Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Dusseldorf {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Recent stay as Diamond. Not hugely inspiring, but not a disaster either:

- Was upgraded to Executive Room from Standard one day beforehand. Not sure of difference, if any. No sofa, tiny bathroom. Clean but looking a bit tatty in places. Carpet riding up etc. On the plus side, floor was very quiet.
- Zero Diamond recognition at check-in. Doesn't bother me, though. Friendly and helpful check-in staff.
- Specified non-smoking room, but room had aroma of smoke. Too knackered to go back down and get reassigned.
- Welcome gift of two satsumas and some cheapo Xmas chocolates. Don't want to sound ungrateful, but wine would've been nice
- Lounge was decent, some good options like a super-tasty Thai curry, spring rolls, king prawn tapas and salmon. Some of the other food was a bit snide, but generally it was most welcome. Drink offerings were the highlight - excellent local altbier and fruity weissbier for suds fans. Also common-or-garden Becks for the unadventurous. Fridges not replenished when emptied, so ask if you don't see it. Staff were professional.
- Lounge closed for brekkie at weekends. Breakfast on first morning was in a meeting room down the hall, because the main restaurant was full. Not the greatest experience, but food was ok.
- Following morning restaurant was packed. Setup reminds me of a UK Hampton, with a tiny square area for the food. Sharpen those elbows. Being in restaurant was definitely better than being in the meeting room and filling your plate from temporary stalls lining the hotel corridor.

I think I've been spoilt by Asia, but this fell a bit short of what I expected for a stay. Wouldn't go back in a rush, but not the end of the world if I ended up here again. 3/5

Last edited by flyingnomadic; Dec 1, 2013 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We just finished a stay there on Monday.

Upgraded to Executive floor as Diamond. Also able to add Diamond number to the reservation of non-status friends visiting from NL and staying for one night and they received Executive floor and all perks.

Lounge breakfast Friday and Monday, and this was fine as we tend to focus on eggs/bacon/meats for the most part for health reasons. This was intermediate with eggs/bacon/sausage.

The lounge itself was closed for water system refurb from Saturday - Monday, so we used Suite 1230, which was every bit as nice and the lounge.

Full restaurant breakfast on the weekend. Because sunrise is so late, we were having breakfast later than usual, and things were somewhat (but not jam-packed) crowded around 9AM. Omelet station took a whole as there was one person and a lot of people waiting. Take-a-number type system.

The room was fine, but no Diamond welcome other than complimentary water. As it's Germany, I wouldn't have wanted wine anyway, so that worked out.

We had a credit due to some bookkeeping, so we had dinner at Max Restaurant one night. Nice food, but quite overpriced compared to the Aldstadt (a small Killepitsch was EUR 7, for example, rather than about EIR 2.30).

Very easy to take the tram to the Aldstadt from Th.-Huess Bruecke. Walking out to the left of the hotel and through the parking lot, along Uerdinger Str. took about 5 minutes to get there.

Bus from/to the airport was very convenient, although the bus we waited for on the return (SB51 from Th.-Huess Bruecke) was over 20 minutes late when we bailed for the 721 from Nordfriedhof. Tight connection

There seems to be some debate as to distance from the hotel to the airport and the Aldstadt, as to which is closer. So, to quell this, here are the numbers (walking distance, to be consistent)

Hilton->Airport: 4.2 km
Hilton->Aldstadt: 2.6 km

Quite a bit closer to the City Centre. And the tram to the Aldstadt is more convenient (and regular) than the bus to the airport.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am considering this HH for a two nights stay in May, with my wife, to visit Düsseldorf and use it as home basis to visit Cologne too (we will be in DUS with auto).

Is it a good Hilton?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Hotel is very nice. Breakfast is Top!
Bar is modern, not my taste, but nice cocktails.

Walking to Center is 15 minutes and very nice area.

Greetings
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the quick review

I will book it for 2 nights
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
I would say that the walk to the city center is substantially longer than 15 Minutes - more like 30 Minutes or even more to the Altstadt - and I am Düsseldorf born and raised.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Mora
I would say that the walk to the city center is substantially longer than 15 Minutes - more like 30 Minutes or even more to the Altstadt - and I am Düsseldorf born and raised.
+1 This was my only real issue with the property, and it definitely wouldn't be a top pick (loyalty aside) for tourism in Dusseldorf.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by brp
As it's Germany, I wouldn't have wanted wine anyway, so that worked out.
Why not?

