Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Coventry {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Coventry {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
No surprise at all to me based on my previous experiences of the hotel. I ditched this place after a few too poor stays too many. The DT at the Ricoh or the Crowne Plaza Solihul gets our business now when we are staying in the area. Haven't looked back since.

Sorry to hear about the stay none the less Skimanant. Sounds pretty poor all round.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
No reply/ acknowledgement from GM as yet.

I must say two big positives. 1. Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries which are lovely. 2. When Beverley is on the front desk, things work.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Totally agree about Beverley. Justine on the front desk is a star too.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Is Justine the lady with the reddish hair? She is great.

How have your stays faired so far?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:28 pm

Back the weekend, had to really. Commitments close by.

It's showing an upgrade to a deluxe.... getting excited!

Last edited by Skimanant; Mar 23, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I stayed here with my wife on Thursday night.

Check-in: As diamond I was upgraded to a deluxe room, but was denied a suite despite those being shown as available on the Hilton app for that night. I was surprised that I didn't get any sort of diamond freebie, e.g. free drinks, which I have received at every other UK Hilton and DT property that didn't have a lounge. The receptionist told me the property chose to implement the minimum Hilton standard. So, not much of an incentive for me to return then.

Room: A nice deluxe room and bathroom, but there is no way that was a kingsized bed. It was also quite hard compared with other Hilton and DTs I have stayed in. I did like the funky circular shower head (Methven Aio Aurajet). The room overlooked the entrance rather than the motorway, so it was nice and quiet. The heating was efficient and quiet. Toiletries, robes, towels, etc. were all good. But I simply couldn't get over the tiny bed.

Food: As there is absolutely nothing in the local area - the hotel is at the far side of a large industrial estate - we chose to eat in the bar. We were pleasantly surprised. Breakfast was less of a success. I asked for poached eggs, only to be told they are on the buffet. To my horror they were indeed - a large tray of hot water with a solitary poached egg floating in it. I asked the guy behind the counter to cook me two fresh ones, which he happily did. The other hot buffet items were stone cold and inedible. Other stuff though - pastries, cereals, fruits, cheese & cold meats were all OK.

Checkout: Given that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere I was dumfounded when the presented me with a £5 charge for parking. After pointing out my objection the charge was quickly removed.

TBH I wasn't overly impressed with the place and will be unlikely to return.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by navelfluff
I stayed here with my wife on Thursday night.

Check-in: As diamond I was upgraded to a deluxe room, but was denied a suite despite those being shown as available on the Hilton app for that night. I was surprised that I didn't get any sort of diamond freebie, e.g. free drinks, which I have received at every other UK Hilton and DT property that didn't have a lounge. The receptionist told me the property chose to implement the minimum Hilton standard. So, not much of an incentive for me to return then.

Room: A nice deluxe room and bathroom, but there is no way that was a kingsized bed. It was also quite hard compared with other Hilton and DTs I have stayed in. I did like the funky circular shower head (Methven Aio Aurajet). The room overlooked the entrance rather than the motorway, so it was nice and quiet. The heating was efficient and quiet. Toiletries, robes, towels, etc. were all good. But I simply couldn't get over the tiny bed.

Food: As there is absolutely nothing in the local area - the hotel is at the far side of a large industrial estate - we chose to eat in the bar. We were pleasantly surprised. Breakfast was less of a success. I asked for poached eggs, only to be told they are on the buffet. To my horror they were indeed - a large tray of hot water with a solitary poached egg floating in it. I asked the guy behind the counter to cook me two fresh ones, which he happily did. The other hot buffet items were stone cold and inedible. Other stuff though - pastries, cereals, fruits, cheese & cold meats were all OK.

Checkout: Given that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere I was dumfounded when the presented me with a £5 charge for parking. After pointing out my objection the charge was quickly removed.

TBH I wasn't overly impressed with the place and will be unlikely to return.
oh dear that's not good!.....I had a so so stay here a few years back, they put me nex to a broom cupboard with staff in and out all night!.....I'm sure there is a few restaurant across the road though, nandos, taybarns and KFC?.
i have noticed it's cheap sometimes but then so is the metropole and Ricoh area Hilton's.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

Just checked in. No upgrade or basically anything, did get bottled water, they have run out of cookies. Am trying to get through to reception but not answering at mo. The rate was good, but for a little more a night you get a lot more at other nearby brand hotels.

Update- reception tell me they have been told to implement minimum brand standards. I reminded them this included a 1 category upgrade.......

Last edited by Skimanant; Oct 18, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:39 pm

Interestingly wowcher currently have an offer here. £89 for 2 nights for 2, including bfast, a 2 course evening meal for 2 and a bottle of prosecco.

I know there would probably be no points, but that is a much better deal than I am getting!!
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
This hotel or the Doubletree Ricoh Arena?

Which is the better option?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
This hotel or the Doubletree Ricoh Arena?

Which is the better option?
Ricoh area is smarter but here has a pool and spa.
If it was me I would choose here.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by wizla
Ricoh area is smarter but here has a pool and spa.
If it was me I would choose here, although I have heard that cars are often getting broken into in the car park.

Thank you. It is for next week, similar price for both.

Just wasn't sure.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Thank you. It is for next week, similar price for both.

Just wasn't sure.
Yeah I just deleted the bit about “ cars getting broken into “ as this was only something I heard somebody say and cannot back this up...... I would still choose here, I did stay once back when it was a Hilton.....it was okay.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Stayed here a couple of weeks back. Pretty poor stay, my first of the year and as Diamond.

I gave them a couple of weeks to respond to my points below, but they haven't bothered.

- No room upgrade, despite the hotel clearly being very low occupancy with every room category available to book on the day.
- No Doubletree Cookie offered on arrival.
- Little to no information given on arrival outside of breakfast times.
- No status recognition whatsoever.
- No bottles of water issued.
- On arrival to the room, the welcome letter stated food could be ordered up to 10pm. On calling to order at 9.30 told the kitchens were closed. When pointing out the 10pm statement on the welcome letter receptions response was “We should really update those...”. No real concern to be found. Had a cup of tea for dinner after a long drive.
- Takeaway breakfast issued at reception in the morning. Poor choices/presentation, and generally just poor all around.
- Creaky as hell bed

I can't help but feel the COVID excuse doesn’t fly for any of my points above, not least now given the status the UK is in. It's a mix of cost cutting exercises and simply a lack of care. The word “hospitality” did not apply to anything experienced during this stay.

I’m lost why if this is really the best the hotel is willing to do they don’t just close until a time they deem it worth their while to provide an acceptable level of service to guests.

Maybe they are better during normal times. Looking up thread doesn't convince me of that much, though!!
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
Oh no... Pitstopping at both the Coventry hotels over the summer.. Might have to rethink based on these reviews and go all retro in Northampton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.