FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

Wexflyer Feb 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 20281107)
Where are you guys seeing that certain hotels will be 70,000 or 80,000 or 95,000 points on certain dates? When I check those same hotels that you guys listed for later in the year or early next year, they still say 50,000 points on the same dates you guys see 70'000 or 80,000 points

Because the increase does not take effect until later in March!

danger Feb 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 20281107)
Where are you guys seeing that certain hotels will be 70,000 or 80,000 or 95,000 points on certain dates? When I check those same hotels that you guys listed for later in the year or early next year, they still say 50,000 points on the same dates you guys see 70'000 or 80,000 points

I think that might be because if you book now you'll still be paying the current burn rates, not the (generally) inflated ones. Once March 28 ticks over, the burn rates will be different.

This tool, as well as the previously linked PDF, might give you an idea as to where redemption rates are headed.

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 20281168)
So.... You are saying the the OP, who broke the story on limited information, is SO unwilling to make an update that she agreed to update it as soon as she received further information? She fixed the thing that you asked her to fix?

Believe it or not, some of us do not check this forum more than 8 times a day (like I do).

Shock and horror!

Finally fixed it after much prodding. Hoorah!

courspanis Feb 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Transferred some MR points to Hilton in Janurary during the 1k MR for 2k Hilton sale and now left having to book sooner than I'd like.

Originally Posted by gbearbuck (Post 20280431)
Thought #1:
If I were Hilton I would immediately start an additional bonus system for stayed nights (on top of the double points promo). With the massive devaluation of points, hilton can now offer much higher bonuses for paid stays to keep their frequent guests.

They could effectively shrink the value of points from credit cards and maintain the value of points for actual stays. wishful thinking I'm sure...

A logical step, yes, to increase points on stays, but I'm not expecting this anytime soon. I think if this was the plan it would have been announced at the same time to tell people "we're trying to make your stays more valuable."

kamchatsky Feb 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre (Post 20280720)
1 year. (Covered upthread)

Well, you can technically book it more than 1 year ahead (into end of 2014), there is a way to do it .... ;)

Keyser Feb 20, 2013 12:02 am

i'm so happy i didn't renew diamond & used up all my hilton points last year (only left with about 16k points now)....spg will now get the 40 odd hilton stays i used to have every year....

goodbye hilton....you went from having one of the best programs to the worst in the 6 years i was diamond....

holtju2 Feb 20, 2013 12:06 am

Here you go! It ain't pretty! You can read my entire take here.

http://cdn.loyaltylobby.com/wp-conte...8vt1pf7YJg.jpg

http://cdn.loyaltylobby.com/wp-conte...wYWc8ywINZ.jpg

SADDE6 Feb 20, 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by kawoh (Post 20280014)
Ditto, at least they could have offered us something like Lifetime Diamond for those of us who've spent 250+ stays with them over the years.

I'm moving to SPG after 13 years as a Diamond, goodbye Hilton!... unless i'm missing something?

You're not missing anything - except better service, better properties, and having your stays count toward lifetime status.

I was in the exact same situation with Hilton a couple of years back, over a decade as a Diamond and nothing to show for it. I finally realized if I stuck with Hilton I would someday retire with lots of points but no status. Now I'm working toward lifetime status with SPG and burning off the last of my Hilton points.

deirdre Feb 20, 2013 12:25 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 20281417)
Here you go! It ain't pretty! You can read my entire take here.

Nicely done. BTW, it does seem that some of the Cat 10 properties have blocked out all (that I checked) possible redemption dates. They were wide open for some dates I checked a week ago.

cjd Feb 20, 2013 1:00 am

Just woke up to this nightmare:td: Don't feel like going to work now -too depressed. Interesting that they announced it when we'd all just finished voting for the Flyertalk Awards. Wished I hadn't voted for the Hhonors program now!

gav0106 Feb 20, 2013 2:34 am

A bit over the top?

Originally Posted by mspreh (Post 20281216)
Sorry Hilton, I am done with you, this is the final straw. Not too many years ago we could book VIP only deals in Hawaii, for a good value on points. 2 years ago, Hilton Bora Bora, Conrad Maldives, etc. I have been Diamond for 15 consecutive years. My spend last year with Hilton for both work and personal travel was over $30k, and I redeemed about 380,000 points throughout the year. I am sitting on over 2.8 million points right now. My old frustration was that they didn't offer lifetime status, after my trip in a few weeks to Hong Kong, I will have qualified for Diamond for next year already. I will use that status the rest of this year, and all of next year to leave hilton, and use up all of the points I can. I won't dine at your facilities while at your properties, except for my free breakfast(s). I won't drink at your bars. I won't host events at your facilities either. 100% of all the money I spend going forward will be at your competitors, because you just devalued everything I have spent with you in the past. Oh well I'll get to lifetime Gold status with Marriott by the end of next year, and maybe platinum with SPG. I'll start staying at Hyatts as another option.

