Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You've beaten this to death. Go. Have a good time. If by some remote chance you do get charged a resort fee, you'll no doubt get it removed/refunded.
Yes, OP has raised the same issue in three separate threads.

Originally Posted by alchemista
I wasn't rolling eyes lol. Just a confused emoji I picked.
A bit of revisionist history there.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: 8x Hilton Diamond Member, Southwest A Member & Companion pass Holder
We stay at their "sister" location, Tapatio Cliffs yearly and its always an award stay and the resort charge in never passed along.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista

I was told:
1. Resort fee is not waived (but I can talk with a manager if I have a concern)
2. There is no option to opt-out of the resort fee and pay for things a la carte (someone in this thread said they did that?)
3. Upgrades they wouldn't pre-upgrade, said not known until day of (I know this is regular practice, but the last poster said they were given a pre-upgrade).
As a representative of the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, please allow me the opportunity to answer your questions regarding our daily Resort Charge.

As a Hilton Honors Members, ALL members receive complimentary wi-fi service and entry into the River Ranch waterpark. Additionally, Silver/Gold/Diamond receive complimentary fitness center use.

When staying on points redemption, the Resort Charge is waived, meaning you can opt out of the benefit and pay "al la carte" for items such as fitness center use (Blue level) and miniature golf. You already receive free wi-fi so that benefit is covered.

As far as upgrades, those are indeed determined day of arrival. There are periods of the year that an upgrade may be more difficult to secure due to occupancy. You are always welcome to contact the resort front office directly for assistance.

I hope this information was helpful.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't know whether to post this here or on the Tapatio Cliffs thread but I'm looking for updates/comparisons.

We want to take the family (grandkids 10 and 8) to one or the other.

Great, kid-friendly pools are paramount. They will spend all day in the water.

Some reviews on TripAdvisor are dismal. The kids won't notice dated rooms.

For kids that age (and their parents and grandparents), which resort would you recommend (feel free to throw in another suggestion).

I can't remember which of these 2 had the mini-golf right on premises, but that looks good, too. Which one had the water slide and lazy river? (getting dizzy flipping back and forth on reviews).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't know whether to post this here or on the Tapatio Cliffs thread but I'm looking for updates/comparisons.

We want to take the family (grandkids 10 and 8) to one or the other.

Great, kid-friendly pools are paramount. They will spend all day in the water.

Some reviews on TripAdvisor are dismal. The kids won't notice dated rooms.

For kids that age (and their parents and grandparents), which resort would you recommend (feel free to throw in another suggestion).

I can't remember which of these 2 had the mini-golf right on premises, but that looks good, too. Which one had the water slide and lazy river? (getting dizzy flipping back and forth on reviews).
Squaw Peak got the water park with slides and lazy river. I have not stayed at the other place, but for 8 and 10 years old, I don't think you could find too many other hotels in the area that could beat the attraction of a water park.

Our niece graduated from ASU years ago, so we will probably never go back there again, but our son missed that resort. The lazy river was fun.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Eujeanie,

Squaw Peak also had the mini golf.

Tapatio Cliffs also has a water slide but it is shorter and darker ( it is enclosed) whereas the Squaw peak water slide is longer and has more turns.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi Eujeanie,

Squaw Peak also had the mini golf.

Tapatio Cliffs also has a water slide but it is shorter and darker ( it is enclosed) whereas the Squaw peak water slide is longer and has more turns.

Regards

TBS
Yes, I agree Squaw Peak looks more like what we need. Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I stayed on points in 2015 and had full access to mini golf and the fitness center. I absolutely did NOT pay the resort fee. Also received $10/day vouchers for food on property good at any time (used in the restaurant for breakfast- order a la carte items- only way to get a meal with them).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Squaw Peak is what you'd want for your needs; I'm taking the family there for a staycation next month
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Another vote for Squaw Peak with kids. Ours enjoyed the stay...tons of time at the pool & lazy river.

There are a *lot* of Hiltons in the PHX area that seem to have somewhat dated rooms and common areas. I actually thought Squaw was a little better than some. This isn't a huge issue for me as long as stuff works, and I don't recall any troubles at Squaw Peak.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Another vote for Squaw Peak with kids. Ours enjoyed the stay...tons of time at the pool & lazy river.

