Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?

Old Jan 22, 12, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M

I was just going through Hilton's updated lounge policy and was quite shocked at the news that access to the Executive Lounge seems not at all so very probable for Golds anymore.

For Americans, this may not be that bad, as they've all got Diamond status anyway because there's a Hampton Inn at every corner to gain status (more than 1,800 properties) and the Executive Lounges in the States do not even come close to those in the rest of the world, Europe especially, but for Europeans this is very hard, because gaining Diamond status with 14 Hilton properties in your country (Germany, in my case), ten or twelve in the surrounding countries and exactly one Hampton Inn on the whole of the continent, loyalty isn't made that easy.

UPDATE (01/25/12)
The new T&Cs make it clear:
"All Hilton HHonors Gold guests will receive the following:
Upgrades to Preferred Rooms..
Gold HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Gold HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors**, as identified by each property.

**If you are a Gold HHonors guest, you and up to one additional registered guest will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits."

Last edited by DannyDarko; Jan 25, 12 at 9:56 am Reason: New T&Cs of HHonors
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:38 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DannyDarko View Post
The new T&Cs say:"If you are an HHonors Gold Member, you'll be given access to the Executive Floor lounge when you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. If an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable, you'll still receive daily complimentary Continental breakfast in lieu of lounge access."
If I'm right, there's nothing new about that. As long as I'm a gold member it has always been like this.

So far I never had a problem to get upgraded to an executive room in germany. Only once at Hilton Frankfurt there was no executive room available and I ended up with just a regular room and breakfast at the restaurant

Hilton treats their gold member pretty well in Germany ... imho
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
I was just going through Hilton's updated lounge policy and was quite shocked at the news that access to the Executive Lounge seems not at all so very probable for Golds anymore.

For Americans, this may not be that bad, as they've all got Diamond status anyway because there's a Hampton Inn at every corner to gain status (more than 1,800 properties) and the Executive Lounges in the States do not even come close to those in the rest of the world, Europe especially, but for Europeans this is very hard, because gaining Diamond status with 14 Hilton properties in your country (Germany, in my case), ten or twelve in the surrounding countries and exactly one Hampton Inn on the whole of the continent, loyalty isn't made that easy.

The new T&Cs say:"If you are an HHonors Gold Member, you'll be given access to the Executive Floor lounge when you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. If an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable, you'll still receive daily complimentary Continental breakfast in lieu of lounge access."

It says: "if an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable", not "if a room on the Executive Floor is unavailable", which seems to implicate for me that you're left to the goodwill of the hotel and that it even wouldn't be of any use to show them on your iPhone that an Executive Room could be booked for the dates of your stay right now. I think I know a number of hotels that are glad about this loophole.

Any other interpretations? Am I exaggerating here?
Hi DannyDarko,

These changes were implemented 2/3 years ago.

When I was HHG only once the hotel had no ER available = no EL access.
Old Jan 22, 12, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The problem isn't as big as the OP suggests. This is because of the mentality of the US v. EUR.

The US mentality is one of egalitarianism, every one is equal. (Even if some are more equal than others ). While in Europe there is a strong class based mentality. I am not saying one is better than the other, but the differences show in things like the EL.

In the US a lot of hiltons do not have an EL, the ones that do tend to keep to minimum standards for the EL. Elites are barely recognized. It has been just as likely as not that I have been thanked for being a Gold member. Maybe it is the hotel being cheap, or a ton of US elites, but I subscribe to the mentality that it is wrong to be special compared to others.

Now in Europe, there is very strong under-current of class. Elites are recognized and treated very well. Having just got back from ARN and the Hilton there, they rolled out the red carpet. Well, no suite upgrade but I was treated very well. This treatment would be exceptional in the US.

I guess what I am trying to say, Gold and the potential EL access that comes with it is easier to get in the US but means considerably less than it does in Europe.
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by olisch View Post
If I'm right, there's nothing new about that. As long as I'm a gold member it has always been like this.

So far I never had a problem to get upgraded to an executive room in germany. Only once at Hilton Frankfurt there was no executive room available and I ended up with just a regular room and breakfast at the restaurant

Hilton treats their gold member pretty well in Germany ... imho
And in Hilton Frankfurt there's no access control to the EL so you can go in anyhow And you wouldn't want to eat the EL breakfast when the main restaurant option is 1000× better.
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Golds haven't had EL access without an executive level room for a while.

