FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/131380-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-south-carolina-usa-us-sc.html)

plenow Aug 17, 2001 9:50 am

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in South Carolina, USA {US-SC}

Any comments on the Hampton Inn or the Embassy Suites in the historic district. Or any other properties in the Charleston SC area. Thanks.

Beckles Aug 17, 2001 3:07 pm

The Doubletree has a better location than either the Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn ...

dingo Aug 18, 2001 8:41 pm

I've stayed at the Hilton and the Embassy and have enjoyed both properties. The Embassy is walkable everywhere, plus the breakfast and cocktails. The Hilton requires a car or water taxi ride.

One word: Hyman's for seafood.

srodr Aug 18, 2001 9:12 pm

I stayed at the Doubletree last weekend. It is a very nice property, and pretty cheap (same price as Hampton for Sunday night- $89). I had a 2 room Suite with a window out on a small courtyard.

The location also is very good; right next to the "market", and about 2 blocks from the "main" Bay street area. Parking is $14/day.

Gold Honors members also get the free breakfask buffet(and if you're reading this board and still not a gold member, then you don't deserve a free breakfast)

[This message has been edited by srodr (edited 08-18-2001).]

plenow Aug 20, 2001 11:13 am

Thank you for the responses and suggestions.

sleepytime Aug 24, 2001 8:39 pm

The Hilton at Patriot's Point is somewhat secluded, but has wonderful views of the harbor, and is a fairly new property. It's also closer to the Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, and several seafood restaurants. Be sure to try the "Low Country Grits" for breakfast.

outoftown Aug 25, 2001 9:55 am

I've stayed at the Hilton Patriot's Point. It's near the Yorktown Aircraft Carrier but a good drive away from the Market Square and downtown restaurants. Stay downtown if you can. I received a card from Holiday Inn yesterday advertising $59 ~$139 rates at their 5 properties in the Charleston area. I would highly recommend The Mills House, which I sometimes think is embarrassed at being affiliated with Holiday Inn. The breakfast buffet there is one of the best low country breakfasts I've had. I concur with Hyman's Seafood recommendation also...a great place.

fromYXU Oct 21, 2003 3:44 pm

HGI vs ES in Charleston?

Will be there with extended family for 1 night before heading home early in the morning, so we need to be near the airport. Prices similar, any preferences? What about going into town?

Thanks

DeanKnick Oct 21, 2003 7:01 pm

Both hotels are very nice. North Chas isn't the nicest area, but the hotels are top notch. About a 10 min drive downtown, so there should be plenty for the family to do. My last two trips I have stayed in the HGI because of free high speed bandwidth. If I was on vacation with my family, I would probably lean more towards the ES, as I think there is a bit more to the hotel (lobby, restaurant, bar, etc) and free breakfast. Plat gets me free breakfast at the HGI too, but not sure if that would extend to the family.

Good luck. Chas is a fun place to visit.

Cheers
Dean

dingo Oct 21, 2003 7:06 pm

There is a Hilton across the water as well that is pleasant. You can hop the water taxi to and from the historic part of Charleston. I've stayed at the Embassy as well and it is nice and walkable to the historic area.

liveon777 Dec 10, 2003 5:51 am

Hilton HHonors Properties in Charleston

I am a current Marriott Platinum but there is no convenient property for an upcoming 6 month project in Charleston.
Any recommendations for a Hilton property?
Any thoughts on Hilton matching my status?
I did randomly receive a Gold membership b/c of USAirways FF level, but have not stayed at a Hilton in quite a while.
Anything I should be looking for?

BillMorrow Dec 10, 2003 8:01 am

Have you considered the Renaissance? It's a very nice Marriott property.

If you want to stay in Charleston, I would suggest the Embassy Suites. It's a nice location, but parking is limited and the rooms can be a bit dark. Additionally, there is a nice Embassy Suites near the airport at the convention center. It is actually in North Charleston.

There is a Hilton across the river in Mt Plesant, but I've heard mixed reviews of it; especially regarding upkeep. There's a Doubletre in Charleston and a Garden Inn near the airport, but I don't know anything about them.

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited Dec 10, 2003).]

Canarsie Dec 10, 2003 8:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BillMorrow:
There is a Hilton across the river in Mt Plesant, but I've heard mixed reviews of it; especially regarding upkeep.</font>
That is disappointing to hear.

I was one of the first guests at the Hilton Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina (when Patriots Point was still officially part of its name) when it first opened. It was so new that parts of it were still under construction. It had the potential to be a very nice property.

I have not been back to Charleston since.

cmhua777 Dec 10, 2003 12:45 pm

Yeah, the Hilton there is not too nice, and the upkeep IS the problem. Was there a month ago and although I had a nice view with a patio the room and the bathroom certainly were worn. This hotel would also be a tough place to stay if you were working downtown because of the driving time. It isn't far per se but the slow commute isn't fun. The comments on the ES or the Hampton would give you a closer location to the city.

Canarsie Dec 10, 2003 1:18 pm

To conform to the apparent trend evident in this thread, should BillMorrow and I change our FlyerTalk handles to BillMorrow777 and Canarsie777, respectively?!?