Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:41 am

Any issues having bags held here? Arriving at 6am, don't expect to get my room that early. Hoping to drop of bags and check out the city until check-in.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Originally Posted by dascc
Any issues having bags held here? Arriving at 6am, don't expect to get my room that early. Hoping to drop of bags and check out the city until check-in.
No issues. I have stayed here twice, both very early arrivals. Once, I was able to access my room early, which was great! The other time, my room was unavailable. They held my bags until my room was available, and even had them in my room waiting for me upon arrival back to the hotel.
dascc likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dascc
Originally Posted by JetSet05
No issues. I have stayed here twice, both very early arrivals. Once, I was able to access my room early, which was great! The other time, my room was unavailable. They held my bags until my room was available, and even had them in my room waiting for me upon arrival back to the hotel.
Agree with no problem. I checked out and was out for work the whole day, then easily able to retrieve luggage & head to the airport. Large secure storage area behind wall by front desk
dascc likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:35 am

Last edited by Leonvomp; Sep 27, 2020 at 12:09 pm Reason: .
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:09 pm

Excellent stay. Fantastic Terrace Suite.

Booked executive suite for 3 nights. Got upgraded to master terrace suite upon check in. Suite and private terrace were very spacious. I was informed that there are only two master terrace suites and that they are not ordinarily included within the category of complimentary upgrades for diamonds. An exception was made in advance as it was my birthday, so millage may vary. Video of suite.

Sanitiser dispensers are everywhere and hotel appears to be very clean. All staff were wearing masks at all times. Due to covid, housekeeping is limited to the replacement of towels and sanitary products. Managed to get them to vacuum and remove trash after night one but no luck on subsequent days.

Hotel is centrally located , only 5 minutes from Amsterdam Central Station, which I found very convenient.

Breakfast must be booked in advance via reception. Tables have a QR code which you scan to get the breakfast menu on your phones web browser. No buffet, everything is a la cart and complimentary for diamond guests. Was also permitted to order food to go (packaged and bagged) without any additional charge.

Executive lounge is closed however diamond members and those who book executive rooms are given a voucher per night for 2 drinks and 2 starters (or small bites) at the Eastwood Beer & Grill restaurant on the ground floor. Reservation must be made at reception in advance.

SkyLounge had a nice atmosphere and was reasonably lively. Lots of Dutch pop and techno music. Reservation must be made in advance.

Requested late checkout of 3pm and was given without a fuss.

Overall excellent stay. Suite was nice, food was quality, staff very polite and attentive. No complaints.

Last edited by Leonvomp; Sep 29, 2020 at 6:18 am
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: HH D
Thanks for the excellent information. With this (for me) being the only Benelux Hilton-property never visited, and with rates this low, I was considering booking a Queen Executive room with Balcony, thinking - if possible - they might give an upgrade to the terrace suite. Guess that's a number of steps to far, so I'll go for a regular view-room.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
...I was considering booking a Queen Executive room with Balcony, thinking - if possible - they might give an upgrade to the terrace suite. Guess that's a number of steps to far, so I'll go for a regular view-room.
You may very well still receive an upgrade to the Exec suite. I enquired about what benefits diamonds get before staying and received a response saying that they always try to give diamonds the highest available room category upon arrival. The 10th floor also had a communal terrace, which was right next to the private terrace of the master suite (separated by shrubs). I didn’t see any guests using it during my entire stay, likely due to lower occupancy.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:50 pm

Great suggestion thanks again. Amsterdam these days is really discouraging tourist visits through their street parking rates, an ever rising local tourist tax, cruise-ship passenger taxes and now also because they managed to get into the European top 10 of Covid-19 infections.

Anyway, here's my suggestion for people visiting the DoubleTree. Two minutes to the east of this hotel is the main branch of the Amsterdam Public Library (O.B.A.), it is open until 10 PM. You probably are aware that some airlines and hotels are offering free electronic downloads of newspapers and magazines through an app called PressReader. You'll get access for one day or maybe a couple of days when you stay or fly with them. Using PressReader you will be able download many major worldwide newspapers in a PDF-like format. For example: nearly every major U.S. newspaper is included (NYTimes excepted). UK newspapers like The Daily Telegraph, Mirror, Express, the Indepenent, Guardian, etc. Also many magazines, worldwide are available.

I don't know if it is because of the "China Virus" (as someone calls it) or for any other reason but, when you connect to OBA's wifi and launch the PressReader App on you smartphone or tablet, you'll get complimentary access to all those newspapers and magazines. Not for just one day, but for a pretty impressive amount of time. Courtesy of O.B.A.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Great suggestion thanks again. Amsterdam these days is really discouraging tourist visits through their street parking rates, an ever rising local tourist tax, cruise-ship passenger taxes and now also because they managed to get into the European top 10 of Covid-19 infections.

Anyway, here's my suggestion for people visiting the DoubleTree. Two minutes to the east of this hotel is the main branch of the Amsterdam Public Library (O.B.A.), it is open until 10 PM. You probably are aware that some airlines and hotels are offering free electronic downloads of newspapers and magazines through an app called PressReader. You'll get access for one day or maybe a couple of days when you stay or fly with them. Using PressReader you will be able download many major worldwide newspapers in a PDF-like format. For example: nearly every major U.S. newspaper is included (NYTimes excepted). UK newspapers like The Daily Telegraph, Mirror, Express, the Indepenent, Guardian, etc. Also many magazines, worldwide are available.

I don't know if it is because of the "China Virus" (as someone calls it) or for any other reason but, when you connect to OBA's wifi and launch the PressReader App on you smartphone or tablet, you'll get complimentary access to all those newspapers and magazines. Not for just one day, but for a pretty impressive amount of time. Courtesy of O.B.A.
Agree with you on the first point, but it seems in pre-virus era, no one was bothered by it and still throng the city packing it to the brim especially from Thursday-Sunday. Although it is through this that the OBA library you mention is able to become a hotspot for the PressReader from the funding from these taxes .
However I did not understand the statement/sentence "I don't know if it is because of the "China Virus" (as someone calls it) or for any other reason but..." - what's the relation to the whole discussion?

Going back to the topic - I too would like to try out this property, although sometimes it is just so difficult when the DT across the water is 1/2 the price even taking into account the extra's you get from this DT from what I read.

Cheers!
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
However I did not understand the statement/sentence "I don't know if it is because of the "China Virus" (as someone calls it) or for any other reason but..." - what's the relation to the whole discussion?
What I meant to says is: maybe it's a temporary thing, to allow people to stay at home as much as they can, without visiting the library. With my own local library I would need to visit the place at least once a week for continuous access. In Amsterdam you'll get many many weeks of access (But I am a regular paid subscriber to PressDisplay so I don't need to visit any library).
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Great suggestion thanks again. Amsterdam these days is really discouraging tourist visits through their street parking rates.
Atleast the cheapest parking garage is situated next to the hotel (altho they quickly went up from 11 to 20 a day parking rate already altho others charge 40 to even 80EUR).

If you make a reservation you can get lucky and even can get it for 5Euro sometimes (up to 15): https://parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl/reserveren/
Sisosig likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:28 pm

That's incredibly cheap, for practicality I think it beats my parking option: drive to Amsterdam North, park for free, away from the river (not available everywhere) and walk for 10-20 minutes towards a free ferry. (Need to complete 10000 steps each day, so not really a problem for me.)