But if the rumors are true and suite upgrades will be a part of the program for diamonds/golds then there may be a better chance of golds getting on to the exec level (with diamonds being given the suites). It is possible that golds will see some better benefits as a result.
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:36 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA PLT/1mm
I've qualified HH Diamond for the past 10 straight years and have yet to see any added value to being on the Executive Floor other then proximity to the Executive Lounge which in itself is not much of a benefit as I see it (poor/limited food and drink selections). What do others see that I do not in this benefit?
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's really nothing new here (other than stereotypes about Americans, Hampton Inns and Europeans); the T&Cs have stated that for some time now. But things are looking up - more Hilton garden Inns in Europe, even if not on any corner.

It says: "if an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable", not "if a room on the Executive Floor is unavailable", which seems to implicate for me that you're left to the goodwill of the hotel and that it even wouldn't be of any use to show them on your iPhone that an Executive Room could be booked for the dates of your stay right now. I think I know a number of hotels that are glad about this loophole.

Any other interpretations? Am I exaggerating here?
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Hasn't the rule for Golds always been you only get access when you actually get an Executive Level room and that wording was only added (several years ago as others have already pointed out) when Diamonds were explicitly given access regardless of the room they receive?
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by olisch View Post
No, it wasn't like that until 3-4 years ago when they also explicitly indicated suites are not part of upgrade rooms (gold/diamond).

Anyone remember the 10,000 points for every 4 stays ....
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Was Diamond for a long time, but preferred Marriott in recent years and dropped to Gold. Stayed at the Hilton SFO last week and had a nice room on a high floor, but not the Executive Level. When my key didn't work for the lounge, it never occurred to me that I wasn't entitled. Often mistakes like this happen, so I just went back to front desk and they immediately recoded the key for access. Reading this thread, I now wonder if they made a mistake giving me access or if some hotels still let Golds use the EL.
Old Jan 22, 12, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
No, it wasn't like that until 3-4 years ago
According to this post in 2002, the rules did not guarantee Golds lounge access even then, though the rules back then did allow for the hotel to grant access even if a Gold did not receive an Executive Room.
Old Jan 22, 12, 7:19 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Let me reverse the argument a little bit!!

There is a very nice DT hotel in my area, where i stay on weekends from time to time (it's like 45mins from my town).

The Lounge offers basic breakfast, while the hotel has also an amazing breakfast buffet going for about 35-40$ pp. All the times i have been there, i have NEVER been upgraded to an Executive Room, BUT always at check-in the agent tells me that i can have free breakfast at the Lounge (they have the Lounge open -no key required, plus they don't check who's in).

So, by the letter of the T&Cs, since i don't get an upgrade to the Executive Floor, i should have a free AMAZING breakfast in their restaurant!! But i guess the hotel has left the Lounge open to go around the T&Cs (yes, hotels do that too, not only us.. ).

I have never raised an issue, since the breakfast is complimentary and the basic provisions of the Lounge are enough for me..
Old Jan 22, 12, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
So, by the letter of the T&Cs, since i don't get an upgrade to the Executive Floor, i should have a free AMAZING breakfast in their restaurant!!
Do not assume that entitlement to a (continental) breakfast necessarily means unlimited access to the buffet available for those who pay for it. Some properties can be very stingy with regard to how they define 'continental breakfast' and require a supplement to upgrade to the full buffet. Other properties, however, can be generous and go beyond what they have to and offer full buffet access even for hot items.
Old Jan 24, 12, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
OK, the new T&Cs are out and now the formulation is really scary and seems to corroborate my initial fear that Golds won't get much upgrades to Executive Floors anymore, but only to the next best room category like being upgraded from Garden View to Pool View or if lucky even to an accessible room with the more generous properties (filed under "rooms with special amenities").
Sorry for sounding cynical, I just want to provoke some other opinions.

Here's the wording:

All Hilton HHonors Gold guests will receive the following:
Upgrades to Preferred Rooms..
Gold HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Gold HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors**, as identified by each property.

If you are a Gold HHonors guest, you and up to one additional registered guest will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: