Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What's with Hampton not putting water & snack in room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite

Haven't been at a Hampton in a while, and had three this week and have discovered they no longer leave a snack and water in your room as part of the Diamond perk. First Hampton tells me you now get it when you check in, and they should have asked me when I checked in. At the next one I see the little plexiglass display showing you your choices, and am told I can have one of each. At the final of the 3-Hampton tour tonight I see the little box but there are only drinks in it. When I asked about it, the clerk says, "oh I didn't think you would want one, so I didn't offer." Guess I didn't look thirsty or something.

So what's going on, are they trying to eliminate the perk? Do the properties not like having to provide the perk, and are trying to slowly eliminate it? I always thought it was a nice touch, to find a candy bar, and a couple of bottles in the room, when you check in after midnight after a long day. It kind of says welcome like the Doubletree cookie, and makes you overlook other shortcomings of the hotel. It's funny how something that costs them around a buck will sway you to stay with a certain chain, yet the management doesn't seem to understand this, and it is the first thing they cut as a cost saving. All I can assume is the people running hotels never actually are hotel guests and don't have to routinely deal with night clerks who let you know working at a hotel or motel was not in their career goals.

I am becoming less and less impressed with Hampton lately as I head out to the hinterlands where it used to be the Hampton Inns were consistent and nice for what they are. Now they seem to be more hit or miss like Holiday Inns from years ago before their makeover.

Not so impressed with this new enhancement. Upside is am seeing more and more of the Hyatt Place properties starting to come out closer to the hinterlands, and are a much nicer option for about the same price as the Hamptons.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I haven't opted to get a snack at a Hampton for a while now. However, in my experience some properties find it easier to check the guest's option choice at check-in, offering it to those who are due the goodies according to the screen. The current snack options are quite new: one food and one drink choice of those displayed. You seem to have hit a couple of not-so-efficient properties.

I did have one manager semi-snarl at me: "There may be water and cookies in your room (even though you're not entitled to them)." They were there; I hope the poor franchise owner's bottom line didn't suffer too badly.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Hilton Diamond, CX Gold
Originally Posted by ctuttle
Haven't been at a Hampton in a while, and had three this week and have discovered they no longer leave a snack and water in your room as part of the Diamond perk. First Hampton tells me you now get it when you check in, and they should have asked me when I checked in. At the next one I see the little plexiglass display showing you your choices, and am told I can have one of each. At the final of the 3-Hampton tour tonight I see the little box but there are only drinks in it. When I asked about it, the clerk says, "oh I didn't think you would want one, so I didn't offer." Guess I didn't look thirsty or something.

So what's going on, are they trying to eliminate the perk? Do the properties not like having to provide the perk, and are trying to slowly eliminate it? I always thought it was a nice touch, to find a candy bar, and a couple of bottles in the room, when you check in after midnight after a long day. It kind of says welcome like the Doubletree cookie, and makes you overlook other shortcomings of the hotel. It's funny how something that costs them around a buck will sway you to stay with a certain chain, yet the management doesn't seem to understand this, and it is the first thing they cut as a cost saving. All I can assume is the people running hotels never actually are hotel guests and don't have to routinely deal with night clerks who let you know working at a hotel or motel was not in their career goals.

I am becoming less and less impressed with Hampton lately as I head out to the hinterlands where it used to be the Hampton Inns were consistent and nice for what they are. Now they seem to be more hit or miss like Holiday Inns from years ago before their makeover.

Not so impressed with this new enhancement. Upside is am seeing more and more of the Hyatt Place properties starting to come out closer to the hinterlands, and are a much nicer option for about the same price as the Hamptons.
Same at Hampton NYC last year and need to ask them !
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SPH-L710 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Am I the only one ok with this? I used to get 2 bottled waters and some nasty cheeseits in my room, last werk on each of 3 stays got a vitamin water and some haribo gummy bears.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Upgraded HH snacks and drink

The new HH Gold and Diamond snacks are truly an upgrade. You would not think so, due to the OP's unfortunate recent encounter. It stinks that the OP ran into a lazy desk clerk with this comment: "oh I didn't think you would want one, so I didn't offer."

The new snacks and drinks are "nicer" (ie. more expensive for the hotel). Also, you now get to tell the check in agent which options that you would prefer.

The one downside is that handing the goodies across the front desk counter will slow down everyone's check in process. If you want to speed up your check in process then chose 250 bonus points as your "My Way" preference.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
@:-) Maybe a couple of invocations of the "100% Hampton Guarantee" will get this situation back to where it should be. @:-)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I haven't opted to get a snack at a Hampton for a while now. However, in my experience some properties find it easier to check the guest's option choice at check-in, offering it to those who are due the goodies according to the screen. The current snack options are quite new: one food and one drink choice of those displayed. You seem to have hit a couple of not-so-efficient properties.

I did have one manager semi-snarl at me: "There may be water and cookies in your room (even though you're not entitled to them)." They were there; I hope the poor franchise owner's bottom line didn't suffer too badly.
Depending on the property, I often switch rooms at check-in from my "assigned" one. I suspect I'm not alone, so there's no point putting my goodies in a room for someone else.

Not a major problem IMO.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you don't like the snack is it rude to ask to switch it? Sometimes they give us cookies when we feel like chips, or vice versa.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's much easier to just ask when you are checking in. If you expect it to be in the room and it's not you will be disappointed.

If you want gumi bears, and they gave you oreos in the room, you will be disappointed.

If you want them to ask you instead of you asking them, you will be disappointed.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
It's much easier to just ask when you are checking in. If you expect it to be in the room and it's not you will be disappointed.

If you want gumi bears, and they gave you oreos in the room, you will be disappointed.

If you want them to ask you instead of you asking them, you will be disappointed.
So true. This type of thread always cracks me up.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The snack has always been in our room. Therefore in my experience my question should really not have been such a source of amusement for you, but glad to brighten your day.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Seeems ok for me, normally water and a kit kat which I'm happy with!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I too have noticed a change recently from "in your room" to "choose at chek-in".
At first I thought it was property specific way of handling it but now that I've read this thread, it does seem to be a new procedure.
So far, the FD has always asked me what choices I wanted without my asking. Of course they should, as I'm in the habit of just accepting whatever is in my room.

And IMO, this new procedure (if that's truly what it is) is much better. As already stated: you have a choice, the items to select from are of better quality than in the past, you don't risk losing your snack from a room change.
The only negative I can think of is having to manage a couple more items as I schlop my way from check-in to my room with luggage in hand
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I have seen it more and more, in this case I like the choice, but carrying more stuff is a pain. Overall it seems they are slowly going more self serve, as I have not seen a paper delivered in a while and that is not just at Hamptons.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My most recent Hampton experience was at the Reagan Airport Hampton Inn in Crystal City, VA in Nov 2012. The desk clerk told me at check-in to take a snack item of my choice from the Suite Shop, along with a bottle of water from the Suite Shop fridge. I really liked that. The water was cold and the snack item was something I actually like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.