Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond and Gold for Amenities for Homewood Suites

Old Dec 25, 12, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I've been working at a HWS for just about a year now and have been lurking these forums for the past few months. I think this site is a valuable tool into learning about frequent travelers (also great for planning my Seattle trip coming up in a few months!). Anyways, I've been thinking about extra things we can do for Diamond and Gold members since wifi, breakfast, and dinner are already free for everyone. Also, at the property where I am at we don't have any studio rooms, nor do we have any fireplace suites. Essentially, our rooms are all a living room with 1 bedroom (1 or 2 beds in it) or a 2 bedroom suite). Being the night auditor, I go through the days arrivals and see if there are any potential upgrade possibilities. I will usually upgrade any diamond or gold w/ 2 or more guests in the reservation, kind of thinking that a single guest isn't goign to need the extra bedroom/bathroom.

Some of the ideas that I was kind of thinking about include guarenteed late checkout, or reaching out to incoming guests and seeing if they want some cold sodas in the room as opposed to water (or the 250 bonus points). Was wondering what you guys thought of them? Or any other reasonable things we could do for diamond and gold members.
Old Dec 25, 12, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Welcome to FT!

You are right, HWS has most of the perks standard. I think a great check in, ask if there's anything that needs arranging ala concierge, and offer of a couple of cold sodas or small bottle of wine would be fabulous, if the budget allows. Would certainly make me feel appreciated.
Old Dec 25, 12, 12:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, Star Alliance
A benefit I enjoy is a welcome gift. It can be something simple like a voucher for a free appetizer at a local restaurant.

This will encourage guests to go out and see the local area, and it might drum up business for a small locally owned restaurant.

The bottle of wine is also a nice touch. You can probably buy a case or two of a locally produced wine and get a good deal.

As you can see, I lean toward local items. They just seem more personal than a cookie or silly stuffed animal that other hotel chains offer.
Old Dec 25, 12, 12:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
If you were to consistently call me in advance of my stay and ask if there was anything you could do to make my stay more enjoyable (sodas, upgrades, etc.), you'd win my business every time I was in your city. A phone call is something that takes time, so I'd really feel like I was getting a personal touch.
Old Dec 25, 12, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Personal contact is great, but I'd hate to have to deal with all the different time zones and there's nothing that says I'm going to be in my "home" town. Not to mention being on a plane with the phone off. I add confusion in having an east coast number on my profile with a west coast address!

Having something in the room (and COLD) is always a nice touch. Water bottles should always be stocked in the fridge! Maybe an eMail a day or two ahead would be workable. The only issue is last minute room changes, really messes that up.

Thanks for thinking outside the box and looking at the bigger picture. Hope you move to corporate and shake things up there!
Old Dec 25, 12, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I am one of those rare HHonors Diamonds who get 90% of their stays either in Hampton Inns or Homewood Suites, just because I do like the brands and the consistency their offer domestically.

As what can HMS do as extra to me? Really, not that much I usually travel for business and some times for family trips in the weekends. I can see where I would love the option to upgrade for free to a 2 room suite when I have my kids around, but it would be totally unnecessary during a work trip. How about upping the extra my way points from 250 to 1000? That would go a long ways, since all the perks are pretty much there...
Old Dec 25, 12, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Something I would like to see at HS's is somethign besides 2 bottles of water and the cookies. I would love it if the hotels would provide 2 bottles of water per day instead of per stay (some properties do) and diet coke or regular coke and some of the snack.

I would love to see HS's also offer the bonus points to diamonds in addition to the snack selection isntead of chosing between the two (and would like to see this at all Hilton brands).

Recognizing your guest status at check in goes a long way for amny guests. Something I appreciate at check in is when the front desk asks me if I want a late checkout. If I know a property gives 2 or 4 p.m. checkouts as a standard they are a lot more likely to get my business when I am in their city.
Old Dec 26, 12, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Most of time I don't get just the std amenity, so usually get UG (if available) and then a nice welcome snack pack with water.
Old Dec 26, 12, 7:44 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Something I would like to see at HS's is somethign besides 2 bottles of water and the cookies. I would love it if the hotels would provide 2 bottles of water per day instead of per stay (some properties do) and diet coke or regular coke and some of the snack.

I would love to see HS's also offer the bonus points to diamonds in addition to the snack selection isntead of chosing between the two (and would like to see this at all Hilton brands).

Recognizing your guest status at check in goes a long way for amny guests. Something I appreciate at check in is when the front desk asks me if I want a late checkout. If I know a property gives 2 or 4 p.m. checkouts as a standard they are a lot more likely to get my business when I am in their city.
+1
Old Dec 26, 12, 8:40 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I like the suggestion of a coupon for an appetizer from a local place as well.

I think a small cheese plate or fruit plate for diamonds would be a nice touch as well. At Homewood diamonds never receive any additional benefits than golds and not much more than silvers, so it would be a nice touch.
Old Dec 26, 12, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
I rarely update my profile so when I book a trip it always says one guest whether the trip is for business or leisure. But I do fill out the box for special requests. I'm sure no one reads it since I was never granted or acknowleged of my requests.

I just have to remember to change the number of guests when I book trips for my family. This might explain why I've only managed to receive 5-6 upgrades in 4 years.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:07 am

Just made diamond for the first time a week or so ago. Love the suggestion of a coupon for a locally owned establishment.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by flyertalk77 View Post
I rarely update my profile so when I book a trip it always says one guest whether the trip is for business or leisure. But I do fill out the box for special requests. I'm sure no one reads it since I was never granted or acknowleged of my requests.

I just have to remember to change the number of guests when I book trips for my family. This might explain why I've only managed to receive 5-6 upgrades in 4 years.
I never knew the number of guests had anything to do with upgrades. I figured upgrades went to diamonds first and then golds based on the number of beds requested and smoking preference.

I was under the assumption that if I had a room booked with 1-king bed non-smoking room for 1-guest as a diamond and a gold had the same room type booked for the same nights but for 2-guests I would be upgraded first. Hopefully this is the case at most hilton properties. I can understand a 2-bedroom suite going to a family over a single person at HS, but some of the Hiltons I stay at have 2 bathroom suites or executive rooms and there are times I like those rooms when travelling solo just for the extra space in the bedroom area.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by irishPirate View Post
Just made diamond for the first time a week or so ago. Love the suggestion of a coupon for a locally owned establishment.
And if it's a family using the coupon, they are likely going to order dinner for everyone on top of the appetizer (if it's for a free appetizer), or if they do it for a free drink or dessert, a solo traveller will order dinner as well and would be likely to have a paid drink or two on top of the free drink.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
And if it's a family using the coupon, they are likely going to order dinner for everyone on top of the appetizer (if it's for a free appetizer), or if they do it for a free drink or dessert, a solo traveller will order dinner as well and would be likely to have a paid drink or two on top of the free drink.
Yup. And after a long day, I don't want to do the footwork to go hunting for little hidden out of the way local restaurants. I'd rather the hotel staff tell me where to go for dinner.

Search this Thread