Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors announces new benefits for Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors announces new benefits for Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by retdetgf
How about free parking for Diamonds at Hilton property's!!! Based upon the difficulty of getting suite upgrades, at least free parking would be something!
That would mean Hilton needs to give you something you really value.

In which case Hilton would need to forego a few dollars in giving you that something you really value.

Not happening any time soon...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelexpert
That would mean Hilton needs to give you something you really value.

In which case Hilton would need to forego a few dollars in giving you that something you really value.

Not happening any time soon...
I know it isn't happening, but while we're dreaming...

...I wish Diamonds received free parking at hotels where car travel is the primary way of accessing the hotel. I don't expect free parking in Manhattan where the hotel doesn't even own the parking garage (it's often outsourced to a valet company who parks the cars in a different garage). Giving away free parking at a hard out-of-pocket cost to the hotel might be seen as public transport users unfairly subsidizing a smallish number of car users. But I've stayed at Hiltons on sprawling properties where (a) they own large surface lots with plenty of room for cars, (b) there is no highly-developed public transit system that most guests are using, and (c) the vast majority of guests are there in cars because there's really no other practical way to get there.

There, the parking fee smacks of another "resort fee" type of charge. Waive that for Diamonds.

And yeah, I know it ain't happening...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
When I travel on business my company pays for hotel parking so that wouldn't be a benefit for me. I'd just like a real room upgrade program for diamonds.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Neuroid
Instead of 'priority' parking in an already free parking lot, why not free park n'fly benefits for Diamonds at airport locations?
I would love to see that as a benefit and iut would make for a unique benefit that would truly make diamond a lot more valueable than gold.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would love to see that as a benefit and iut would make for a unique benefit that would truly make diamond a lot more valueable than gold.
I'm making a huge assumption that most diamonds are business travelers whose employers likely also pay for car service to and from the airport or who pay for their airport parking as well. To me, this wouldn't be a huge benefit because my company covers airport parking allowing me to park as close as possible and often not requiring a shuttle to and from the airport.

I too would like to see something that differentiates diamond benefits from gold benefits that my employer doesn't already cover: more consistent upgrade policy, mini-bar items, better breakfast, perhaps better evening snacks in the executive lounge, complimentary drinks in the executive lounge (I know some provide drink vouchers or have free beer in the lounge but doesn't seem to be consistent), etc. Or, how about priority airport pickup? Hilton sends a car to pick up a diamond that doesn't stop at 16 terminal stops before heading back to the hotel.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Neuroid
This makes my head hurt.

Heck, I'd gladly park in the back left corner of the parking lot (under the berry tree!) to get an upgraded room.

Instead of 'priority' parking in an already free parking lot, why not free park n'fly benefits for Diamonds at airport locations?
My Hampton at BNA has this and not just for Diamonds. I have parked for up to 5 days on a one night stay. I live 100 miles from the airport and it is really handy for very early flights or late arrivals.

However, the Nashville airport authority had upped fees for hotel shuttle drop off. They were $1.25 every time they came on site. That amounts to a $2.50 charge for each stay, so some hotels started charging a small fee for Park and Ride but I was never charged at the Hampton. All manner of complaining ensued so they dropped the charge and raised the fee on valet parking shuttles. It is now $6.50 for every time they drive onto the airport property. All of them have raised their rates and the airport lowered their parking fees. The council has also recently included them in Taxi regulations.

It has been an ugly battle. The Airport Authority is clearly trying to put the valet services out of business and have the power of government at their behest.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I'm making a huge assumption that most diamonds are business travelers whose employers likely also pay for car service to and from the airport or who pay for their airport parking as well. To me, this wouldn't be a huge benefit because my company covers airport parking allowing me to park as close as possible and often not requiring a shuttle to and from the airport.

I too would like to see something that differentiates diamond benefits from gold benefits that my employer doesn't already cover: more consistent upgrade policy, mini-bar items, better breakfast, perhaps better evening snacks in the executive lounge, complimentary drinks in the executive lounge (I know some provide drink vouchers or have free beer in the lounge but doesn't seem to be consistent), etc. Or, how about priority airport pickup? Hilton sends a car to pick up a diamond that doesn't stop at 16 terminal stops before heading back to the hotel.
There are times I travel personally and do a park and ride and would love to get the AAA or MVP rate for less and park for free. There are also a lot of self employed people who have to eat the cost of parking or pass it on to their clients. It would result in lower costs to their clients.

Even if Hampton offered this benefit, flying out DTW, it is my understanding they aren't allowed to have airport parking. I have done park and fly's at a couple DTW hotels and have been told I can't leave my car at the airport if I am not staying there due to Romulus city laws regarding parking (they may be able to allow it though if they aren't charging). I would like to see ALL hilton properties have better parking.

I would love to see Diamonds being allowed to board the hotel shuttles first like on Harrah's shuttles. If there is an IRROP situation at the airport I have seen over hour waits on the shuttles with the lines. It would be nice if the driver would allow diamonds to "preboard"
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by puddinhead
So how is this enforced? Do you have to put your card in the windshield? What if a DYKWIA gold parks there - will they downgrade his room?
lol
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm making a huge assumption that most diamonds are business travelers whose employers likely also pay for car service to and from the airport or who pay for their airport parking as well.
Not this Diamond.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I hadn't looked in the HHonors section for a couple of weeks. This was the first thread I saw. I thought maybe they were trying to make things somewhat right after the massive devaluation.

Good to see it's still business as usual.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
FWIW, the Double Tree in Columbus, GA has several Diamond only parking spaces in their front circle directly across from the front door. My stay there a month ago was the first I had every seen signage like this. Of course, as you can imagine, the Columbus Double Tree also had completely empty diamond parking except for my rental car during the time I was there.
I've actually stayed at several Hilton properties (Hamptons and DoubleTrees, mostly) where I had to circle the lot several times to find a space. DoubleTrees in Denver and near SFO come to mind from my past few months' travel.

For those situations, assuming the spots are actually enforced, I'd find it quite a nice benefit. Nothing to get excited about, but at least something given rather than taken away for a change.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is awesome. I'm moving 100% of my hotel business back to HHonors because of the Diamond Elite Parking benefit.

On my last Hampton stay (in Iowa), I had to park a solid four to five spots away from the door. With this benefit, I'll be able to park a good ten feet closer and all of the lowly Golds and smelly Silvers of the world will have to walk past my sick ride to get to the hotel.

<slow clap>
You forgot the bottom of the barrel blues
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:08 pm

Was given free parking at Hampton Inn Seattle Downtown whereas it's normally around $10 or so/day. Also, would be a clincher for Hampton Inn Times Square North in NYC....
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Diamond Elite Parking sign installed July 2013

Front desk said the signs (about 8 of them) were installed 2 days ago. This pic was taken at a Hampton Inn. Parking was actually available around 6pm last evening. Spaces directly in front of the entrance. Nice touch.

Travel safe!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-diamonds.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.