Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.

New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.

Old Dec 2, 12, 4:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 829
New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.

Sorry, probably posted elsewhere but is there discussion of the increase in base points required to become a diamond?

"During calendar year 2012, Hilton HHonors Diamond Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 28 stays, 60 nights, or 100,000 Base Points. Beginning January 1, 2013, Hilton HHonors Diamond Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 30 stays, 60 nights or 120,000 Base Points earned during any calendar year"
Cynicor is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 5:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Posts: 5,142
Good catch I had not seen this either. Gold also increasing to 75k base points to qualify. Somewhat sneaky to roll this out in the T&C fine print but what do you really expect? Hopefully some meaningful improvement in benefits will accompany.
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 5:52 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,720
Saw the article on Loyaltylobby.com.

Gold takes 20 stays now. Diamond takes 30.
lcpteck is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 7:53 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Posts: 2,638
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
Saw the article on Loyaltylobby.com.

Gold takes 20 stays now. Diamond takes 30.
Are the Fast Tracks still in play (4 stays in 90 days)? Or have they changed, too? I'm dropping from Diamond to Gold in 2013 and prb will not qualify for Gold any of the regular hotel loyalty ways any more.

Funny, they are making it harder to get to Gold via the true loyalty path but make it so easy via other ways.

If Hilton is trying to restrict the numbers of Golds and Diamonds, this is not the way to do it.
travelinfoo is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 8:53 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Posts: 2,907
Just noticed this while checking my HHonors account (Gold) and going to the qualifications page to see if anything had changed. Here's the T&C from HHonors regarding the qualifying changes for Golds starting in 2013.

1.During calendar year 2012, Hilton HHonors Gold Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 16 stays, 36 nights, or 60,000 Base Points. Beginning January 1, 2013, Hilton HHonors Gold Elite membership will be awarded to Members with 20 stays, 40 nights or 75,000 Base Points earned during any calendar year. A "night" is a night that is part of a "stay," as that term is defined herein. Base Points earned will count toward Gold Elite tier qualification. Bonus Points earned on Base Points do not count toward Elite tier qualification.

No changes for Silvers, but there are also new qualifications starting in 2013 for Diamonds.

So a bit harder to make each of the two higher tiers, unless you regularly exceed the norms anyway.

bj-21.
blackjack-21 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 8:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cote d'Ivoire
Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Posts: 3,138
thanks for the heads up.

if needed: http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...g-changes.html
Abidjan is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 10:28 am
  #7  
cjd
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 2,310
At least if you qualify this year on the existing requirements, you'll be Diamond until the end of 2013 and probably till the end of March 2014, unless they also modify that changeover date.
cjd is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 10:55 am
  #8  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Posts: 1,658
I think it is not a bad sign, because this means Hilton will continue to give the same ammenities to Golds and Diamonds. It's strange to me why spend for Diamond increased 25%, where the number of stays required only went up 7%, by 2 stays/year, and the number of nights stayed the same.
CAlex is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 11:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,902
Originally Posted by CAlex View Post
I think it is not a bad sign, because this means Hilton will continue to give the same ammenities to Golds and Diamonds. It's strange to me why spend for Diamond increased 25%, where the number of stays required only went up 7%, by 2 stays/year, and the number of nights stayed the same.
What about the $40K spend for Citi Visa Reserve or AmEx Surpass? I wonder if those will go away, or if the spend requirement will increase. Certainly be nice if a Hilton rep addresses the logic behind these changes; any lurkers around?
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 11:53 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,688
Disappointed to see these increases - especially given they seem to give out Gold and Diamond like sweeties to US credit card holders, but offer nothing comparable for those of us living elsewhere who can only maintain status the hard way! Perhaps if they stopped handing it out so freely to CC holders they wouldn't have had to increase the requirements??
EDIflyer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 12:13 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,902
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson View Post
Disappointed to see these increases - especially given they seem to give out Gold and Diamond like sweeties to US credit card holders, but offer nothing comparable for those of us living elsewhere who can only maintain status the hard way! Perhaps if they stopped handing it out so freely to CC holders they wouldn't have had to increase the requirements??
Perhaps. Does't UK law prohibit these types of perks on UK issued credit cards? Seems that Hilton would want to extend same CC perks if it were up to them, no?
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 12:21 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,688
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Perhaps. Does't UK law prohibit these types of perks on UK issued credit cards? Seems that Hilton would want to extend same CC perks if it were up to them, no?
Nope there's no such restriction - indeed the Amex Platinum offers status with some hotels (although only a year of HHonors Gold, not recurring) - however it's a pretty small number of cardholders (given it costs 450/year) so nothing like the impact of the cards in the USA. I suspect it's more just the competition between card providers in the States is different - see the new Club Carlson one offering recurrent last night free on redemptions, or the mammoth 100k Avios sign-up bonus - all much better than what's on offer here. In different markets they have to do different things to compete, I just find it a bit annoying how easy it is to potentially get the status through a credit card when that avenue isn't open to me!
EDIflyer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 12:27 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,902
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson View Post
Nope there's no such restriction - indeed the Amex Platinum offers status with some hotels (although only a year of HHonors Gold, not recurring) - however it's a pretty small number of cardholders (given it costs 450/year) so nothing like the impact of the cards in the USA. I suspect it's more just the competition between card providers in the States is different - see the new Club Carlson one offering recurrent last night free on redemptions, or the mammoth 100k Avios sign-up bonus - all much better than what's on offer here. In different markets they have to do different things to compete, I just find it a bit annoying how easy it is to potentially get the status through a credit card when that avenue isn't open to me!
Indeed. Too bad Hilton doesn't place pressure on the CC card companies to mirror US perks. Never seen Discover card in the mix, maybe not that widely accepted to be worth partnering with. Perhaps Hilton will one day roll out a program similar to the IHG Ambassador program.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 12:42 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MAN
Programs: F
Posts: 2,895
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Perhaps. Does't UK law prohibit these types of perks on UK issued credit cards? Seems that Hilton would want to extend same CC perks if it were up to them, no?
UK Hilton credit card - free Silver, or Gold if you spend 10,000 per year.

https://www.hhonorscard.co.uk/Hilton...e/Welcome.aspx
redshift27 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 12, 12:45 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson View Post
Perhaps if they stopped handing it out so freely to CC holders they wouldn't have had to increase the requirements??
What's the logic in that, really? Do you think that Hilton is going to run out of free continental breakfasts, bottled water, or points?
3Cforme is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: