Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond and Gold for Amenities for Homewood Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond and Gold for Amenities for Homewood Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by LonelyNightAuditor
Thank you everyone for the replies. The ideas are all good and all seem pretty do-able. We are in the SW, so I like the idea of putting a local salsa and tortilla chips in the room (or would that be to cliche?)
I think it would be great, as long as the chips are still in a sealed bag and the salsa refrigerated. If you are planning on leaving them out, forget about it
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

It seems you are not too familiar with HS benefits for gold and diamond, only diamond will get bonus points + snacks. .
Let me put it this way:
pretty much 90% of my stays are HIs and HMSs. I have points selected for the "on my way" choice. I vary between gold and diamond. As a gold, the last 3 years, while getting the points, I NEVER did not get a snack as well. that's about 50-60 stays. YMMV, but it usually is double dipping
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Let me put it this way:
pretty much 90% of my stays are HIs and HMSs. I have points selected for the "on my way" choice. I vary between gold and diamond. As a gold, the last 3 years, while getting the points, I NEVER did not get a snack as well. that's about 50-60 stays. YMMV, but it usually is double dipping
Diamonds get screwed at Homewoods. It's a choice of the water and snack OR 250 points. We get treated no different than a gold unless it's a property that will give you both. I have stayed at a couple HGI's that have given diamonds both points and breakfast though.

Homewood and Hampton need to add additional on site benefits for diamonds like bonus points AND the snack.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by keeton
...Golds and Diamonds already get extra bonus points from their status.
It seems you are not too familiar with HS benefits for gold and diamond, only diamond will get bonus points + snacks. For gold it is either points or snacks, not both. The extra bonus points are limit to 250 points, not 1000 points like other brands...
No, it seems you are not too familiar with HH benefits as golds will get a 25% bonus on base points while diamonds will get a 50% bonus. This is above and beyond any MyWay or double dipping option, which just sweetens the pot a little more. That is what I was referring to.

No it won't confuse other guest, just like those HI I had been to that have evening receptions mon-thurs, I didn't expect it would have the same at other HI, and no one ever comment they expect all HI would do the same. That's why Hilton has those lighthouse award or top 10% quality awards for HI and HS to recognize individual property go above and beyond the standard service level.
It has been reported here by a HI employee that when Hilton would inspect their property, they would get dinged if the amenities were above the brand standard. Yes, I have been to HIs that have an evening reception but these were for all guests, not just golds or diamonds, and was usually in response to competitive pressures (such as the Homewood a block away ).

The responses in this thread indicate that many want their gold and diamond encrusted butts kissed but Homewood has a pretty good formula in their market segment. Look at Residence Inn if you want to see a flawed implementation.

Last edited by keeton; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
No, it seems you are not too familiar with HH benefits as golds will get a 25% bonus on base points while diamonds will get a 50% bonus. This is above and beyond any MyWay or double dipping option, which just sweetens the pot a little more. That is what I was referring to.
I think we are talking about HS benefits to gold and diamond, not in general how many points or miles gold and diamond would earn in any Hilton brands. And by referring to what in general gold and diamond would get the points and miles, it is totally meaningless.

Besides, any hotel chains and airlines would give bonus points or miles to status members on top of other benefits, so there is nothing above and beyond what Hilton is doing for golds and diamonds.

It has been reported here by a HI employee that when Hilton would inspect their property, they would get dinged if the amenities were above the brand standard. Yes, I have been to HIs that have an evening reception but these were for all guests, not just golds or diamonds, and was usually in response to competitive pressures (such as the Homewood a block away ).

The responses in this thread indicate that many want their gold and diamond encrusted butts kissed but Homewood has a pretty good formula in their market segment. Look at Residence Inn if you want to see a flawed implementation.
Really ? However are you aware both HI and HS are in a program that certain property if they go above and beyond, the property would get certain awards ? Ever heard about lighthouse awards ? Top 25% property ? Top 10% property ? This is not even a secret as it used to be publish on that thick property locations books and now on the website. In order to get those awards, it is not only base on a lot of positive comments and very little complaints, they look at what other stuff the individual property will do for their guest.

There are often HI and HS side by side, or even a cluster of hotels right next to each other at many airport locations. Did all those HI will provide evening receptions ? Absolutely not. Those HI that have evening reception or HS that have nicer food for evening reception often get one of those awards rather then they do these things just because of competitive pressures. Like how many HI you had been to you will see both bodywash and mouthwash on top of the standard toiletries shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap ? These are some of the extras I am talking about.

By comparing what other chains did for a brand is pointless. It is well known to most of us that the benefits of being a gold or diamond staying at HI and HS are minimal, that's a fact.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:01 am
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I wonder if that is why the Bentley in Miami Beach has REALLY cut back on their benefits to diamonds?? They used to go out of their way to give diamonds a great experience. I would get a free bottle of wine, 2 free chairs and one umbrella every day at the beach, free FULL buffet for breakfast every morning.

Now no free chairs or umbrella at the beach. Breakfast is now a $5 upgrade for diamonds ($10 for gold). Still the free bottle of wine at least.

But if those benefits would have remainded the Bentley would get any paid stays in Miami beach from now. Now if the Marriott next door is a little cheaper may as well stay there. I get free internet and plenty of place to walk to for breakfast I like if I don't get breakfast comped (and IIRC it's a hot breakfast at marriotts with no lounges for gold). That property went from having excelent benefits for diamonds to now the only benefit being you get a full breakfast for $5 less than a gold (I always travel when hotel is full so upgrades are a worthless benefit then).

Sounds like OP is trying to make his Homewood like the Bentley used to be by trying to keep his top guests happy and Hilton should be happy as well. A stay at a homewood by a regular traveller will mean people are more likely to stay at other Hilton brands
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wonder if that is why the Bentley in Miami Beach has REALLY cut back on their benefits to diamonds?? They used to go out of their way to give diamonds a great experience. I would get a free bottle of wine, 2 free chairs and one umbrella every day at the beach, free FULL buffet for breakfast every morning.

Now no free chairs or umbrella at the beach. Breakfast is now a $5 upgrade for diamonds ($10 for gold). Still the free bottle of wine at least.
It could be that HH is making for tighter controls of the brand standard - or it could just be cost cutting.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Sounds like OP is trying to make his Homewood like the Bentley used to be by trying to keep his top guests happy and Hilton should be happy as well. A stay at a homewood by a regular traveller will mean people are more likely to stay at other Hilton brands
I agree with the first part of your first sentence and as I said in my first comment, his intent is laudable. I kind of disagree with the second sentence in that if the guest found the OP's property to be so lavish with the perks they might be disappointed when they were not getting them at the other Homewood properties. That is the purpose of having brand standards. If HH wants to add Diamond benefits at limited-service properties, then it should be across the board.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I get the idea that brand standards are there for a reason, for the consistancy across the board, but with what I have kind of in my mind isn't going to be something super extravagent, just a small thank you. That's also the reason I was learning towards something tangible that would be obvious that would be extra. I guess I'll find out when if we are allowed to do this when I propose it to my GM. Thanks again everyone for your input and discussion. Hope everyone has a safe new years and safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.