Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Gdansk {POL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:06 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Now staying here. On check-in we received voucher for 200 PLN, €47 (”as we were not able to upgrade you and since there is no lounge”), there was a bottle of red wine in the room, and we did actually receive a nice corner room. Very happy with this hotel.

At the breakfast Golds and Diamonds have a separate room now. Maybe 12 tables, in addition to us there were three people.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Anymore recent stays here ?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 3:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good hard product, service-wise not as good

Hilton Gdansk

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton Gdansk

Targ Rybny 1 Gdansk, PL 80-838

Good hard product, service-wise not as good (23 Photos)

Hilton Gdansk

As there was 2 Hilton group properties in this city, I decided to break my stay and spent 2 nights at this property - mainly because of the location and was planning to use the pool/spa.  This looks like one of the 3 full service and on the higher end hotel in the city (the other is the Brovania Boutique Hotel (hotel for football star spotting from the look of it)  and the Radisson).

IMG_20211205_101931199_HDR.jpg

The property is located at the edge of the old city next to the river.  There's the old historical Swan Tower (which used to be part of the defense wall of the city).  Around the hotel there's lots of eateries and pubs.  The Second World war museum is quite close to this property.  For other tourist attractions, it slightly further compared to the Hampton.   

For public transportation, it is about 15 mins walk to the nearest bus/tram stop and 20 mins to the main train station. 

IMG_20211205_101849782_HDR.jpg

Check In

I had been monitoring the Hilton app if there would be any upgrades and sadly, I did not see any even on the day of check-in.  However as usual, since these days no matter with or without digital-key availability, dropping by the front desk is necessary due to the pandemic.  Mask wearing is compulsory within the public area of the property (and they do provide it if you don't have one). 

I arrived after 1600h and there was only 1 person before me, which lead to a few mins wait.  I enquired about the upgrade, and was told that the all rooms, river facing and suites (including the Presidential Suite) was occupied.  Since I had 2 nights, I did ask about the possibility of the 2nd night - which I was told only a riverview room was available - which I agreed upon.  I did have some additional discussion about benefits for Diamond since there's no lounge at this property - and informed of the following 

- a voucher of 50 PLN (no idea why it's so much lower now compared to what I have seen previously from other reviews)

- breakfast 

- I believe an additional 10% discount at the spa

I was not really impressed with this - but what was the thing that put me off was how the agent was trying to sell the above items as already great benefits and furthermore, selling the room that I had with a "wonderful park view room" (in reality the room I had was just facing some green lawn of the road divider).  At this point I did request to speak to a supervisor, (to be clear was not trying to play the status game, but was just so irritated with how the conversation was brough upon me) - was told that they will come back to me.  [And no, I was not trying to be a DYKWIA and that upgrades are based on availability basis]

IMG_20211204_163723818.jpg

IMG_20211204_163728688.jpg

IMG_20211204_163751363.jpg

Room

The 1st room was situation on the 5th floor - overlooking a larger road.  I was initially afraid of the traffic noise - but this proved to be non-existence (maybe since it was a Sunday morning the next day).  Actually the room size was not too bad - although to some extend the furnishing and deco was showing it's age but functional.

IMG_20211204_170355353.jpgIMG_20211204_170418885.jpg

IMG_20211205_085229894.jpg

IMG_20211204_164712495.jpg

IMG_20211204_164718345.jpg

There was a large desk and a small sitting area.  There was tea/coffee making facilities and the minibar was filled up.  They also provided 2 bottles of water for all guests (which i don't think it is replaced - as it was not at the Hampton).  

