Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking Reservations via Telephone versus Hilton On-line Internet Web Site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 1999, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I always like to book my stays on-line for the convenience and bonus, but the past 2 reservations I have attempted on-line come up with very high rates. A call to HHonors reservations and voila! A lower fare is found.

Tonights example: I went to book my stay for the MSY gathering. Hilton web site showed a rate of $259. So I thought I'd call and see if I could use a hotel cert. No such luck using the cert, but I was quoted a rate of $199. So I booked it and will now send an email to Hilton requesting credit since I was unable to book that rate online.

What are your experiences with this? Does Hilton hold back rates from their web site?

PS - Sheraton finally showing MSY availability for 18-20 Feb. At $319 per night.

Cheers,

'toadh
Old Dec 21, 1999, 12:30 am

I'm sure you know this already, but I will mention it anyway: Whenever I want to book the cheapest possible rate, I make sure to choose the "Promotion" setting at the bottom of the first reservation page. When I don't change it from the default setting (Standard), all that comes up is standard and/or corporate rate. Which setting were you using when trying to book your reservation?

If I use the "Promotion" setting for a weekend date, usually different kinds of rates become available (bounceback, etc.). However, for a weekday stay, the web site usually only shows Corporate and Standard rates. Did the rate difference you found over the phone apply to a weekend or weekday stay?

I would also be really interested in knowing whether there are large discrepancies between phone and web rates (I have a few Hilton stays in the near future).

honu
Old Dec 21, 1999, 7:31 am
Original Poster

It doesn't seem to matter which rate is selected. $259 is the only one that comes up. Maybe my charm and the fact that I am full of wit causes the phone reservation agents to give me a better deal?!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Dec 21, 1999, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I to have found that to get the rates I want I have to call. I can usually find a corporate rate much less than anything I can find on the web. For example, the Hilton in Pittsburgh on the web I coudl only get $169 as the lowest rate, I called and gave my customers name and they quoted me $105. So it definitely pays to call. The much cheaper rate outweighs the 1000 point booking bonus and as a gold my points are racking up quite fast anyway, especially with the UAL nights points.
Old Dec 21, 1999, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
what i like about the hilton website is the different rate options, as honu mentions above. you can play with the system as much a s you like to check availability and how different arrival and departure dates affect the rate.

i will usually hit my browser's back button and try all the rate codes, starting with "bounceback" and "promotions" and, at this time of the year, the ever -popular "hilton for the holidays." (tip: remember that at some resort properties, "bounceback" is available 7 days a week.)

often, different rates come up within the category and the listing shows what amenities are included in each. i usually choose the cheapest rate, knowing that i'll likely be upgraded.

for the thanksgiving holiday, however, i booked online three days before, but during my back and forth action fiddling with the various rate codes, my preferred rate vanished. either they just sold out of that availability or they were managing their inventory as they got closer to the holiday. i was offered a rate $30 higher.

i booked elsewhere but returned to hilton.com a day before my trip and the rate had magically reappeared. so i booked it.
Old Dec 21, 1999, 6:23 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I usually find the Internet rate is lower than the rate I get over the phone. I just booked two nights in Tokyo. The rate over the phone was about $70 US higher than the lowest rate on the Internet (of course, when I told them this they "found" it.) None of it really mattered though because a travel agent in Tokyo got me an even lower rate (by about $30 US) at the same hotel and it included breakfast and tax.
Old Dec 31, 1999, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Hammertoad: Some of us have booked the Sheraton New Orleans for about half the rate you quoted ($508 tax in for three nights) through Starwood Vacations (and 10,000 starpoints to boot!)
Old Jan 11, 2002, 4:22 am

Frustrating - website rates higher than when calling direct

I've seen some posts on this recently but wasn't 100% convinced... until I decided to call just to see...

Was booking Milan for 1 night (paid), website give best rate of E204, Hilton reservations gives E171 for the same room (exact same spec, breakfast included, etc).

I can't quite understand how that works as surely the agent on the phone and the site feed from the same system. Added to the fact that booking online must be to Hilton’s benefit, why would rates be any different? Server refresh rate doesn’t quite explain this – I checked 3 days apart.

Not sure if this is only linked to a particular hotel but very annoying. This sounds like a recurring topic, so rant is over...

[This message has been edited by Canista (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 11, 2002, 5:51 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
The yield management software that the website uses is pretty sophisticated, but nothing replaces human intuition. The on-site person always has a better idea of how bookings are trending, due to environmental issues the computer can not sense.

The other sometimes advantage of calling direct is the ability to negotiate. You can't say to a booking engine, "I really need a better rate, what can you do". My personal booking protocol is to inquire on the Hilton website for a base rate to start verbal negotiations with. On occasion though I've had to return to the website, because their rates are better then what the clerk at the property is willing to offer.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 11, 2002, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Last week I got a better rate by booking through 1-800-HHONORS than I could get online. I tried a variety of sites and approaches to get the best rate (non-Priceline, that is) on the net, but in this instance I did better by going through central reservations. Go figure. (And yes, I got a confirmation. Good to have it in writing.)
Old Jan 11, 2002, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many rates are not available online or elsewhere and one must telephone Hilton CR to book these. And you must keep asking some of the non-nicer (ie dumber) CR people for the lowest of the lowest rates.

MisterNice
Old Jan 11, 2002, 4:54 pm

I had a similar problem today. I need to stay at the Boston Logan Airport Hilton and leave my car there while I travel. The HHonors rep assured me that what they had on their system was available on-line. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. In the meantime, I saw rates from $87 to $159 for the same room. The $159 rate was frequently under "Best Available Rate".

I ended up calling back HHonors back again. I didn't get the 1000 point online booking bonus but I did get my room and parking.

[This message has been edited by techlady (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 12, 2002, 3:54 am

Thanks for the comments - I am very much aware of the yield management software in place at Hilton and other companies, this wasn't my point.

In terms of cost of acquisition (of a booking), it's cheaper for Hilton if booked direct online, a bit more expensive via phone and yet a bit more expensive via travel agent, etc... (putting aside the deeply discounted rates available either direct from the hotel or via some web suppliers).

So in terms of reducing costs and maintaining margin, it would make sense to promote direct web bookings on www.hilton.com. To do this, clients must be convinced this is the best way to get the most relevant deal - yet clearly experience tells us different. I think this is a pity. Still love Hilton but surely this should be sorted out.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 7:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Once you've checked out the "specials" try hitting the "show all available rates" button. Many times there will be AAA, AARP and other rates that didn't show up on the first screen.

------------------
danville 1K
Old Jan 12, 2002, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The rates are different because people will pay the higher rate online and not think twice about it. If people pay it, then it makes no sense to lower it. Many people (though not those in this group or this thread wouldn't exist) believe the absolute lower price has to be from the Hilton website for hotels, United site for United Sites, Alamo site for car rentals, etc, and won't look anywhere else.

Never mind calling direct can save as stated, there are times Orbitz or Travelocity offer car rentals and the same United flight for half what the companies websites offer it for.

As long as people purchase it, then it's not too high, it's got nothing to do with the cost of providing the service, it's what people are willing to pay for the convinience of doing it online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.