Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
In the historic district:

Doubletree & Embassy Suites... in that order.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:33 pm

Doubletree is the best HHonors hotel in Charleston, SC.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Carnarsie,
True. Ironically, since I fly US so much now, I ought to change it 2 liveonA3XX.

But thanks, all for the suggestions. Have to watch budget there, so it'll probably be the Embassy near the convention center. All of your comments are greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:49 am

My cousin lives in Charleston, in West Ashley. I stayed in a Hampton Inn when I was there and had a nice stay. It's off Hwy 17 a few miles S of downtown in West Ashley. It's a nice area to stay in, a bit more suburban with malls and restaurants around. The hotel is only 2 years old in a wooded area off the road, with a nice elegant lobby. Rooms are pretty nice and the place is very quiet....might be nice for an extended stay.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by liveon777:
Carnarsie,
Have to watch budget there, so it'll probably be the Embassy near the convention center. All of your comments are greatly appreciated!
</font>
If you are going to stay near the airport and bandwidth is important to you, you might also want to check out the HGI. It is just up the street and has free High Speed connectivity in every room. I am not crazy abot the area, but I do like both properties, and recommend both. If I have a lot to do at night I usually stay at the HGI. As a Gold, you should probably get a Breakfast Coupon too.

Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:12 am

Programs: HH, NWA
Charleston, SC

Any suggestions (good or bad)on Hiltons, Hamptons, DoubleTrees etc. in Charleston area? We're thinking of a trip there this summer.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bou hunter:
Any suggestions (good or bad)on Hiltons, Hamptons, DoubleTrees etc. in Charleston area? We're thinking of a trip there this summer.</font>
There have been a few recent threads about Charleston that you can find by doing a search in this forum for that key word.

My advice in a nutshell is to AVOID the Hilton and go with the Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn. The Hilton is one of the worst in the entire nation IMO.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA: MM
I'll be staying at the Double Tree in Charleston a week from Saturday. I'll try to post something after I get back.

FWIW

DLM
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:34 am

Programs: UA: MM
I just spent Saturday night at the Doubletree in the Historic District and was not really impressed. The location is great, but the hotel is showing its age. Our room was rather dark and the walls and carpet were worn. The bathroom was spotless, but small. With the exception of some early TV noise from next door, our room was very quiet. (Speaking of TV, I couldn't find any local channels on the set. I like to watch This Week on Sunday morning, but there was no ABC???)

I did receive 2 breakfast vouchers (I'm Gold) but did not use them as we had an early lunch at Hyman's. (If you don't want to spend a lot of time in line, Sunday morning between 11:30 and 12:30 seems about right.)

The staff gets a mixed review, I asked for a late check-out and they offered 12:30 or a quarter to one. OTOH, they allowed us to leave our car in the car park until we left town around 3:00PM.

Overall, I'd say I didn't get a good value for the money. But, if you really want to be in the heart of the Historic District, this place might fit the bill.

FWIW
DLM

PS, The DT book shows a high-speed internet symbol, but there were no CAT-5 plugs in our room. They might have wireless, but I didn't ask.

[This message has been edited by dmunz (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:14 pm
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
I thought your comments were interesting. When I was at the DT last year, I didn't notice the wear and tear to the rooms but did think it was a standard DT.

Nevertheless, I still think that the DT is a huge improvement over the Hilton Charleston Harbour.

Charleston seems to lack decent options with the big chains altogether.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
bou hunter - I have been staying at the DT for the past couple of weeks as a gold, and will be there for the next few months. it is a nice property with a great location for restaurants, bars, etc. And i have not really seen any wear/tear in the rooms.

d - they do have high speed, but it is wireless. Had some issues at first but has worked fine the last 2 weeks.

Overall, it is a good place with nice folks and a great location if you plan to stay downtown.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:06 am

Programs: HH, NWA
Thanks for the info
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:39 am

I agree with the Doubletree being in a great location but found the courtyard-facing room to be dark and the furniture worn (the carpet & upholstery were very dirty). The breakfast buffet (as Gold) was decent and the staff helpful.

On our most recent stay in Charleston, all the Hiltons were full/rates too high so we tried the Holiday Inn-Historic District (Market & Calhoun, I think). It was about 4 blocks from the DT (almost across the street from the Hampton Inn) and very nice. We were upgraded, without asking, to the exec floor (PC Plat) w/room facing the Battery. Great views of all the church steeples and we could even see the Cooper River and cruise ships! Room was clean & bright w/sitting area and large bathroom. Breakfast buffet coupons, drink coupons and evening snacks in the bar were all good and there is an attractive outdoor pool and courtyard. As much as I search out HH points...this may be our regular choice in Charleston.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:38 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
I stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston/West Ashley all the time.

This place if FABULOUS...!!!
Get room 200/202 300/302 or 400/402.
They are great suites with jacuzzi tubs.

They have excellent rates all the time. They usually post package rates with some historic trips or museum packages.

They will be having hi-speed internet very shortly which will make this - in my opinion - one of the best Hampton Inns in the chain.

PS: I have never booked anything but the lowest priced AAA rate room and have always been bumped to room 200.

They tell me they have the rooms tied to HH names and I should always get it when I book - if available. The one time it wasn't they put me in 400.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avlff:
....... On our most recent stay in Charleston, all the Hiltons were full/rates too high so we tried the Holiday Inn-Historic District (Market & Calhoun, I think). It was about 4 blocks from the DT (almost across the street from the Hampton Inn) and very nice. We were upgraded, without asking, to the exec floor (PC Plat) w/room facing the Battery. Great views of all the church steeples and we could even see the Cooper River and cruise ships! Room was clean & bright w/sitting area and large bathroom. Breakfast buffet coupons, drink coupons and evening snacks in the bar were all good and there is an attractive outdoor pool and courtyard. As much as I search out HH points...this may be our regular choice in Charleston.</font>
I made reservations at this hotel and the Hampton Inn across the street for the Civil War Hunley submarine crew burial in April. Can I get some feedback on this Hampton (Meeting St.)? The review of the Holiday Inn sounds good, but I don't have any status with Priority Club. I'm a gold with Hilton. I need to decide which is the better choice and cancel the other reservation. Regards, Stan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.