Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Seeing all the comments about the overflowing lounge, I expected a zoo when I was there Saturday morning. Actually I couldn't find the lounge, and the staff directed me to the restaurant, where a full breakfast buffet was being served. Not too many people at 8:30 AM, and actually a pretty good variety of hot and cold food. It did seem a bit busier around 10, but didn't seem like it was overcrowded. Maybe it's just because it's the weekend, but it did turn out much better than anticipated.
Lounge is beside the bar.

I complained in July about how overcrowded the lounge was and sent an email as well and was told that they were getting a lot of complaints and were looking at either giving gold's a a different breakfast option and no lounge access or diamonds a full breakfast.

Sounds like maybe they put a new policy in place. I'd rather have a full buffet than the lounge, on my last day there I left for the airport early to eat breakfast at the airport lounge instead of their breakfast, that's how bad it was.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:59 am

any updates?

I'll be staying there 2 nights in June. Unfortunately only Silver status.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by mudley
I'll be staying there 2 nights in June. Unfortunately only Silver status.
Four of us will be staying there this month (2 rooms) and am hoping for a recent update too? Gold status.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I just returned from a trip to AMS and also got one of these super tiny rooms. What a disappointment. I had booked a "deluxe" room, paying more than for a standard room, and was told at check-in I had an upgraded room. Great I thought.

My excitement soon ended when I entered the room, barely room for a small bed, and nothing much else. I had to eat room service standing up, as no table.

I didn't even have a floor lamp in the room, it was so dark in the room, I had to work in the bathroom (the only place with any light). Room service was a disgusting microwave meal that has gone sticky and cold. All the fittings in the room are cheap white plastic (looks like a UK Travelodge). Except it costs considerably more. I paid EUR307 for one night, which was a disgrace.

The chair didn't fit the work desk (far too low), and I asked for an adjustable or higher one. I was brought one from somewhere, which had nasty white spots and stains, obvious what they were.

The iron was broken and didn't work, the thermostat didn't work. Actually it was worse than a Travelodge.

The Lounge, as noted, is a waste of space. At 8pm, the coke is locked away, and nothing available apart from water and coffee (no milk).

Breakfast was a zoo and not very nice.

Staff were quite unpleasant.

This is not a premium hotel, the room I has was not fit for business travel use, it is a cheap budget-style hotel in a good location. For Eur100/night it might suit some (although there are much nicer places with character in the town). For EUR300/night, it was a disgrace.
I'm arriving in a few weeks and hope I don't get one of these super tiny rooms! Will be such a shame
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Haven't stayed at this property since December; New Years Eve (we had an event at this property, so decided to use this as a NYE place to crash.... anyone who knows Amsterdam knows what an insane scene it is on NYE).

Had (many) relatives staying at this property for close to a week. Suites (full one-bedroom) are small, but decent for two people. I visited the lounge a few times, and while crowded did not find it particularly awful. I will say, that the breakfast buffet is much nicer than the lounge spread; but the lounge spread is adequate though below average by European standards. (another perk, is that you can access the Starbucks without going outside, just continue through the restaurant until you come to some doors and you'll have direct Starbucks access!)

Another cool tip, IMO, is to request a room on the top floor (11th floor); as you'll have direct access to the SkyLounge. This is one of the best views of Amsterdam, and one of my favourite bars. I know the 11th floor also has some junior suites for upgrade, since one of our guests was upgraded to a junior suite (Hilton HHonors) on the 11th floor.

Remember, this hotel has two very different views. Some rooms have amazing views of Amsterdam, other rooms have "amazing views" of the train tracks behind the hotel and the harbour. Now, if you enjoy "train-spotting," perhaps, you might prefer to watch the trains arriving/departing Centraal all day (and night). So, definitely be aware when you are choosing and requesting a room. Some of the rooms also have small balconies and terraces, and there are corner rooms with a piece of both views.

Now, I am a bit biased, since our our room rate was quite a bit below €150 and did include full breakfast + executive lounge upgrade for all of our guests. This property does run sales/promotions and I do consider it a rather good bargain if you can pick up a room sub-€175.

Once this hotel trends in the upper €300s to €400s; there are much better properties to stay at, which will give you a better experience. Yes, you'll have to deal with NOT earning points; but sometimes, life is more than just earning miles+points on hotel stays.