Thanks for making my money and loyalty rapidly worth so much less.

Adding this memo I just sent to my companies Sales, Marketing, and Travel Coordinators, this should cut another $450k to $500k per year. I'm speaking with every penny I can have influence on, I am so glad we aren't at a Hilton this year for our sales meeting, and we won't be at any while I control that. I am really pissed, I was having a good day until I got this email from Hilton. I shouldn't be as mad as I am, but I am so disappointed in Hilton's repeated actions,

Effective March 1st, 2013: ***(Company Name) will no longer reimburse stays at Hilton affiliated properties with reservations booked after the effective date of this memo. This includes all Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria branded properties, or any others that may join the HHonors program, or have an affiliation with Hilton. This applies to all Sales, Sales Support, Marketing, and Market Development personnel. The only exceptions will allowed with prior written approval from the Director of Sales and Marketing, and only if no other hotel options are available, or a convention or business event is being hosted at such property, and staying off-site would be detrimental to our business's best interests.

Please direct all questions to your assigned travel coordinator.

Thank you,

mspreh
Director of Sales and Marketing

While I understand people's frustrations about the move on redemptions, yes it is annoying and not great, but come on is it really the end of the world? . Surely the corporate rates and level of service they provide are worth more then what points and redemptions you can get. We also use Hilton for corporate business and I am not going to pull my business just because they changed redemption stays, I use them as we get good rates, good levels of service and they have great properties end off, it is business not an excuse to earn points for some nice free stays. I just think a lot of people are over reacting....

Oil-man Feb 20, 2013 2:44 am

Ouch, for those sitting on a pot of points, Hilton has really bent you over and......you know what.

Glad I burned my last 300k at the Conrad Koh Samui last year. That got me 8 nights. if I tried to book under the new system it would get me 3!!!!

Oil-man Feb 20, 2013 2:49 am

I am sitting on over 2.8 million points right now.

The motto is earn & burn. Not just because of this, but over the years devaluation happen across most programs. Sitting on such a lot of points (or miles across airline programs) is always a risk.

It can be done slowly and by stealth, or unfotunately a whole scale massive devaulation as Hilton has done.

ddkrules Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 20281727)
While I understand people's frustrations about the move on redemptions, yes it is annoying and not great, but come on is it really the end of the world? . Surely the corporate rates and level of service they provide are worth more then what points and redemptions you can get. We also use Hilton for corporate business and I am not going to pull my business just because they changed redemption stays, I use them as we get good rates, good levels of service and they have great properties end off, it is business not an excuse to earn points for some nice free stays. I just think a lot of people are over reacting....

You are missing an important point here. The key factor for a loyalty program is just that, to keep customers loyal. This is a major devaluation in the HHonors program only months after making another change, ie. raising the number of stays and nights needed to qualify for the higher tiers.
If customers feel like they get something out of being loyal they will come to you even if you don't have the lowest price or the best location or the best service overall. These changes make the loyalty program a joke (at least when considering the redemptions at the top level (7-10) properties) and will definitely steer people to use all other factors than the loyalty program when choosing a hotel. And what good is a loyalty program for then...?

Oil-man Feb 20, 2013 2:56 am

Adding this memo I just sent to my companies Sales, Marketing, and Travel Coordinators, this should cut another $450k to $500k per year. I'm speaking with every penny I can have influence on, I am so glad we aren't at a Hilton this year for our sales meeting, and we won't be at any while I control that. I am really pissed, I was having a good day until I got this email from Hilton. I shouldn't be as mad as I am, but I am so disappointed in Hilton's repeated actions,

Effective March 1st, 2013: ***(Company Name) will no longer reimburse stays at Hilton affiliated properties with reservations booked after the effective date of this memo. This includes all Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria branded properties, or any others that may join the HHonors program, or have an affiliation with Hilton. This applies to all Sales, Sales Support, Marketing, and Market Development personnel. The only exceptions will allowed with prior written approval from the Director of Sales and Marketing, and only if no other hotel options are available, or a convention or business event is being hosted at such property, and staying off-site would be detrimental to our business's best interests.

Please direct all questions to your assigned travel coordinator.

Thank you,

mspreh
Director of Sales and Marketing

Such a blatant manipulation of my company's travel policy to assist with my personal reward of frequent flyer points would have me fired. I believe this to be true across most, if not all companies.

Sorry, unless you are the company owner I think you are making this up for dramtic effect.