Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As far as I am aware, only full suites and accessible rooms have bath tubs (and separate walk in shower). Junior suites are fitted with just a walk in shower similar to regular rooms.

If you look at the typical floor plan [here], it shows only 8 suites per floor, and as this is measured against a total of 533 keys, I'd say if you want a suite you really should be looking at booking one from the outset.

FWIW, I consistently book Queen Exec rooms; the free [in my case, Gold] Hilton HHonors space available upgrade is to a Queen Junior Suite.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Prospero
As far as I am aware, only full suites and accessible rooms have bath tubs (and separate walk in shower). Junior suites are fitted with just a walk in shower similar to regular rooms.

If you look at the typical floor plan [here], it shows only 8 suites per floor, and as this is measured against a total of 533 keys, I'd say if you want a suite you really should be looking at booking one from the outset.

FWIW, I consistently book Queen Exec rooms; the free [in my case, Gold] Hilton HHonors space available upgrade is to a Queen Junior Suite.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll just take what they give me. I've got a free day this time so I will be looking for a canal tour to shake off the jet lag. I know there are plenty on the other side of the station, but is there anything worthwhile nearest the hotel?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Make sure you check out the SkyLounge bar at the top of the DT. Stunning views, especially at night. Quite pricey (Gin Tonic 16 EUR) but it's worth every cent.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:00 pm

I am quite convinced to stay here after all the feedback, especially this:
Originally Posted by Prospero
Executive rooms are equipped with a complimentary mini bar. Deal breaker?
I will be sure to ask for an Executive Room upgrade if it is not offered (I have Gold). Thanks all! ^
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I stayed here last night. Was upgraded to a King City Suite from a king deluxe (at an extra cost of 99 Euros).

It was a room on the 4th floor, very nice. Lots of floor to ceiling windows looking out over the harbour/city. Bathroom was fantastic - separate large tub and powerful shower. Lots of large-sized toiletries and all the accompaniments (toothbrush and razor included.)

Separate bedroom with door. View from the extremely comfortable bed. There's an iMac in the bedroom for tv duties.

Lounge bit has table and 2 chairs, a 2-seater sofa, a big tv with an Apple Mac Mini and Bluetooth keyboard. The mini bar was indeed free - had two bottles of Heineken, a small white wine, diet coke, coke, still and sparkling water, a packet of plain Lays, a Hershey Bar I think that's it!) Coffeee maker and other hot drink supplies, and takeaway cups with lids for you to make your free drink and take it out with you.

There's a Starbucks in the same building that I think is franchised by the Doubletree.

5 minutes walk to Centraal Station, and a great base for taking a wander around the city!

I'd definitely recommend it.

Chris
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
1 nights stay, yesterday(Feb 17). Upgraded to a suite, not sure the name. 1 bedroom, with living room, full bath and shower. Coffee maker and mini fridge(Couple of Beers, sodas, waters, chips.) Mini is a nice touch, but not a deciding factor by any strech. Staff was on point, and addressed issues immediately.....

Great hotel. Nice and modern, super clean. One of the nicer places in Amsterdam, as everything is clean and fresh. Good breakfast downstairs for Diamonds....., not a fan of the apple stuff, as we had multiple problems with keyboards ect.

This is defenitely on my list of places to stay. I also really like the Hilton here as well, but this is right up there, just different styles. My decisions in the future will be driven by price, but this is a GREAT addition to the Hilton family in AMS.

Highly recommended!

Last edited by shawntobi; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I have been watching the Hilton discount code thread closely for a chance to book a cheap room at the DT Ams. Whenc I went into the HIlton web site today to try out some codes I was gobsmaked to fid that the cheapest room at the non-refund published rate had dropped by almost 50% to 89 Euros per night -mid week. ^

At this now affordable rate for a pensioner, I immediately booked 2 rooms for my party.\

When did this drop in rates occur? was it announced on this forum?

On a second but related subject (might belong in another thread) after I booked two room on my Honors account and CC I recieved two E-mail confirmations with the same confirmation number and no other way of distinguishing. that these were two separate room??

I went into my Honors log-on in the Hiltom Honors web site and it only shows a single reservation with one room. I called the Honors desk and was told that it was actually two rooms in their records and not to worry,

But worry is what I do on vacation and I have no piece of paper confirming that I paid in advance for two rooms.

Not a good way of doing business having to go on trust between myself and a hotel computer that might go-down
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

When did this drop in rates occur? was it announced on this forum?

On a second but related subject (might belong in another thread) after I booked two room on my Honors account and CC I recieved two E-mail confirmations with the same confirmation number and no other way of distinguishing. that these were two separate room??

I went into my Honors log-on in the Hiltom Honors web site and it only shows a single reservation with one room. I called the Honors desk and was told that it was actually two rooms in their records and not to worry,

But worry is what I do on vacation and I have no piece of paper confirming that I paid in advance for two rooms.

Not a good way of doing business having to go on trust between myself and a hotel computer that might go-down
I think, it was technical error. I booked Hilton Rekjawik prepaid room in Januar and received two e-mail. They charged me twice too.
I wrote in hotel and they refund me my second pay in next day.
There is their answer to me:
I am sorry for this misunderstanding.
We received for some reason 2 reservations for the same booking.
I have cancelled one of those bookings and refund to your credit card.
I hope that this has not caused you any harm.
We are looking forward to accommodate you at our hotel and trust that you will enjoy your stay.
I think, you haven't any problem too.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Exec, ANA, HHonours Diamond
Hotel was a pleasant stay with good proximity to transport links.

