Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Croydon {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Just stayed last night with the promo £48.00 incl tax rate - placed on the third floor - small bottle of red wine and Mars bar (in England colours). Rooms have been updated (apart from some of the furniture) and have to stay this jaded Diamond member had an excellent nights sleep (good bed !) wonderful shower pressure (unlike MANY SFO airport hotels) and the staff were excellent - check in, breakfast especially very efficent and check out ! Kudos to Jennifer who deserves a promotion to one of the London Hiltons and Carlos !

Last edited by mandc2000; Jun 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Mrs. Stifle and I stayed there last night. Check-in was a bit slow (one of the desk agents got called away to deal with the cloakroom) and there was some sort of black-tie function in the bar as we arrived around 18:45. The staff were invariably polite and the room — a standard one — was clean with a king bed and marble-floored bathroom. Usual C&E toiletries. Air-conditioning worked perfectly, and the room showed no signs of age that I've associated with the old-school UK Hiltons.

There was no room service menu or hotel guide in the room (101) so when I was down looking at the dinner and bar food menu I asked the main desk to send one up, which it did in around 10 minutes. The menu was essentially a duplicate of the bar menu except with a £4 service charge, so we went down to the bar, which was by then otherwise empty.

We ordered a pepperoni pizza and a mozzarella and tomato panino, with chips, and some drinks. The drinks were served straight away. After 15 minutes the waitress came back and said there was no mozzarella left and would Mrs. Stifle prefer goat's cheese or cheddar. She chose goat's cheese, and an instant after the waitress left I started pondering what would come on my pizza.

25 more minutes passed and I asked what the delay was. The waitress went and checked before assuring me it would be only 5 more minutes, and the food duly came then. The panino was fine, but the pizza looked very like a particular high-end frozen brand sold in supermarkets. I was too hungry to argue, but if it was that item, it was being sold at a 300% markup :grr: Later when paying the bill there was no option to charge the tip to the room as well as the bill, costing me a few dozen HH points

The breakfast the next morning was reasonable, with the usual choice of English breakfast items, a continental selection of cooked meats and cheeses, bread, fruit, plain yoghurt, and juices. Again service fell down; I had to ask twice for a pot of tea, and the eggs ran out and weren't replenished for a while. There were free newspapers.

Check-out wasn't a problem; the desk agent apologised for the delay even though there was only one guest ahead of me (who sounded like he had a somewhat unfounded complaint). I was handed my copy of the folio in a wallet advertising the Any Weekend Anywhere sale which ended last week :|

There are a few eateries nearby, including a Pizza Hut, but the hotel is not very conveniently located for public transport. Buses do run on the Brighton Road nearby, but the nearest railway station is Waddon, about a mile away, although East Croydon which is around two miles away has far better connections (including Gatwick Airport in around 15 minutes).

The Hilton Croydon probably doesn't gain many points for location; service is adequate but I think the main reason for choosing it would be if you can get a good price. We stayed on a PGAWI1 rate of £49.50, which is about the most I would pay to stay here. I suspect the hotel gets a lot of conferencing and function business, and that's probably most of what distinguishes it from a Hampton or HGI.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Had a letter yesterday from the GM of the Hilton Croydon in response to my customer satisfaction survey, apologising for the restaurant issues and the lack of hotel guide/room service menu in the room. He didn't deny the origin of the pizza, but it would appear that some heads have been knocked together and I suspect things will improve.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Had a letter yesterday from the GM of the Hilton Croydon in response to my customer satisfaction survey, apologising for the restaurant issues and the lack of hotel guide/room service menu in the room. He didn't deny the origin of the pizza, but it would appear that some heads have been knocked together and I suspect things will improve.
Blimey, you said yourself it looked like a "high end" one, so you're already way up on the quality of Hilton pizza's in general. You should find yourself lucky.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: HHonors & BA Exec Club
I stayed at the property over the weekend of the Champions League final in London.