At this moment visitors to any city of the Netherlands should note: all restaurants and bars in the country now need to close their doors by 9PM and each guest needs to have left the premises by 10PM. This measure started yesterday and it'll last at least for three weeks.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:06 am

Good location and good alternatives in current lockdown

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

Oosterdoksstraat 4 Amsterdam, NL 1011 DK

Good location and good alternatives in current lockdown (36 Photos)

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

I had always wanted to try this property out but pre-pandemic I just could not bring myself to pay the asking price.  However at least for me as a consumer, one bright point from current situation some reasonable prices can be found which led to this stay(cation).  I found a very good rate for this property.  This stay was just a day before the Dutch govt, relaxed some of the lockdown rules (eg. letting terraces to open from 12-18h), so lots of alternative in service offerings.

I had a one night stay just before King's Day in the Netherlands (which normally would mean hotels are all packed and filled up even with the ridiculous prices)

IMG_20210426_185015352.jpgIMG_20210426_111527963_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_111342314_HDR.jpg

The property is located about 5-10 mins walk from the main central train station.  (Exit the front side of the station walk to the left).  It should be doable without problems even if hauling/rolling large suitcases.  It is basically already at the doorstep towards the city centre - with the station/transportation hub around the corner.  There's lots of cafes and restaurants within walking distance including quite a famous Chinese restaurant, Jumbo, just opposite the entrance of the hotel.  Other than that, on a nice summer days, there's lots of possibility to hang around the edge of this small habour area.  

Check In

Again I did not bother to do the usual online-checkin using the app since I knew I would have to pass by the front desk for the different verification forms and collect the different information sheets.  A few days before my stay, I did also receive an email from the FD manager on the different procedures and changes.  

As an elite HHonors member, I was proactively upgraded at least a day before when I checked the Hilton app to their King Suite.

On the day itself, I did arrive much earlier than the official check-in time, and I was happy that the room was ready.  (these days I believe the room needs to be at least the day before cleaned and left untouched for the next guest).

Due to not wanting non-guests with reservation entering the hotel, the main entrance was shut and entrance was via the night entrance - only accessible via your key card or hotel employee.  Was greeted warmly on arrival and after the slightly longer check-in due to the all the different registration, etc. I was given the keys to the room.  I have to say tha that the check-in lobby was actually quite spacious and airy for a DT hotel.  Also in the afternoon there was a live DJ music session - one of the more funky-trendy surprise of this property.

IMG_20210426_153544384.jpg

Room

The hotel is divided quite uniquely due to its architecture (by itself quite unique).  The room was located at the corner of one of these divide/glass connector.  From the location, I was suprised that the inteior itself was again very roomy and welcoming.  

IMG_20210426_111030484_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_111013888.jpgIMG_20210426_111010134.jpgIMG_20210426_111004275.jpg

Interior deco was simple - nothing too extravangant - more Scandinavish style - which to me is also fine as it did give quite a nice home environment.  Lots of light in the room due to the ceiling to floor windows (which guests should be careful as it is all to see from the streets).  The view was towards the city centre and the small harbour area.  There were small columns which you can open the windows.  The noise isolation from outside sources were in my opinion sufficient ( you only hear sirens and only if someone shouted very loud).  

IMG_20210426_110823404_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110632571_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110408644_HDR.jpg

The room had a large living room area - divided into the normal sofa area, a small table for dining/working for 2 (which worked out fine with current inroom dining) and at the corner a relaxation chair to wind down and enjoy the view.  

IMG_20210426_110616657.jpgIMG_20210426_110402664_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110340107_HDR.jpg

2 TV's were available on the wall separating the living and bedroom area - one TV on each side.  There was an (empty) minibar and good coffee/tea facilities available.  I was also given 2 (glass) bottles of water - would have been niced if they offered sparking water as an option.  TV offerings was the usual mix of local and international channels.  The climate control (in both living and bedroom) was quite an easy to operate system - though I did not really try it out since the temperature in the room was ok without turning it on.

The bedroom size was ok - just sufficient to move about.  The wardrobe was situated in this room.  Again it was ceiling to floor glass - so make sure to close the curtains unless you want to show it all.  

