Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
I just booked a room at the Hilton London Tower Bridge and the nor1 (eStandby) upgrade shows Deluxe room and not Executive room. It offers an upgrade to an Executive room for 78 GBP, whereas the rate difference would only have been 55 GBP, had I booked the Executive room directly :-( Maybe I'm just going to crouch under my office desk to start crying.

Hilton Berlin shows Executive room as complimentary HHonors upgrade.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
I partially agree with your comments and I understand you are coming from a US perspective.

I think this is part of the problem. Apart from the new HHonors VISA in the UK it has never been as easy to get Gold/Diamond in Europe without any hotel activity. But Gold's in Europe are probably trying much harder to maintain their status by staying in Hilton hotels which are normally more expensive than in the US and there are fewer of them. We don't have as many of the cheaper brands here whereas in the US. Is there no difference between a Hampton/HGI Diamond and a Hilton Diamond? Or a W-A Diamond? I think there is.

I think I am right in saying there is still no way to get Diamond other than staying many times at a hotel in Europe. (Ignoring the BA Gold GGL and others mail-out, affecting a small number).

Hilton International and HHC were two separate companies until a few years ago, one owned by a betting group and the other the US hotel company, the were joined in name only. Now even though they have been re-united he two still operate vastly different business models and expectations of guests are vastly different.

On the very rare occassions I have stayed with Hilton in the US my expectations are VERY different, lounges are often crowded and sparsely filled with amenities (just like airport lounges). In Europe it's not as bad and the hotels, in general, are often better.

By the way, in many of the newer builds the Executive Floor DOES offer significantly bigger rooms and amenities, such as separate shower, Jacuzzi bath etc. As more and more hotels are built this can/should only get more prevalent.
*shrug* The exact reverse holds true if an American stays at a primarily non-U.S. based brand.

I have about 10,000 Sol Melia points. It's the 6th or 7th largest chain in the world, focusing on Europe and (I think) South America. Anyway, in Europe they have multiple brands and price points ranging from luxury (the one in Seville is excellent ^) to budget.

So I'll hit 'em once a year, earn my points, and maybe score a free night or two. No way I'll ever get status. They have a couple of full-service hotels in the U.S. but no suburban or rural properties that I'm aware of. I just accept that it's a niche program for me, whereas for some Europeans it's their primary-stay chain. Top-tier gets you some sort of butler service that sounds very cool...along with all of the same bonuses we get in the American programs.

People also sometimes forget that the "HGI Diamond" isn't really taking up scarce benefits from "W=A Diamonds". The HGI Diamond's earning rate will be lower and he'll redeem a statistically tiny number of rooms at W=A, leaving the W=A regular at little risk of losing an upgrade. And if the HGI Diamond actually pays for a room at a higher brand, then that's a win-win for Hilton and the guest. I'm sure part of the program is to upsell the suburban guest on the urban properties, the urban guest on the luxury properties, etc.

Could go the other way too: the business traveler who always liked Hilton and Conrad now looks for Hampton when he's roadtripping, whereas before he may have had no preference or knowledge of roadside motel brands.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by DannyDarko
I just booked a room at the Hilton London Tower Bridge and the nor1 (eStandby) upgrade shows Deluxe room and not Executive room. It offers an upgrade to an Executive room for 78 GBP, whereas the rate difference would only have been 55 GBP, had I booked the Executive room directly :-( Maybe I'm just going to crouch under my office desk to start crying.
If you don't get upgraded, just walk into the lounge anyway. It's on the 9th floor and has no access control
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
If you don't get upgraded, just walk into the lounge anyway. It's on the 9th floor and has no access control
The ppl at the EL front desk ask for your name and room # when you walk in to verify that you are supposed to have access.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buaya00
Can you please clarify your statement?
Lame upgrades, welcome gifts small to non-existent, always have to fight to get my required benefits (lounge access/free internet).

Admittedly, it's gotten better since Hilton has made across the board rules about all diamonds getting UG's, lounge access, and internet, but still not as good as Asia.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:32 pm

Stay a few more, advance to P or D, enjoy the perks. Why keep posting and complaining where you are with just a few more stays a year you could move up and score????????
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
If the OP is correct about how hard it is to get Diamond status in the EU then your gold should get you your upgrade. I have notice Diamond in Germany you are treated head over heels better then in the US. Now I know it's because we are rare over there, as opposed to 1 in 3 staying at a Hilton property in the US. By the way what's the latest Diamond count
Do you truly believe that 1 out of 3 folks staying at a U.S. Hilton is a diamond? If so where do you get your facts?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Do you truly believe that 1 out of 3 folks staying at a U.S. Hilton is a diamond? If so where do you get your facts?
LOL, 1/3 is baseless, intuitively. Previous literature suggests 3% of total HHonors members population is diamond, which is much more convincing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10715433-post25.html

It might be true for certain properties during certain time of the year, there are significantly more diamond members showing up, but if 33.3% of all hotel guests in one day are diamond members, I would guess the executive lounge will be the least favorable room in the hotel coz very likely the rest 66.7% hotel guests would be gold members!!!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewende
LOL, 1/3 is baseless, intuitively. Previous literature suggests 3% of total HHonors members population is diamond, which is much more convincing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10715433-post25.html

It might be true for certain properties during certain time of the year, there are significantly more diamond members showing up, but if 33.3% of all hotel guests in one day are diamond members, I would guess the executive lounge will be the least favorable room in the hotel coz very likely the rest 66.7% hotel guests would be gold members!!!
Exactly. I cannot imagine a 900 room property that had 300 diamonds. Impossible.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Exactly. I cannot imagine a 900 room property that had 300 diamonds. Impossible.
Hmm... Worldwide conference of Flyertalkers at Conrad Bangkok, fully sponsored (all expenses covered) by major airlines and hotel chains?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbush
Hmm... Worldwide conference of Flyertalkers at Conrad Bangkok, fully sponsored (all expenses covered) by major airlines and hotel chains?
Are you saying that on those dates that 1/3 of the people there were diamonds?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:11 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Are you saying that on those dates that 1/3 of the people there were diamonds?
I think hbush was imagining this event, as was the invitation.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I think hbush was imagining this event, as was the invitation.
Exactly, it was just an example how to imagine these 300 Diamonds at the same hotel But what a nice PR event that could be... <sigh>.

By the way recently while staying at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, I was told by one of employees that quite often they have some 80% Golds and Diamonds among their guests.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Exactly, it was just an example how to imagine these 300 Diamonds at the same hotel But what a nice PR event that could be... <sigh>.

By the way recently while staying at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, I was told by one of employees that quite often they have some 80% Golds and Diamonds among their guests.
I wouldn't be surprised on that statement, but I think one more information I would like to pry is the ratio between gold and diamond within this 80% elite members.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Would it be a DO or a DYKWIA-O?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.