FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

punjabi2 Feb 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Was planning on doing HHonors as part of my AOR..looks like I will skip it now..

Seabilly Feb 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 20278915)
You're misunderstanding. The points are taken out of your account when you book the room, not when you stay there.

Thank you for your response, that certainly makes sense. This was my first use of HHonors rewards and the way I was reading it made these bad changes even worse.

crimsonAA Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Just downgraded my Hilton Surpass card. The only way I'll consider putting even a dime of spend in the basic AmEx is if they give me more than 3 pts/$. I've been with them for about 10 years now -- and now the card goes in my drawer. Can't even get 6x on the gift card game at CVS anymore.

Honestly, I'm really thinking about moving all my spend to my Fidelity AmEx, getting my 2% cash back, and booking more of my hotels through Priceline/Hotwire. Sure, I've had some bad experiences with those portals, but half the time, I end up at a Hyatt/Starwood/Hilton/Marriott property for 50% of the retail rate. Happened to me twice in one month recently, in Montreal with the Hilton and Toronto with the Hyatt.

ma91pmh Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm

What a terrible devaluation. I think some of the rewards were somewhat under-priced like Conrad Maldives, but boy did they shift the pendulum back to the other side.

This I guess increases the value of the Citi Reserve two weekend nights sign-up. Though given the earning level it does not make the one free night at $10k spend that attractive, seems the spend is better placed elsewhere

iqbalt80 Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Just booked my 8 night stay at Conrad Rangali Island in December. Cannot afford this place after the devaluation. :(

SFO_Chad Feb 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 (Post 20279163)
Just booked my 8 night stay at Conrad Rangali Island in December. Cannot afford this place after the devaluation. :(

So happy I blew almost every last Hilton point I had at Rangali when it was only 40K a night. And we got upgraded to deluxe beach villa for 4 nights and then switched to a spa villa for 4 nights.

luv2ctheworld Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 20278836)
As I sit here, spending more mental energy on this than it is probably worth, I find myself reminiscing about the good old days. Who remembers 6 nights at the Waikaloa Village for 100,000?

I do, fondly and also with a huge sense of anger... because I did book it for 100K, and had to change plans, so I had to cancel. Thought I would just rebook later, and wound up missing the inflation from 100,000 to 175,000+. I was sooo P.O.'ed that was when I went to SPG. Now that I am starting to come back to Hilton, this happens.

The one good thing is HWV is still Cat 7, and points still show 50K. I can't say the same for the Conrad Hong Kong and Tokyo, as they both went from Cat 7 to 9 and 10 respectively; which is outrageously high.

Originally Posted by crimsonAA (Post 20279146)
...Can't even get 6x on the gift card game at CVS anymore.

No, but if you can find Greendot @ your grocery store that takes CC, you can still get 5x.

I can only hope against hope that so many HHonors members will be soooo sick of this that they'll just stop booking Hilton brand and go to SPG or Hyatt (presuming they don't destroy their's either). And Hilton will say, oops, a bridge too far and drop some properties back down.

tkelvin69 Feb 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm not a fan of the changes either but there is no outrage like many have expressed. We have become so accustomed to getting these freebies that there is a sense of entitlement they last forever. I usually stay off season at good prices so the impact will be less but frankly, when I get a top floor suite at the Dubrovnik Hilton for $120/nt (and many other similar examples), the change in point redemption isn't that big of a deal. It's the treatment, rooms, and EL that get my attention. Points are a plus.

crimsonAA Feb 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 20279236)
I'm not a fan of the changes either but there is no outrage like many have expressed. We have become so accustomed to getting these freebies that there is a sense of entitlement they last forever. I usually stay off season at good prices so the impact will be less but frankly, when I get a top floor suite at the Dubrovnik Hilton for $120/nt (and many other similar examples), the change in point redemption is that big of a deal. It's the treatment, rooms, and EL that get my attention. Points are a plus.

You've got a point, but for aspirational awards, this basically sounds a death knell. My goal is to use my HH points at the Conrad in Tokyo like I did once a few years ago. Can't do that now, so I'm just not motivated to play ball with HH in general. I won't go out of my way to stay with Hilton anymore, much less to put spending on their credit card.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Feb 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Perfectly timed. Just got my card along with three year extension of my Diamond status. Time to burn points.

Hokies82 Feb 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 20278836)
As I sit here, spending more mental energy on this than it is probably worth, I find myself reminiscing about the good old days. Who remembers 6 nights at the Waikaloa Village for 100,000?

Well in "the good ole days" status and points were based on stays. Devaluation only came when they started minting points with credit card use. Now you can get Diamond without spending a night in a Hilton property. What does this tell you about their definition of loyalty. The hotel chains need to decide what business they are in. Yes Marriott last week, Hilton this week and I'm sure SPG and Hyatt will follow. Conrad Hilton must be rolling in his grave, the Hotels he built now care more about what credit card people use.

Happy Feb 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pointsloop (Post 20278537)
Doesn't the 5th night free kinda make up for the rate increase in some cases?

If there is any, it would be very limited number.

Conrad Hong Kong under AXON is 145K for 4 nights.

Now it is an 80K property 5 nights (the 5th free) would cost 320K (4 x 80K).

It is almost 100% increase. :td: :mad:

Points Surfer Feb 19, 2013 4:39 pm

With IHG messing with their PCR program I'm shifting that to HH in 2013 but what can you do. That old saying was very true......you can run but you can't hide. Oh well, maybe I'll just try to make more money and stay at all inclusive resorts on vacation instead of playing the points game for 2014 and cut my hotel stays next year. I'll admit things cost more these days but travellers are sure getting taken for granted these days. Why HH (or anyone) wants to remove personal incentives to stay at their establishment is a wonderment. To other comments, true SPG could come out of this smiling it they gouge people less than others.

concol Feb 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Earlier today I booked 1 night at Conrad Hong Kong for 50K and 1 night at Conrad Singapore for 40K. I then went to my email looking for the booking confirmation emails. Happened to see the HH email about the change in levels. I am glad I booked before the changes hit and the rush of people trying to burn their points.

Overall not good as I was saving up for 2 nights at Rome Cavalieri currently at 50K now moving to 80K for spring next year.

IflyfromPHX Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm

:mad:Wow. About all I can say without flying into a fit of rage.:mad: