FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's with Hampton not putting water & snack in room?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:01 pm
ctuttle

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
What's with Hampton not putting water & snack in room?

Haven't been at a Hampton in a while, and had three this week and have discovered they no longer leave a snack and water in your room as part of the Diamond perk. First Hampton tells me you now get it when you check in, and they should have asked me when I checked in. At the next one I see the little plexiglass display showing you your choices, and am told I can have one of each. At the final of the 3-Hampton tour tonight I see the little box but there are only drinks in it. When I asked about it, the clerk says, "oh I didn't think you would want one, so I didn't offer." Guess I didn't look thirsty or something.

So what's going on, are they trying to eliminate the perk? Do the properties not like having to provide the perk, and are trying to slowly eliminate it? I always thought it was a nice touch, to find a candy bar, and a couple of bottles in the room, when you check in after midnight after a long day. It kind of says welcome like the Doubletree cookie, and makes you overlook other shortcomings of the hotel. It's funny how something that costs them around a buck will sway you to stay with a certain chain, yet the management doesn't seem to understand this, and it is the first thing they cut as a cost saving. All I can assume is the people running hotels never actually are hotel guests and don't have to routinely deal with night clerks who let you know working at a hotel or motel was not in their career goals.

I am becoming less and less impressed with Hampton lately as I head out to the hinterlands where it used to be the Hampton Inns were consistent and nice for what they are. Now they seem to be more hit or miss like Holiday Inns from years ago before their makeover.

Not so impressed with this new enhancement. Upside is am seeing more and more of the Hyatt Place properties starting to come out closer to the hinterlands, and are a much nicer option for about the same price as the Hamptons.