I had spent the Friday working and had partaken of a couple of drinky poos prior to loading up Blackberry Travel to determine quite where the hotel was. In short, the location from central London is not the closest, but given my relatively smooth experience with connections to/from Croydon I would not describe it as wholly inconvenient. Indeed, for the seasoned hotel hopper and for anyone that's experienced the Stansted "express.." its really not that bad. I would certainly ensure that you catch the Brighton bound train from Victoria and alight at East Croydon. I got taken on the long winded taxi tour of Croydon when I first arrived and got stung on the fare. All my journey's thereafter were taken using the hotels front desk firm - they were all 30%-40% cheaper and in clean cars with pleasant drivers.

I was a little weary on check in but I was dealt with with relative politeness by the front desk. Whilst I was suited and booted, I was aware I looked like someone who'd been awake for near 24 hours and noticed I was getting the "inquisitive eye" - however upon their realisation that I was infact a customer who on occasion helped fill the coffers I was promptly dealt with.

Perhaps it was my lack of sleep but the room felt a very long way from the lift. Indeed it was as though the sign-age pointed in the furthest logical direction - I genuinely believe that I walked the perimeter of the hotel floor before reaching my room. One thing I just remembered, I passed a discarded pizza from room service (perhaps Mr. Stifle's from February..) on a tray - this remained there for the remainder of the weekend. It was neatly placed for collection, but alas, remained uncollected. And yes, after one too many sherbets the thought did cross my mind to acquire said pizza.

Anyway - the room was a "Deluxe Double". This standard of room has become clouded for me of late - as it seems to increasingly mean just that - "standard". The room was clean and appeared to have been recently redecorated - it was all very beige and brown. I recall the furniture being a little tired - with the large table being chipped and some veneer having come away. The bed, and this is always the decider for me, was huge and bloody comfy. All was not lost. Owing to my sleep deprivation I slept until being woken by housekeeping barging into my slumber - they were apologetic, but this happened twice...TWICE...during my stay. The bathroom was spacious, with a large bath and a powerful shower that sandblasted me back to life each morning and evening. The usual hopeless Hilton shower curtain continues to frustrate me, pooling water in one corner and making me look as though I cannot follow the "put the shower curtain inside the bath" advice. Bloody annoying and a waste of a good towel to hide the evidence.

I had become separated from my bag (good old Air Berlin) and was forced to go wandering for a charge point for my phone. I have been successful during recent stays to either befriend another traveller or at least find an in house charge point with which to be ripped off at in order that I can refresh BBC mobile 400 times a day. After no such luck I engaged the front desk to enquire if they had a Blackberry charger to hand - I have on occasion found there to be a "house" charger. I was met by blank stares, especially after insisting that I'd seen a charge point on my arrival (I'd been very tired...) - A member of staff (Oliver i think) took pity on me and was kind enough to allow me to borrow his personal charger. With commitments to keep, a fiancee to call and an Air Berlin baggage handler to verbally abuse, this man was at that moment a God to me.

Charged up I ventured back into the city for the game - again I must reiterate that the travel connection is OK - but to minimise cost use to house taxi firm to get to East Croydon station.

On my return later that night I made full use of the bar - the staff were attentive, polite and good natured with a bit of healthy banter exchanged over football etc. Hilton bars can be mixed experiences - whilst often nicely designed, the mood/ambiance is quite variable. However there was a good mix of guests - and when I asked for some bar nibbles, I got free nibbles, which is always nice...but it doesn't earn points! These were also replenished endlessly to my greedy pleasure.

The bar and lobby area merge into one, with the bar on a raised area. The restaurant appears to also extend upon a balcony but I missed breakfast my first morning and departed too early to partake the next - so I cannot report back. The layout appeared a little sparse to me - and I pondered this in the light of the fact that the hotel seems geared to large functions. Indeed during my stay there was a large party taking place on the Saturday evening - the hotel did well to contain this is the back room(s) as guests became progressively more sherbeted to the eyeballs and were suitably re-directed. It did not interfere with my stay, but the tactical placing of furniture appears to be preventative of evening guest parties spilling into the communal spaces.