Synopsis:

Booked a Queen Balcony Room:

08 - 11 March - GBP 414 Total (3 Nights)

Service:

No communication with the hotel before hand and no NOR1 upgrades were shown via the HH site (no green banner to click).

Check in acknowledged HHD status. Did not upgrade or offer an upgrade.

Requested an umbrella on the first day; it was raining. They had no umbrellas - i petioned, was given a small pocket umbrella from lost and found. Later saw a person with a Doubletree Umbrella in Amsterdam, maybe all the umbrellas had been given out...?

Requested a late check out - given 15:30. Requested what was the latest check out available, flight was not until 21:00. was told we could stay later but would incur a charge of 65EUR until 18:00. We declined.

We ate in the restraunts on two occasions, the first evening service was impeccable, staff were very attentive. On the second evening staff were slow and resulted in me finding staff on two occassions.

Value:

The room price was as above, i considered this to be good value for the room and balcony and proximity to transport links.

Sleep quality:

The bed was adequate but problems with the pillos being flat. Temperature control was poor with the room rarely warm - it was zero Celsius outside though. We did not relate either problem to the management team.

Cleanliness:

Overall poor. The carpet was stained - very obviously - see pics. I did not report but management team thought ok to place someone in the room.

We requested sheets to be changed on the bed by placing the card on the bed as directed - the sheets did not appear to be changed. If they had they were exceptionally creased when they had been put on.

The room always smelled very good after cleaning.

As noted was very good. Everywhere was walkable - although we took the tram when it was raining. Hard to say if this location is better than the Hilton in Amsterdam as both are probably equal distance to the middle of the old town.

Rooms:

Other than the staining. The room was satisfactory. Worth noting there is no bath. we were unaware of this upon booking - probably my fault i should have done more research and reading.

Other items of note:

Skylounge was good, views were good, oysters were good. Idea of prices: Oysters (6) and two cocktails was 42Eur.

The room had an ironing board and iron. The minibar is complimentary and refilled daily, contents included; can of Coke, Orangina, crisps, two bottles of Heineken, can of white wine oh and some not very nice chocolate - Hersheys i think.

Would we stay again:

In short, yes.

HHD is clearly poor from my experience and the service and rooms need some 'tweaks' but the location and price will probably influence a return stay. I think we will try the Hilton next time we/I am in Amsterdam.

Conclusion:

Brand loyalty was not recognised on my visit, except for a 3:30 hour extension to the room. Incidently they could have allowed a later check out but chose rather to try and charge, this is the hotels perogative and ultimately affects my judgement of the hotel. I have been balanced and only stated facts in my review, yet resting upon the laurels of good location will only last so long.

Wether hotel patrons are silver, gold, diamond or do not have status with Hilton, the rooms and cleanliness and service need to match their expectations. I hope the hotel improves for future visits.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I have been watching the Hilton discount code thread closely for a chance to book a cheap room at the DT Ams. When I went into the Hilton web site today to try out some codes I was gobsmaked to fid that the cheapest room at the non-refund published rate had dropped by almost 50% to 89 Euros per night -mid week. At this now affordable rate for a pensioner, I immediately booked 2 rooms for my party.

When did this drop in rates occur? Was it announced on this forum?
Just like you, I noticed it yesterday, but I didn't have time to book yet or report on it. The rates are still at this level today, almost all weekday nights (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu) of July and August. I am considering the AAA / AARP rate which is 94 euro, without advanced pay requirement.

Summer is the best time to visit Amsterdam anyway. Two 'famous' museums will have reopend this summer after ten years of renovations, the Rijks and the Stedelijk Museum.

All rooms at the Doubletree CS are equiped with Apple computers, so even older people will know how to operate them.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Just like you, I noticed it yesterday, but I didn't have time to book yet or report on it. The rates are still at this level today, almost all weekday nights (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu) of July and August. I am considering the AAA / AARP rate which is 94 euro, without advanced pay requirement.

Summer is the best time to visit Amsterdam anyway. Two 'famous' museums will have reopend this summer after ten years of renovations, the Rijks and the Stedelijk Museum.

All rooms at the Doubletree CS are equiped with Apple computers, so even older people will know how to operate them.
Rates sube 125 euro for the summer is good!! I paid 90 in Feb.

PS, Im 40's and cant Turn on the Apple stuff. Ie how to turn on the wireless keyboard, there is no switch and I've opereated a few gadgets in my day! A 1 page cheat sheet would be nice for turning things on ect, once its ON....Apple is simple. Actually, this one frustrated me after a long day! This is a very good and clean hotel in Amsterdam

Last edited by shawntobi; Mar 15, 2013 at 9:51 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hey all,

Any chance anyone has a reservations manager email address at the DT AMS? Would love to send them a quick note in advance of my trip.

Many thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:15 pm

Best approach in a case like this: go to Tripadvisor. Find the property. Click on the Traveler Rating "Terrible". Don't read any of the reviews, because these people are all idiots. Just read the replies by the hotel. In most cases you'll find the hotel address in one of those replies. In this case the address you'll find is: [email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks all!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:06 pm
In memoriam

Staying there in Aug with family, pre cruise. Where is best place nearby for an inexpensive breakfast ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.