1_IMG_20210426_110823404_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110818504_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110354622_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110348020_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_110306387.jpg

The bathroom was located at the end of the entrance hall - it had both a bathtub and a walk-in shower.  It was slightly on the smaller side.  For the first time, I saw that it was equipped with the wall mounted body soap and hand soap - although (maybe because it had a bath) still the individually packed amenities.  The water pressure and temperature control was good.

IMG_20210426_110319315.jpgIMG_20210426_110314706.jpg

All in all, the room was well layout and nothing major to find fault on.  There was sufficient electrical outlet points (including one for UK plug styles, but none for USB style).  Internet speed was fast and stable.  There were 3 options to log into the internet, I used only the free option and the one inserting your room number and name - did not really notice any difference in speed.

Elite welcome drink/snack

One advantage of this property compared to the NDSM property is that it looks like elite gets a welcome drink and snack (1 per guest) - which I believe from other experience, normally can be consummed at the SkyLounge (the rooftop bar).  Since this was closed in current lockdown, the snack and drink are the same items you order from the take-out menu and by calling down to room service.  I was happy with this alternative as both items were quite substancial in my opinion - of course the location at the SkyLounge would have been better. 

IMG_20210426_111116788_HDR.jpg

I ordered a cocktail as an option - and to my surprise, the hotel really went out and took creativity to the next level - they had a bartender push around his cart to your room (only limited to the front door) and you could order any of the traditional cocktail. (I had asked to surprise me - aka house cocktail - but sadly not sure if lost in translation or...was asked how i liked my cocktail - ended up with a Mojito.

All in all, was happy with this alternative offering.

IMG_20210426_195946109_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_195940702.jpgIMG_20210426_185704577_HDR.jpg

Breakfast

A breakfast list was provided during check-in - and ordering was done via room service.  The list was quite substancial, however there were limits to what you can order from each different sections.  This was known as your breakfast box - and coffee/tea was directly from the Starbucks (located within the hotel itself) menu.  

Breakfast was delivered within 15-20 mins after calling to order - which was in my opinion very good.  The food delivered was still warm - and well organized on propert plates/dishes (which was sadly not the case at the Hilton the Hague - which I had expected the same type of service).  Quality was good.  There was a small mistake in the order - which they accidentally include a service of American pancake - which turned out to be a nice surprised as it was really delicious, maybe one of the best one I've had.  (I don't really fancy American style pancakes since i find it quite bland even with loads of maple syrup).

I also was surprised with the special King's day pastries that they added making it more festive.

IMG_20210427_094031472_HDR.jpgIMG_20210427_094012005_HDR.jpgIMG_20210427_094005187_HDR.jpg

Overall

All in all, the stay was very good and service level in current times was maintained at a high level.  Only thing is not all the employees at the hotel were Dutch - so there were times that at the initial start of the conversation, especially via the room service, got a bit weird.  

All the different employees that I met or came in contact were friendly and helpful.  

Other than that, I would return to this property and fully recommend this property.  Might even pop by the property in the summer time just to experience the SkyLounge if there's change in lockdown rules by that time.  

There were also on some of the floors some outside balcony where you could have skyline views.

IMG_20210426_190208884_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_190204535_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_190201613.jpgIMG_20210426_190147602_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_190141163_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_190129594_HDR.jpgIMG_20210426_190104775.jpgIMG_20210426_190059353_HDR.jpg

Good location and good alternatives in current lockdown

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 1, 2021, 2:34 am

One another note to add: This was among all the different Hilton hotels in NL that had minimal use of plastics. All the others that I've been to in current times, the among of plastic wastes generated due to current pandemic and the need to show that items are hygienically prepared is quite horrendous. So a really big thumbs up to this property from this aspect - minimizing the use of plastics even in current times with creative and innovative ideas.

Cheers!
Old May 1, 2021, 3:51 am

Very impressive alternatives around the current measures! I’m a big fan of this property, the best ‘Doubletree’ breakfast I’ve ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.