Internet speed was stable and good - there is a selection between default and a premium one (which had a charge) - there was a small note that internet is complimentary for elite members - which I took to include the Premium one, and I was not charged for it.  The TV seems to have been replaced recently and again, a very nice feature (hopefully this gets rolled out to more hotels) is the ability to stream your device.  (I tried it and it did work, although not all devices seems to work, as I could not get my Chrome via my laptop to stream to it)  Other than that, it was the usual selection of local and international options.  Sleep quality was good - with minimal interior and exterior noise.  (the only irritation was during a short period in the nigh when they closed the fire protection door - which was located just in front of the room - and therefore, whenever guests access the area, the door will slam quite hard which could be heard clearly in the room - luckily it was a minimal disturbance for a few hours)

IMG_20211204_164728460.jpg

Bathroom size was good - there was both a (separate) shower and bathtub.  Amenities were the usual Crabtree&Evelyn.  The shower was good in both temperature and pressure wise.  Good thing too is that there was no water leaking out of the shower area, which is a good and shows good thought into it. 

2nd room:

On my 2nd night - I moved to a riverview room on the 3rd floor.  As mentioned earlier on the escalation during check-in, well, the hotel did manage to make this up satisfactory - by sending up some fruits and a bottle of wine and I was also surprised with an upgrade to a Riverview Suite for my next night (not sure how it became available since I was told it was not at check-in).  

IMG_20211205_155547495.jpg

IMG_20211205_155614462.jpg

For this room, as expected it was large in size with a clear separation of living area and a sleeping area.  The living room area was quite well appointed - although I would have maybe rearranged the position of the sitting arrangement in order to enjoy the view rather focus on the TV and minibar area.  There was also a nice area at the window to sit and take in the view - which they could make it a nice area just by adding a sitting cushion or just a sheepskin throw rug.  

Other than that, there was the usual coffee/tea making facility and the additional bonus of this room is a Nespresso system.  There were also 2 TV's - one in the living and the other in the bedroom.  The working desk was large and functional - with good position of electrical outlets (sufficient in my view around the room).  

The bedroom area was also functional and the bed was like the previous room - comfortable with minimal noise from exterior/interior.

1_IMG_20211205_155555731.jpg

1_IMG_20211205_155601536.jpg

Bathroom size was on the larger side - with double washbasin.  There was also a separate bath and shower area.  The amenities provided in the suite was from the same brand, but in larger bottles.  There was also another guest bathroom at the entrance hall.  

IMG_20211205_155608204.jpg

IMG_20211205_155739535.jpg

View of the room was good - towards the river and the Gdansk sign.  During the evening, it was nice to watch the activities along the riverside especially sitting at the window ledge. 

IMG_20211205_155634380.jpg

IMG_20211205_155703361.jpg

Breakfast

The breakfast was at the hotel's main restaurant - Mercato.  In my opinion, one of the better breakfast spread among the Hilton's in Europe - they had a chocolate fountain and Prosecco.  There was a also a nice area set up for children - which I found very thoughtful. 

IMG_20211205_090341434.jpg

The food quality was good and they did seem to manage to refill items quite fast, especially on busy weekends.  Used plates and utensils were also removed quite well even during the busier weekend (although they do have more staff during the weekends compared to weekdays).  There was also the possibility to do eggs-to order.  Outside of the buffet, they did have some items which were chargable - for example eggs benedict, although prices seems reasonable.

IMG_20211205_085649262.jpg

IMG_20211205_092101778.jpg

IMG_20211205_093626315.jpg

The only main complain here would be the service level from the breakfast crew.  I found it to be quite lacking and seems like none of them (quite unusual) did not really want to be there - none of them really actually had a smile on their face and trying to grab the attention of them was quite difficult - you had to really walk up to them to pass on your request, as they seem to avoid as much eye contact with tables.  And when they have not much to do, they would be talking among themselves.  Also, I found out only during my 2nd day that there was a sort of reserved area for Elite members - at a much nicer sitting area with a view - but this was never really proposed on any of the mornings to us (although I did see for some guests they did direct them to the area - so I have no idea how it worked).    The detail to attention also seemed to lack when ordering items - for example one morning I ordered the Polish Pancakes which should have come with whipped cream and fruit compote (as described in the menu), but it came out just as 2 pieces of pancakes on a plate.  

