Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redshift27
UK Hilton credit card - free Silver, or Gold if you spend £10,000 per year.

https://www.hhonorscard.co.uk/Hilton...e/Welcome.aspx
Sorry had forgotten they offered that - it's such a poorly managed card (run by Barclaycard), with poor earnings that I cancelled it after reaching the minimum spend.

However by comparison (see http://freetravelgenius.com/hilton-cards/) the Visa Reserve in the US has automatic recurring Gold status (with Diamond for $40k spend) and 0% forex fees (vs 3% or so on the UK card). The UK card offers 2 HHonors points per £1 spent (3 per £1 with Hilton) vs the US card offering 3 per $1 (=£0.60) with 10 per $1 spent with Hilton - that makes it a vastly more lucrative card and thus worth keeping/reaching the spend target to maintain status. The UK one is really quite pitiful by comparison.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's the logic in that, really? Do you think that Hilton is going to run out of free continental breakfasts, bottled water, or points?
No of course not, but presumably they're trying to maintain a limit on the number reaching the different status tiers to maintain 'exclusivity' - I'm just pointing out that they're increasing the requirements for those achieving status through stays but not for those achieving it through other routes.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:11 pm

New HHonors T&C 2013 downer

More nights, stays, base-points are needed for tier levels in 2013.....

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html

Gold 2012: 16 stays / 36 nights / 60K base-points
Gold 2013: 20 stays / 40 nights / 75K base-points.

Diamond 2012: 28 stays / 60 nights / 100K base-points
Diamond 2013: 30 stays / 60 nights / 120K base-points

Last edited by Puddlestone; Dec 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Im fine with this, just the credit cards to tidy up now :-)
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This is really disappointing. It will now probably be July before I get the nights for Diamond. I was getting it in June.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
No of course not, but presumably they're trying to maintain a limit on the number reaching the different status tiers to maintain 'exclusivity' - I'm just pointing out that they're increasing the requirements for those achieving status through stays but not for those achieving it through other routes.
Exactly. You can have the status via credit cards or fast track offers while, at the same time, they are increasing the requirements to those that actually stay at their hotels.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Exactly. You can have the status via credit cards or fast track offers while, at the same time, they are increasing the requirements to those that actually stay at their hotels.
With the extra kicker that the credit card offers are pretty rubbish outside the USA, or in many countries non-existent - bit of a joke for a theoretically global brand!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
And even there, there is a disparity. You just need two more stays at that $99 a night Hampton Inn, but if you are a Diamond on base points, then you need to spend another $2,000!

Well, I'd decided not to bother with Diamond after 2013 anyway, work changes were making it expensive. This puts it completely out of reach.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Do you think that Hilton is going to run out of free continental breakfasts, bottled water, or points?
^
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Hilton obviously doesn't want us making Gold and Diamond the hard way, earn it by stayuing at Hilton hotels. They want to give out Gold and Diamond status to credit card holders who spend money anywhere but at Hiltons.

Even though I have over 30 Hilton stays this year, I definitely will focus on SPG in 2013.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Just noticed this while checking my HHonors account (Gold) and going to the qualifications page to see if anything had changed. Here's the T&C from HHonors regarding the qualifying changes for Golds starting in 2013.

1.During calendar year 2012, Hilton HHonors Gold Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 16 stays, 36 nights, or 60,000 Base Points. Beginning January 1, 2013, Hilton HHonors Gold Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 20 stays, 40 nights or 75,000 Base Points earned during any calendar year. A "night" is a night that is part of a "stay," as that term is defined herein. Base Points earned will count toward Gold Elite tier qualification. Bonus Points earned on Base Points do not count toward Elite tier qualification.

No changes for Silvers, but there are also new qualifications starting in 2013 for Diamonds.

So a bit harder to make each of the two higher tiers, unless you regularly exceed the norms anyway.

bj-21.
Strange they are increasing the requirements for Gold when they started giving out the status a few months back with the reserve Visa. And more properties are enforcing not giving out lounge access to golds who aren't on the exec level.

Makes no sense, less of a chance at lounge access, more golds to compete with for upgrades due to the Visa card and now they are making getting gold status harder on the people that actually spend money at Hilton???
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by cjd
At least if you qualify this year on the existing requirements, you'll be Diamond until the end of 2013 and probably till the end of March 2014, unless they also modify that changeover date.
I received my Diamond card two weeks ago and it does say it is good through 3/14.

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Makes no sense, less of a chance at lounge access, more golds to compete with for upgrades due to the Visa card and now they are making getting gold status harder on the people that actually spend money at Hilton???
The thing about that is that if someone does not stay often at Hilton properties, he will not be competing with you.

I had very few stays this year (not enough to qualify for silver) and got my Diamond through my Surpass Card spend. I have two remaining stays this year, one in the DoubleTree Chelsea and the other in the Airport Embassy Suites in ATL.

Neither has an Executive Lounge and hence no Executive Floor. In fact, as I have asked for a smoking room, and both hotels have all such rooms on the same floor, even if there was an Executive Floor I would not be on it.

I can't see how my Diamond status is going to put me in competition with anyone.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Damn, I'll have to take another golf trip next year to meet the new requirements.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Nice move. I am not going to get qualified after this.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dovster
I received my Diamond card two weeks ago and it does say it is good through 3/14.

The thing about that is that if someone does not stay often at Hilton properties, he will not be competing with you.

I had very few stays this year (not enough to qualify for silver) and got my Diamond through my Surpass Card spend. I have two remaining stays this year, one in the DoubleTree Chelsea and the other in the Airport Embassy Suites in ATL.

Neither has an Executive Lounge and hence no Executive Floor. In fact, as I have asked for a smoking room, and both hotels have all such rooms on the same floor, even if there was an Executive Floor I would not be on it.

I can't see how my Diamond status is going to put me in competition with anyone.
Are they getting so many sign-ups for the VISA Reserve card and their other CC that Hilton feels that may cause more overcrowding in the already often packed Executive Lounges and floors? And they've decided that one way to "control" the crowds a bit is to increase the requalifications for Diamonds and Golds who actually pay and stay at their properties in the hopes that some may drop down to Silver or Blue, thus giving up the perks.

If the Hilton VISA Reserve card were offered with the same perks up here in the frozen north, I'd jump at the chance to get it, instead of having to sweat keeping my Gold status through stays (paid or points) every year. The $95 cost is easily recouped with a couple of breakfasts and a few upgrades for Golds. But Hilton seems not to notice or care that other chains have CC that are available outside the U.S. (at least nothing yet from them for Canada). So for us it means not as frequent stays at Hiltons, rather more HGI, HWS, ES, or HI's (don't like DT's, too inconsistant) and saving our points for the higher priced Hiltons we prefer but won't pay their higher rates. Hopefully that will still let us keep our Gold status in 2014.

bj-21.

OT--The Hilton Fallsview in Niagara Falls appears to be going totally non-smoking next year, even in the South Tower that had several smoking floors, so that removes one property that we visited often, as the Mrs. and I are both smokers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.