Nothing to report on check out - other than a lovely young woman on the front desk with a strong London twang to her accent that caught me somewhat off guard. Points posted quickly, alles gut.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
So given the recent skirmishes in that area, has that property burnt down yet?

UTA
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
So given the recent skirmishes in that area, has that property burnt down yet?

UTA
The main trouble was around the large House of Reeves furniture store that burnt down - that's just west of Croydon town centre, about a mile from the Hilton
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Just thought I'd post a quick review - stayed here for one night weekend just gone...

Hotel was easy to find, and the car park was free which was a real attraction to staying here.

Was offered internet code on check in and delighted to find out it was wireless, was also pleased to find the usual bottles of water aling with a small tin of pringles and small bottle of wine waiting in the room. The hotel itself is smart and has the modern hilton look that you'd expect, although in areas the hotel is showing signs of wear and tear, in our room there were plenty of dents/knocks and marks which was a little disappointing, albeit nothing that would stop me staying there again.

Room was on the top floor in a nice location facing the main road but at the back of the hotel so noise wasn't an issue. Air con worked fine. Nothing special to report on the room, was as you'd expect really, nice and clean - just as I say showing wear and tear in places.

I noticed on check in that the hotel restaurant offers 500 bonus points if you spend £20 or more on food in the Larder Restaurant, we very nearly ate there (it also participates in the Taste card discount which we have). In the end we went across the road to TGI Fridays, faced with a 1 hour wait we ended up in Pizza Hut which is just next door... few steps down from what we would have had in the Hotel restaurant I'm sure, but it was late and we were hungry!

Fairly good nights sleep was followed by an excellent breakfast which I cannot fault - one of the better Hilton breakfasts for sure. The restaurant was very nice theme (little different from your standard look), and as it wasn't too busy we could fully enjoy all the selection and freshly cooked eggs etc on offer.

All in all very pleased and will happily stay here again at the sort of low price we had. I booked using the pr09pn code so I got an excellent rate (and it seems I have been awarded the Quarter promotion bonus as well which I wasn't expecting having used a promotion code).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Racking up a few stays for Virgin points promo and to escape - rude not too at £29.40 a night including VAT.

Staff excellent in every area still.

Again room on third floor (apologised that suites all sold out - had checked and no lie) In room was voucher for free drink at the bar (had a great Cosmo) and box of four 'handmade' chocs and two bottles of water. Also a glass jar of posh nuts - alas in going 'upmarket' no Pringles or Mars Bar

Free breakfast at the Larder as a Diamond - just get there before the tour groups - was later this time and place was a tad like a pack of hungry locusts had cleared the place ! Quickly restocked and staff in numbers to clear up - omlettes and other eggy items now made by the hot buffet items.

Tested them to make a decent decaf soy latte and in the rush they forgot - quick prompt and brought me a large Costa Coffee to go with a bag of muffins and fruit - classy

Managed to change a booking later this month to a new date with no penalty for the same Great Greataway Rate - no fuss no muss.

Overall cheap as chips and wondering how they make any money on my stays ^
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Just checked in to the Hilton Croydon with my girlfriend for no other reason than the room was just £24 using the ThankYou promotion. A dirty night in a hotel is always fun and I figure it was worth that for the breakfast alone As a Diamond member, we were upgraded to a junior suite (they don't have full suites here) and we were given two drinks vouchers. I've stayed here a couple of times in the past and it has never disappointed. It's a budget hotel, but always seems to feel good value...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Oh dear.

Just stayed at bargain £49 and after a little pushing got upgraded to a Junior Suite.

Allocated 258 - sign on door mentions Philips Whirlpool Suite...tired me thinks yah whirpool bath (!)

So where to start (pics to follow)

Shower obviously leaked into bedroom area previously and carpet badly stained.

