would rather have a FULL breakfast with the option of a to go breakfast if I am in a hurry.

I reaely like how the Hilton Atlanta does their breakfast. If you are gold and upgraded to the Exec level you have the lounge breakfast, if not it's a grab and go from the store. If you are diamond you get lounge access regardless and also get two vouchers every day for the full buffet breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I was the LAX Hilton this Memorial Day weekend and I remember going into the EL right after it opened for its evening portion and a picked up a few items and went back to my hotel room. About 10-15 minutes later I went back to the lounge to pick up a water and the food trays looked like a pack of wolves have gone thru them.

I also prefer having a full breakfast at the restaurant with a flexible to go option of EL breakfasts.

On a side note, over the past year I have seen some signs in Executive Lounges stating something to the effect of "Do Not Take Food Out of Lounge" and I take offense at that as someone who often travels by themselves I like to take it back to my room and not have to deal with finding a seat. I also don't like it when Executive Lounges are closed during the day and you can't go get a water - what point is there of having one.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
I was the LAX Hilton this Memorial Day weekend and I remember going into the EL right after it opened for its evening portion and a picked up a few items and went back to my hotel room. About 10-15 minutes later I went back to the lounge to pick up a water and the food trays looked like a pack of wolves have gone thru them.

I also prefer having a full breakfast at the restaurant with a flexible to go option of EL breakfasts.

On a side note, over the past year I have seen some signs in Executive Lounges stating something to the effect of "Do Not Take Food Out of Lounge" and I take offense at that as someone who often travels by themselves I like to take it back to my room and not have to deal with finding a seat. I also don't like it when Executive Lounges are closed during the day and you can't go get a water - what point is there of having one.
I think the LAX is the biggest zoo for an EL next to the Palmer House in Chicago. Like the Palmer House, the LAX Hilton gives access to ALL golds instead of just those on the exec level and seeing how Hilton basically hands out gold now it has gotten awful in the past year. They need to start limiting access to ONLY diamonds and exec level members and doing other breakfast arrangements for golds or better yet offering diamonds a full breakfast. One problem at LAX is I have seen the dragon just waive a large group of people through. Seeing crowding is such an issue there they need to start enforcing it to the guest and one person during breakfast.

I also get offended at those signs. If a property like LAX or Palmer House is going to allow people access who shouldn't have it, and I can't find a seat due to it, I AM going to take the food back to my room. The LAX attendant gave me a real attitude last time for asking for a couple diet cokes. The lounge will start throwing people out right at 10 and doesn't reopen until 4 and I asked for a couple diet cokes seeing the lounge is closed all day. She gtave them to me but wasn't happy at the request.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
I was told earlier in the year at the SF Union Square Hilton and at Checkers that effective 7/1, if a property didn't have an EL, a full breakfast was to be provided for diamonds like at Hyatt. Obviously this never happened and not sure if it will happen later in the year or if Hilton decided to screw their highest tier again.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr

I agree with the fridge for cokes and waters.....

However, beyond that, I have never really seen much food in a lounge that I would really want to take back to my room. GIve me drink vouchers, Breakfast coupons and access to a fridge with beverages and I am set

The whole lounge thing is fine until the options are reduced due to people taking advantage. If they had more hot options and did not allow access to the world, then I might have a different opinion.

Too often, I see the lounge being used as a den for families. I have even seen families bring in pizza from the outside and setup shop at the Grand Lounge at the Grand Hyatt DC (I know this is the Hilton forum, but same issues occur there) WHen the agent told them they could not bring the food in, they just moved to the elevator lobby area just outside the lounge and moved a few chairs out... They still went in and out grabbing drinks and desserts.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Too often, I see the lounge being used as a den for families. I have even seen families bring in pizza from the outside and setup shop at the Grand Lounge at the Grand Hyatt DC (I know this is the Hilton forum, but same issues occur there) WHen the agent told them they could not bring the food in, they just moved to the elevator lobby area just outside the lounge and moved a few chairs out... They still went in and out grabbing drinks and desserts.
Sounds like what I witnessed several weeks ago at the LAX hilton. Must have been a family reunion or wedding block staying there and this large group of people took up the majority of the seats. And I overheard the one lady bragging to another that the Hilton credit card was really paying off.

Usually Hyatt enforces the rules of only Diamonds and club level in the lounge and will deny a PM access or a club level upgrade. DC is one of the few places where I prefer the Hilton lounge over a Hyatt lounge. The Washington Hilton lounge only allows guests on the top floor and diamonds lounge access so it isn't that hard to find a seat and it's open all day and never an issue getting a diet coke to go
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
I think the costs of the EL for the Hotels is overestimated as it uses Infrastructure and mostly also Ressources which are there anyway.

I almost exclusively stay at Hilton Hotels in Asia (China) and greatly enjoy their Lounges which are rarely crowded. Their food offerings almost suggest to use it as a dinner replacement and typically the Chinese are not too shy at the buffett . In a country fell of foodies it would be a terrible mistake to tune down the EL.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Plissken
I think the costs of the EL for the Hotels is overestimated as it uses Infrastructure and mostly also Ressources which are there anyway.

I almost exclusively stay at Hilton Hotels in Asia (China) and greatly enjoy their Lounges which are rarely crowded. Their food offerings almost suggest to use it as a dinner replacement and typically the Chinese are not too shy at the buffett . In a country fell of foodies it would be a terrible mistake to tune down the EL.
Like airport lounges, hotel lounges overseas are typically a LOT better than the US
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hilton Liverpool lounge no longer has spirits at weekends i'm told by a trusted client!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.