Bar

The voucher that was provided as a compensation of not having a lounge was used at the Mercato bar of the hotel (I had wanted to use this at the High Five Rooftop bar) but for some unknown reasons, it was closed on the Sunday night.  In general service here was much better, however prices where also slightly on the higher side compared to the outside bars.  The selection here was ok and quite usual for a bar.  For the 2 drinks (a glass of wine and a cocktail) I had, sadly this was not even sufficient to be covered by the voucher.  Also seems that the system is not really designed to work efficiently when a voucher is applied - as it took some effort at least when I had to pay - seems like some manual intervention was needed.  Anyway, the bar area had a nice atmosphere with a nice view of the river.

Pool

The pool area is located at the top of the hotel in an enclosed area.  From the photos, it looks quite big, but in reality it is actually on a smaller side.  It did get quite busy during the weekend with lots of families - so for a quieter time, it might be good to plan the visit properly.  I do wonder during the summer period, how is this handled.  Water temperature was good. 

Service

As for service, this is the part that I would say at least during my stay was quite a let down.  Room service from what I understood is also an on-demand service.  Other than that, I see so many possibility for hotel team to be more pro-active in this area, but it seems that if you don't say anything, it is basically just live with it.  

Also during my last day, just as luck would be for me, as I started a conference call, they did a fire drill at the property (I can tell you, even if you're someone that sleeps like a log, you'll get woken up).  I can understand this - however what I found strange was after every thing was over and I had to actually go get my key reactivated (as it was over noon) no mention of the drill nor any apologies.  I would have expected that even in such "surprising" drill, after it's done, they would bring it up and apologize for the incovenience.  

Overall

All in all, this stay was a mix bag of good things and failure.  Maybe my expectation was too high going into this stay which lead to especially what I see failure upon failure from the service point -  In the welcome letter, there's a mention of how they appreciate Elite guests - but from action point it seems to be otherwise.

I am not sure if it was just unlucky that in my case from soft product/service point it was just dissapointment upon dissapointment.  If I would return to this property - I would not say no, but to recommend it is also difficult (especially considering that I paid close to double what I paid for the Hampton and experiencing so many service failure) since the hard product was quite solid.  Therefore I would conclude for now - select either of the property based on value and depending on view, location and expectation aspect.  

Good hard product, service-wise not as good

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Gdansk?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Stayed here for one night last week. Great location as many have said. Got an upgrade to a corner room on the 5th floor. During check-in, I was told it was the only room with glass windows with nice views although I didn´t quite understand what he meant by that. We were eager to see the room and saw that there was a stair. When I went up, there was 360 degrees view of the city! Also, we got 50 PLN voucher which we used in the rooftop bar. Breakfast selection was very good. For 30K points, it was definitely worth it.

Room 506

Fantastic views of the Old Town from the room.

Made to order waffles with whipped cream and fruits

Last edited by thefilipinotraveler; Aug 7, 2022 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Is this hotel worth a 50% price premium compared to the Hampton in the Old Town?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Is this hotel worth a 50% price premium compared to the Hampton in the Old Town?
In my opinion no - but it really depends on what you find important for your stay and your status as a HHonors member. 20-30% higher might still be acceptable based on the benefits as a full service hotel for your stay.

Cheers!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Micro review

Staying here now & writing based on experience so far.

checkin
I will agree with other reviewers that the check-in experience isn’t great. I will go to the extend that when compared Eastern European/ European hotels, it’s sub-par.

I checked in around 3pm and the room had been pre-upgraded to one level up from what I booked. I had noticed that the standard suite is available through out my stay and I enquired about possibility & was told that suite is NOT possible because “Hilton policy only allows 2 category upgrade from the original room type”. The suite is however available as a paid upgrade.
That rubbed me off very badly as he was making rules out of thin air. I pulled my phone and made the check-in agent read the policy which clearly states diamonds are allowed upgrade upto standard suites.