Originally Posted by brp
Th.-Huess Bruecke. .
The gentleman's name and therefore the bridge's name is Theodor Heuss. He was the first president of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 am

Does anybody have any experience with the airport shuttle lately?
Read on Tripadvisor that they are not very frequent from the airport to hotel?
Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Does anybody have any experience with the airport shuttle lately?
Read on Tripadvisor that they are not very frequent from the airport to hotel?
Thanks
I had to take a cab to catch a 7:05am flight... I don't think the shuttle started until 6:00am.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I had to take a cab to catch a 7:05am flight... I don't think the shuttle started until 6:00am.
Our BA flight arrives in the afternoon so there might be a shuttle
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I recently stayed here as a client booked a room for me here. I can confidently say I will never stay here again. Tiny room (smelling of onions), small bathroom, soso service, inability to use the a/c as it requires the system for the whole hotel to be turned on, and just no style at all. A terrible option for Dusseldorf. I guess the price of ca €140 was ok, but I'll always choose the IC or Hyatt first for chain hotels, or the Breidenbacher Hof if I want a nice place to stay.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I recently stayed here as a client booked a room for me here. I can confidently say I will never stay here again. Tiny room (smelling of onions), small bathroom, soso service, inability to use the a/c as it requires the system for the whole hotel to be turned on, and just no style at all. A terrible option for Dusseldorf. I guess the price of ca €140 was ok, but I'll always choose the IC or Hyatt first for chain hotels, or the Breidenbacher Hof if I want a nice place to stay.
Unfortunatelly you are right. It is one of the most uninviting Hilton Hotels I know. Location unappealing, ugly architecture, old rooms, poor public areas, service so so, too expensive for what you get. Highlight is the excellent buffet breakfast with choices over average and the service there, only happiness I am looking foward when I stay here. No EL access upgrade for Gold VIPs even if you have stayed several times there.

The hotel is ok for conferences or Düsseldorf Messe (exhibition). I use it for business stays when arriving late and leaving early and having meetings in the nearby Ruhr region (an area like one single city with 5,1 Mio. inhabitants) where Hilton is not able to have a hotel (Dortmund rebranded as Radisson blu some years ago). Tourists should prefer a city hotel such as IC Königsallee or if they want to discover nearby Cologne also, better stay at Hilton Cologne which is perfectly located in the centre of Cologne at Dome and has a stylish "ice-bar".

Sorry to say this. Hilton should consider to upgrade some old Hiltons in Germany or leave it and replace it by new Hamptons or Hilton Garden Inns if they see no future any more with the Full Service hotel concept.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
Unfortunatelly you are right. It is one of the most uninviting Hilton Hotels I know. Location unappealing, ugly architecture, old rooms, poor public areas, service so so, too expensive for what you get. Highlight is the excellent buffet breakfast with choices over average and the service there, only happiness I am looking foward when I stay here. No EL access upgrade for Gold VIPs even if you have stayed several times there.

The hotel is ok for conferences or Düsseldorf Messe (exhibition). I use it for business stays when arriving late and leaving early and having meetings in the nearby Ruhr region (an area like one single city with 5,1 Mio. inhabitants) where Hilton is not able to have a hotel (Dortmund rebranded as Radisson blu some years ago). Tourists should prefer a city hotel such as IC Königsallee or if they want to discover nearby Cologne also, better stay at Hilton Cologne which is perfectly located in the centre of Cologne at Dome and has a stylish "ice-bar".

Sorry to say this. Hilton should consider to upgrade some old Hiltons in Germany or leave it and replace it by new Hamptons or Hilton Garden Inns if they see no future any more with the Full Service hotel concept.
Sadly I also agreed that this is not a very attractive hotel.
My biggest issue with this hotel is the small bathroom...I have not seen the standard room, but the Deluxe room that I stayed had the smallest Hilton bathroom I ever seen...

Gold/Diamond get full breakfast and it is quite good, but Hiltons in Germany usually do provide nice breakfast.

I found the members of staff very friendly though and I was treated nicely. However, I am not a fan of this hotel and IC DUS is usually my choice in this city.

I have not stayed at Hilton Cologne, but the Hilton Bonn is also a nice property in the area, especially with the refurbished rooms.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
My last stay there has been in 2014. I seem to be in contrast to all fellow FTers here: I do like the property. Architecture is not smashing, but the loction is not that bad. The tram connection (public bus to airport) is quite convenient. If a central location counts, then this hotel is out of competition. Sure. However, the hotel is not too far from the city center, next to a friendly urban neighbourhood and quite close to the river Rhine.
(Small bathrooms apply to the Hilton Vienna (Stadtpark), too and I am surprised nobody finds it annoying there.)
I chose this hotel for several years as a base for short visits in the area. I would confirm staff's politeness, I was given a more spacious room on the top floor as a Diamond, I enjoyed the EL offerings and I enjoyed breakfast every time.
Maybe things have changed meanwhile and my good impressions are just history by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.