Bathroom is the pits - shower doors don't close and fixtures missing to prevent so. Bin dented (can live with that but looks shabby) floor needs good scrub and bath mat has holes in it.

Light shades in room have odd marks on (!) just need a clean.

Fridge has leaked into unit which is rotten.

But most importantly where are my nuts

Usually receive a welcome drinks cert,water,chocs and nuts - water/chocs are present - though discovered that still water has been opened (!)

I'm knackered and the room is habitable just racked off that the hotel housekeeping/maintenance haven't noticed this..I know it's the Hilton Croydon ...did call Front Desk and someone appeared with a drinks chit - hotel was quiet (BAR still showing £49). Have to say that usually staff here are great on reception/bar/breakfast.

When are they going to spend some cash on the rooms or even basic maintenance ?

Hilton Bath has competition
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: Amex Gold
Originally Posted by mandc2000
Oh dear.

Just stayed at bargain £49 and after a little pushing got upgraded to a Junior Suite.

Allocated 258 - sign on door mentions Philips Whirlpool Suite...tired me thinks yah whirpool bath (!)

So where to start (pics to follow)

Shower obviously leaked into bedroom area previously and carpet badly stained.

Bathroom is the pits - shower doors don't close and fixtures missing to prevent so. Bin dented (can live with that but looks shabby) floor needs good scrub and bath mat has holes in it.

Light shades in room have odd marks on (!) just need a clean.

Fridge has leaked into unit which is rotten.

But most importantly where are my nuts

Usually receive a welcome drinks cert,water,chocs and nuts - water/chocs are present - though discovered that still water has been opened (!)

I'm knackered and the room is habitable just racked off that the hotel housekeeping/maintenance haven't noticed this..I know it's the Hilton Croydon ...did call Front Desk and someone appeared with a drinks chit - hotel was quiet (BAR still showing £49). Have to say that usually staff here are great on reception/bar/breakfast.

When are they going to spend some cash on the rooms or even basic maintenance ?

Hilton Bath has competition
stayed there last night as well. tbh for the price i was expecting much worse. rooms a little small. the shower with no door puzzled me, and i can't imagine how many people have slipped and fallen on that bathroom floor.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
Service in both the bar and restaurant is dreadfully slow. Food quality is unpredictable. The best thing to do is to make friends with the supervisors and things will work a bit more smoothly. One Dutch one in particular: looks like and is dressed like a male a model. Tailored suit etc. He's very quiet and aloof, but quite efficient.

Diamond upgrades: Ask if a junior suite is available. Rooms are generally well appointed but showing age. Limited TV channel selection and notably no CNN. TV signals are all messed up - stretched to screen signals, nothing that can be fixed by the remote or buttons on the device itself. Health Club arrangement is with LA Fitness down the road and not Nuffield which is better and right next door. Defies reason.

Housekeeping is not so good - rooms look tired and unclean.

They have monthly HHonors receptions although I have not had the pleasure of being invited to one.

Overall, this is an okay hotel. But if it wants to bat with the big boys it needs to pull things together to maintain a minimum standard of maintenance and service.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:32 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Action Man
Housekeeping is not so good - rooms look tired and unclean.
Overall, this is an okay hotel. But if it wants to bat with the big boys it needs to pull things together to maintain a minimum standard of maintenance and service.
I spent a couple of nights there last month and I agree with your "ok hotel" verdict.

Having said that, I didn´t find the rooms unclean during my limited number of stays there. Given the standard going rate of around GBP 50 per night I think it is a good value for money hotel "close to London", especially once you compare it to the (in my view) often ridiculously overpriced other Hilton properties in Central London.

DUS
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Stayed here on 22nd dec to complete a matress run........upgraded to a junior suite , free drink chit, water and nuts in room.......room was huge, bed super comfy and clean if a little tired..........breakfast was good, check out swift......yup , no complaints....they treated me very well........would stay again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.