There are a *lot* of Hiltons in the PHX area that seem to have somewhat dated rooms and common areas. I actually thought Squaw was a little better than some. This isn't a huge issue for me as long as stuff works, and I don't recall any troubles at Squaw Peak.
Thanks. We also tend to overlook dismal reviews unless they concern safety or something egregious. Peeling paint and stained carpets aren't great, but I can live with them.

Did any of you stay in the casitas? We're looking at a 2 br (1K, 2Q) which will be enough beds for all 6 of us plus give us the space of a living room. It would be less expensive to get 2 standard rooms but we like the spreading out area during downtime.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thanks. We also tend to overlook dismal reviews unless they concern safety or something egregious. Peeling paint and stained carpets aren't great, but I can live with them.

Did any of you stay in the casitas? We're looking at a 2 br (1K, 2Q) which will be enough beds for all 6 of us plus give us the space of a living room. It would be less expensive to get 2 standard rooms but we like the spreading out area during downtime.
We were upgraded to a boardroom-style suite on a standard award. I was pretty happy with that, but we didn't get the 2-bedroom suite. I seem to recall we were comfy with 4, but I don't believe there was bedding for six unless we had 2 sofabeds or something.

If the 2-bedrooms are pricing out well, I'd book that...it sounds great for a group of 6.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
The 2Q, 1K are a 2queen casita, with the adjoining studio (king) enabled, you will have the lounge/ wet bar/ kitchenette etc down and the bedrooms with adjoining doors up. The advantage of this is that it also gives you an extra bathroom, but the balcony is the same (studio on its own does not get a balcony). The studio also has an external staircase for access.

It may be cheaper to book a 2 queen casita and a studio, and get them to allocate them together/ open the adjoining door.

When we were there as diamonds we had a long conversation about the resort fee, eventually getting it waived, but we had to pay for crazy golf. We were not told we could use the gym. The GM in advance upgraded us to a casita, but on checking in the agent would not allocate one, this was sorted out by the front desk supervisor- I had the email with me.

Apart from these hiccups, we loved Squaw Peak, it was great for a holiday and had everything (with a store not far down the road), we went to El Conquistador in Tucson after which was a bit pricey but was fabulous.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Skimanant
The 2Q, 1K are a 2queen casita, with the adjoining studio (king) enabled, you will have the lounge/ wet bar/ kitchenette etc down and the bedrooms with adjoining doors up. The advantage of this is that it also gives you an extra bathroom, but the balcony is the same (studio on its own does not get a balcony). The studio also has an external staircase for access.

It may be cheaper to book a 2 queen casita and a studio, and get them to allocate them together/ open the adjoining door.

When we were there as diamonds we had a long conversation about the resort fee, eventually getting it waived, but we had to pay for crazy golf. We were not told we could use the gym. The GM in advance upgraded us to a casita, but on checking in the agent would not allocate one, this was sorted out by the front desk supervisor- I had the email with me.

Apart from these hiccups, we loved Squaw Peak, it was great for a holiday and had everything (with a store not far down the road), we went to El Conquistador in Tucson after which was a bit pricey but was fabulous.
I'll look into booking the 2 Q and the studio separately, as you suggested...but what are the chances that they would be adjoining? (come to think if it, might not be a bad idea to be separated from all the chaos of the grandkids ).

Crazy Golf is the mini golf? So it's included if you pay the resort fee, but a separate charge if you have it waived? (I'm now thinking if we book the 2 rooms separately that we might be able to do the K on points, whereas the whole 2 br casita on points is astronomical).

I'm also a little unclear if you can play mini golf every day with the resort fee, or if it's just once per stay?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
The studios are part of the casitas, they are the corner in effect, as you go up the stairs in the casita to the bedroom, there is a bathroom door and another door to the studio room (think of an adjoining door between two rooms in a hotel).
They seem to often have deals- especially out of season- when they sell the studios cheap- it might be worth phoning the hotel for this/ checking out local press.
I think you can play mini golf as often as you want with the resort fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.