Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking Reservations via Telephone versus Hilton On-line Internet Web Site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Reservations via Telephone versus Hilton On-line Internet Web Site

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2002, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well Hiltons not alone. I tried to book a trip to Orlando for a golf getaway, and after searching found that a Marriott Fairfield Inn was actually cheaper than the Hampton. We are saving money for the greens fees. Since Marriotts site wouldn't let me book two rooms at the same time, I ended up calling 800 reservations, and was able to get a rate of $49.00 a nite rather than the $65.oo the website showed.
I prefer to book online, but I guess its worth to shop around and call either the 800 or the hotel direct.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 11:28 am

At 2 particular hotels which know me quiet well ( HH Plat), I book whatever it says on the website to get the bonus points and they adjust the rate when I arrive.

I am sure this would not work in most cases however.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have a corporate rate established for mid-week stays at the Parsippany Hilton. I typically select a "random" rate and book the room on line and then follow-up with a call to the hotel and ask them to adjust my rate accordingly. I am thus able to obtain both the best rate I can and the on-line booking bonus.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 7:39 am

Booking online vs phone

I just booked a room at the Drake in Chicago. However, I got a much lower rate than was being offered on the HH web site by calling them directly. So I booked it over the phone, and lost the 1000 points for booking online. I asked the reservations rep at the Drake if there was a code I could use on the website to get the rate she was offering, and didn't know of any.

It is not a big deal - I would much rather save $90 per night. Just wondering if there is a way to get both the 1000 points and the lowere rate.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Hilton hasn't joined Starwood and SixContinents [HI, I-C, CP] in guaranteeing to match the lowest price offered -- other than Priceline like stays -- on their web site, so it will continue to be a decision between saving money or getting the bonus. In your case, I guess you lost more than 2K in HH points, since not only did you forego the web bonus of 1K, but your rate will yield you a minimum of 900 points less, likely more based on your elite status bonus. Hope you are registered in the 50K promo and you can make up some of this loss that way. Enjoy Chicago and The Drake. [Sounds like a Seinfeld episode, "the Drake".]
Old Jul 25, 2002, 8:21 am

Thanks. Actually, I am only blue status. I just called to sign up for the promo. I didn't know about it in June, when I had what should have been my 1st qualifying stay. I was told after the promo is over, they will consider giving me credit.

[This message has been edited by JakAg (edited 07-25-2002).]
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JakAg:
Just wondering if there is a way to get both the 1000 points and the lowere rate.</font>
Yep, and it's very simple. Make your reservation online at whatever rate (just make sure it's a non-restrictive one), then call the hotel and ask them to change your rate to the cheaper one, but keep your confirmation number.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Cheaper rates by phone?

Tonight I called the HHonors Diamond desk to check on some details about a hotel I was considering and was offered a rate that was $35.00 cheaper than the best rate listed on line. Is this typical?

I always book on line for the points and it had never occurred to me that one might get better rates from a HHonors agent.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 1:49 am

Programs: Nowt
What with the online booking bonus disappearing as of today, there is really very little incentive to book on the website, especially as cheaper rates can be had by phone.

I got an online rate at the Back Bay Hilton in Boston of $279 in March this year. When I called to book, there was a rate of $230 w/breakfast. I wouldn't hesitate to call for a better rate.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:01 am

The incentive for online booking is Priceline. You can currently get that same room (or better depending on your HH status) on Priceline for $45 - $55. Btw, I am looking at the Hilton and the Sheraton from my office window here in the Pru Center - absolutely beautiful morning here in Boston.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Vandamm:

What with the online booking bonus disappearing as of today, there is really very little incentive to book on the website, especially as cheaper rates can be had by phone.

I got an online rate at the Back Bay Hilton in Boston of $279 in March this year. When I called to book, there was a rate of $230 w/breakfast. I wouldn't hesitate to call for a better rate.
</font>
---

Yep! And it is not just with Hilton! Calling, particularly if you do not know if you have a good rate, is always a good idea IMHO!

Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:12 am

I have never used Priceline but would like to--how do you know what hotel you will up with? Do you also receive HH points/gold member benefit upgrades once at the hotel for these stays?
Old Jul 31, 2002, 8:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
Tonight I called the HHonors Diamond desk to check on some details about a hotel I was considering and was offered a rate that was $35.00 cheaper than the best rate listed on line. Is this typical?

I always book on line for the points and it had never occurred to me that one might get better rates from a HHonors agent.
</font>
This has been debated here before and is accurate – it’s pretty typical for me to get better deals off line, it really depends on the location.

Apparently two different (albeit inter-connected) systems are in operation – the web site has a slightly different refresh rate on some codes. It makes little sense to me but then again the site is pretty poor in design.

(from a big Hilton fan, so not being too critical)
Old Jul 31, 2002, 9:40 am

Triturus
Welcome to FT.
Try a search for "priceline" on this forum. It will greatly help.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

</font>
On more than one occasion, I have called up the hotel directly and was quoted a rate that was $30-75 cheaper than what was on the website.

The longer the stay(3-5 days), the higher the difference.

And these rates were valid HHonors rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.