The check-in agent then mumbled & excused to check with supervisor ; came back after few mins saying it’s beyond his wheelhouse & max he can do is river view room. I wasn’t in the mood to pursue it further and we were handed the keys & an envelope containing a generic printed letter & 10% discount voucher for spa / restaurant and a 50PLN credit voucher (in lieu of the lounge).

Room & Hotel Amenities

Functional great room with decent bed & view of the river, Ferris wheel & Gdansk sign. Room was well maintained & furnishing are intact. Nothing to write home about and definitely no complaints. The shower just had the shower head (no waterfall showerhead) and the water pressure was good. Standard Crabtree amenities & everything else that you expect from Hilton.

breakfast
I think this is where the hotel shines - the breakfast spread was really good and they had separate Gold / Diamond seating area and was told that we can order ala carte from the menu (the menu stated extra 39zlotty per person but the staff told it’s included in diamond benefit).

We ordered Eggs Benedict & Eggs Arlington with salmon. Both were really tasty and generous in portion size. The brekkie buffet included standard items and a mimosa / Prosecco station. The restaurant / buffet staff provided prompt service. Overall the breakfast was really good.

Other amenities

TBD.

Day 2 check-in experience

I had two 1 night reservations. Based on my interaction during check in yesterday, I had assumed that they had factored my multiple stays and that’s why they were reluctant with suite upgrade.

I had planned to go to Gdynia (and had train booked) so after breakfast, I went to front desk to make sure that my keys are programmed for the day. To my surprise, I was told by the staff that I need to pack my stuff and move rooms as the “river view room is sold out” and I will be moved to “superior room” (one category up from my original room). My repeated requests to allow me to maintain my current room wasn’t entertained. I didn’t had my phone handy to cross check inventory so I excused myself and went to my room to fetch my phone.

i noticed that the standard suite is still available; so i went back to front desk and demanded that they 1) either avoid me the hassle of changing rooms OR
2) force me to pack and change but then provide me with standard suite as per diamond upgrade policy.

Manager was called and after some back and forth - the “sold out” riverview room became magically available and my keycards were reprogrammed.

It’s apparent to me that the management isn’t keen on providing tangible room upgrades to diamond elites & that cascades down to front desk staff who echoes what’s being taught / trained. Various experiences here and independent reviews by diamond members in other blogs about the property reinforces this.

comparison with Hampton Inn

having stayed in both in this trip; I agree with poster above that Hilton (being a full service hotel) can be a better deal at upto 30% premium (in $ / points). Anything more than that, I don’t think it’s worth it since there’s only limited suites and management is stingy when it comes to upgrades.

hampton inn (generous with upgrade) despite being limited service is pretty impressive and have better views & central (for a tourist).

Best approach (imho) will be to split your stay across both brands.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Manager was called and after some back and forth - the “sold out” riverview room became magically available and my keycards were reprogrammed.
My experience here mirrors yours. I really like the hotel for its location, and the restaurant is quite nice especially in the summertime when the terrace is open, but they are very stingy when it comes to the Hilton Honors programme. It was also my experience that when you escalate it to the manager on duty, then things suddenly become available. I once struggled to get a late check out with them, when the front desk agent flatly refused citing high occupancy. The manager then arranged for a late checkout (even later than I needed - until 4pm!) with no issue. I don't know if the front desk agents are not empowered to make decisions, but such things do leave a bitter aftertaste, especially when you otherwise really like the hotel.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:55 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If any of you has a status with Radisson, I highly recommend going for the Radisson Blu instead. I always got excellent upgrades there (automatically, without having to beg), parking spot easily reserved even on busy days, late checkout is never an issue and price tends to be better than the Hilton. It's on the opposite side of the river promenade so just as central, but closer to the main street of the old town. The only downside is lack of river views but recently I got a nice room with a window right above Długi Targ, which was pretty nice too.

I was just booking a short stay in Gdansk today and I just can't see a justification to pay extra for Hilton, especially since they'd most likely give me just a standard room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.