Two other area points :

My favourite fine dining restaurant in Amsterdam is right next door, Samhoud|Places , they also have a more casual "street food" version on the main floor. Not to be missed. Chef and tasting menu are genius.

The Chinese boat on the canal, across from the hotel (Sea Palace) is much better than you would expect. Yep, it looks very touristy, but it's some of the better Chinese food in town... I mean, if you really want Chinese food in Amsterdam. It is a great place if you have a group of 10+ since they can really accommodate large parties.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Aug 22, 2015 at 2:25 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:39 am
Suspended

Has anyone stayed on the 11th floor recently?

Does the music from the skylounge keep you awake?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JezQuiggley
Has anyone stayed on the 11th floor recently?

Does the music from the skylounge keep you awake?
IIRC, other side of the elevators separated by a small "sky-walk." Shouldn't be an issue at all.

The structure is two separate buildings, that are connected.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
IIRC, other side of the elevators separated by a small "sky-walk." Shouldn't be an issue at all.

The structure is two separate buildings, that are connected.
Thanks.

I was aware of that, just last time I stayed the lounge was *really blasting the music.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:00 am

Thanks.

I was aware of that, just last time I stayed the lounge was *really blasting the music.
I believe the elevator lobby and closed door to the (rooms) hallway is quite a buffer. Perhaps a room at the end of the hallway (furthest from the elevators) would also be safest. I was in one (junior suite, I believe) that was closest to the elevators and it seemed fine. A few friends stayed on the 11th floor last year; and nobody complained.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:33 am
Suspended

I believe the elevator lobby and closed door to the (rooms) hallway is quite a buffer. Perhaps a room at the end of the hallway (furthest from the elevators) would also be safest. I was in one (junior suite, I believe) that was closest to the elevators and it seemed fine. A few friends stayed on the 11th floor last year; and nobody complained.
Super.

Thanks again
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:17 am
Suspended

Well got to Doubletree last night my reserved room was not the room I was given.

Ended up in 7th floor in a room with a broken shower.

No recognition of Gold status whatsoever.

It's so frustrating how different the experience can be compared to other Hilton's.

If it weren't for double points + cashback I would stay elsewhere.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:42 am

Well got to Doubletree last night my reserved room was not the room I was given.

Ended up in 7th floor in a room with a broken shower.

No recognition of Gold status whatsoever.

It's so frustrating how different the experience can be compared to other Hilton's.

If it weren't for double points + cashback I would stay elsewhere.
That is very unfortunate. I must admit, this property does not really "inspire" me. I do like the SkyLounge though. Unless we can get a sub-€150 rate (which is often for friends+family) we tend to book away from this property. As an aside, the Amsterdam Hilton is a pretty lovely property, though the location is totally different. But, I wouldn't call it bad, just much different. (and it tends to be rather expensive, IMHO).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:13 am
Suspended

That is very unfortunate. I must admit, this property does not really "inspire" me. I do like the SkyLounge though. Unless we can get a sub-€150 rate (which is often for friends+family) we tend to book away from this property. As an aside, the Amsterdam Hilton is a pretty lovely property, though the location is totally different. But, I wouldn't call it bad, just much different. (and it tends to be rather expensive, IMHO).
The location doesn't work for me.

I normally stay in Radisson Blu but as I have nearly half a million points I am trying to accumulate some other points with other chains.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The location of this property is great and the breakfast is nice. But the rooms are small and the Gold/Diamond recognition is non-existent. Pick your poison.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The location of this property is great and the breakfast is nice. But the rooms are small and the Gold/Diamond recognition is non-existent. Pick your poison.
I thought the diamond treatment was great last year when I stayed there. I arrived around 10:30 a.m. and no issue checking in early and the upgraded me to a sky suite (GREAT upgrade) without even asking.

Only big complaint I had was the lounge. At that time all gold's had access to the lounge and it was so overcrowded you had to take food out to the lobby bar tables to sit down and eat and the food offerings were poor and soda was only available during the appetizer time. I complained at check out and also on the TA review about htat and was told they were going to either start denying golds not on the exec floor access and give them a different option for breakfast and/or start giving diamonds a full breakfast. I saw at least one other report that stated diamonds are now getting a full breakfast.

Outside of the lousy breakfast (which looks like it has been corrected) and overcrowded lounge I liked this property and will return if I ever go back to AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.