Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q3 2012 promo officially announced: 3x points Fri-Sun, 2x points Mon-Thu Jul 1-Sep 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q3 2012 promo officially announced: 3x points Fri-Sun, 2x points Mon-Thu Jul 1-Sep 30

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld
The whining here boggles my mind. It wasn't all that long ago that most promos were targeted and many of us had to arm ourselves with specific promo codes, call or email to plead our case, and try to get registered, sometimes retroactively. We now get regular quarterly promos, available to all members, with much less fuss and bother (with the exception of the aggravating opt-outs). Some promos work better than others, dependent on your travel patterns, but on a macro level the HH promo scene is, IMO, much better than in previous years.
haha, wow. this is a very valid point. when i started getting into this in like 2007 i remember all the hoops i had to jump through to get a double point promo that i wasn't originally "targeted" for. god that was a nightmare, and extrememly aggervating.

gues i've gotten spoiled recently, but you are definately right, its waaay better then it was 5 years ago
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
The London Olympics are on for two weeks. The rates & availability in London hotels reflect this plus maybe a couple of days either side. This promo is for 13 weeks not two.
And Q3 is high season for London tourism. Some tourist destinations are starting to come back from the recession - although that may change quickly given events of this week, that is the status when the opt-out decision had to be made. Hotels look at their advance bookings, extrapolate their projected occupancy levels, and decide whether to opt out or not. While spectators might just be at the Olympics for a couple of weeks, many people have to go early and stay after to perform their jobs - broadcasters, team officials, etc. In addition, somebody who is just going for tourism will avoid the times around the Olympics, so London should see three months of tourism in two months.

Not in response to the member quoted above, but just in general:
What many here do not seem to understand is that Hilton does not own hotels, they manage hotels that are owned by others. Some competing chains own the hotels in that chain, and when they have a promo all those hotels participate, because headquarters makes that decision. Hilton has to extend the opt-out opportunity to each hotel in its chain, because their contract with the hotel requires it. A hotel owner is not going to sign a contract that requires him to participate in any unspecified promo that Hilton comes up with. If you can't live with that, perhaps another chain would better suit your needs.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Not much of a promo. I was hoping for "Ask Nice at the Desk, Get 1 Night Free"
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i guess this is as good as it gets with hilton for now....

anyways, bonus points are always welcome....it just seems like the list of non-participating properties gets longer every quarter....luckily for me all my hilton stays in the quarter are not in the us or uk which seems to have the longest list....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:23 am

It's better than nothing. I'm frustrated that one of my favorite hotels again isn't participating, but I guess they don't miss my business.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
There were more than 170 new hotels that opted out of the promotion this quarter that had not opted out of any promotion in the last 2 years, overall more than 500 hotels total. Hard to beat up on the 13 hotels in London new to the list, but what about all the others?

A spreadsheet can be found in:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...romotions.html

And of course one of my favorite places (Embassy Suites -- Denver Airport) has opted out for at least the 6th straight time and given the current promotion if I have a stay of more than a night I will stay somewhere else.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Take a look at my post on The Points Guy for an interesting quirk to this promotion:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/maxi...rip-promotion/

I'd love to get your thoughts on the possible "loophole" I point out and hear whether any of you will be hurt (or harmed) by the way Hilton is calculating the bonuses.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deemus7
I'd love to get your thoughts on the possible "loophole" I point out and hear whether any of you will be hurt (or harmed) by the way Hilton is calculating the bonuses.
Almost always, the hotels I stay at have lower weekend rates. So I will benefit from the calculation method.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Almost always, the hotels I stay at have lower weekend rates. So I will benefit from the calculation method.
same here....almost all my stays (maybe all) have a lower weekend rate....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Link?

Is anyone going to post a link to sign up?

Some of us have not received anything yet.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by CIT85
Is anyone going to post a link to sign up?
why you don't use the link posted in the first post?

Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The exclusion list is rediculous. I will avoid these properties as usual...
Originally Posted by nicholasashaw
Got to be the worst promo for years - would be easier to list the hotel participating !
The opt-out list is absurd. Hilton can't possibly call this a systemwide promo with a straight face. There will be a dramatic number of people who sign up for this thing, don't bother to scan the opt-out list, then just get mad when no bonus materializes. Effect will be worse than no promo at all for those people.

If Hilton has so little sway with its own operators that 500+ of them can duck out of a major promo, they should design a promo that isn't rejected by one in seven properties worldwide.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: QR Plat, EK Plat, EY Plat, HH Diamond
Some really greedy people in here. How can you expect every next promo to be better and better? Where should it end? 10x bonus points?? When will you be satisfied?

Though I feel sorry for everyone with US stays due to the opt outs.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Starwood Gold, Carllson Gold
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
The London Olympics are on for two weeks. The rates & availability in London hotels reflect this plus maybe a couple of days either side. This promo is for 13 weeks not two.

What about the Paralympics that stretch from 29th to Aug 9th Sept so when you add a couple of weeks either side of these dates you get mid july to mid Sept ......most of Q3. I guess a hotel can either join a promotion or not, they cannot join for a couple of weeks or the period. Its a bit like being "nearly" pregnant, you are or you are not
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Paddeng
What about the Paralympics that stretch from 29th to Aug 9th Sept so when you add a couple of weeks either side of these dates you get mid july to mid Sept ......most of Q3. I guess a hotel can either join a promotion or not, they cannot join for a couple of weeks or the period. Its a bit like being "nearly" pregnant, you are or you are not
The rates during the para Olympics are the same as normal for the Hiltons in London. There also looks to be fairly good availability. Unlike the normal Olympics.

I dont really understand you're analogy about been pregnant?. Of course they could opt out for a couple of weeks. Am sure they could add some small print stating that promotion didnt apply during certain dates in the London area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.