Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Skipping housekeeping for 2000 points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping housekeeping for 2000 points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
This is pretty sweet. Usually the first thing I do when I check in to a room is stick the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Now they're giving something back to those of us that don't like the housekeepers messing with our stuff .
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Here here.....

Originally Posted by thnarf:17648084
This is pretty sweet. Usually the first thing I do when I check in to a room is stick the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Now they're giving something back to those of us that don't like the housekeepers messing with our stuff .
We do the same thing. I don't use their shampoo, never ever use their coffee (ick), don't use their cups and, just like home, of course, I use my towels for more than one day! Sheets too.

I would take any points they offered!

:-)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by javacodeguy
It seems like more and more hotels are offering this.

I think calling it as some "green" initiative is just as dumb as saying not changing your sheets or towels is some "green" thing. Just come out and say they are trying to save money. Maybe spin it that that means they can offer you more in other services or lower room rates.

Either way, one thing I like when I stay at a hotel is having the room clean and reorganized every day. For a two night stay, I might be tempted to take it at 2000 points; 500 no way. But for any longer stay they'd really need to offer me a lot.
+1, But I guess this appeals to some people.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:34 am
Suspended

Green Bonus

Originally Posted by jmhayes
Just checked in to the Omaha Hilton and was told that if I skip housekeeping for one more more nights, I would get 2000 points. Is this some regular program, or are they just short on workers?
I believe they do this when they are short of staff.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Why is it dumb to call it a green initiative? A 250 room hotel will do about 5000 lbs of laundry a day which is about 15000 gallons of water usage just for the laundry. Then you've got the energy and heating costs of all that.

So yes it's a cost savings for the property (esp since you've got reduced labor costs and reduced laundry chemical usage too) and an obvious motivation but to suggest calling it a green initiative is dumb?

I too would be thrilled to take 500 points, let alone 2000, for skipping housekeeping. I refuse it for free as it is, because I have no need and yes, I'm trying to be dumb.. I mean environmentally conscious.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Originally Posted by jmhayes
Just checked in to the Omaha Hilton and was told that if I skip housekeeping for one more more nights, I would get 2000 points. Is this some regular program, or are they just short on workers?
I frequently stay at the Omaha Hilton. I think this promotion is more about the low census. They were at 15% capactity during some parts of Decemeber and even booking with points was cheaper for an executive level room than a normal room. A few days ago it was also cheaper to pay for an exec room than a normal room. I just stayed there for 3 nights with the Mrs last weekend and chose the 2K bonus.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just don't turn housekeeping into Nor 1.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Is this a formal program?

I just stayed at the Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand and noticed a screen at reception stating you could earn an additional 6,000 pts per stay. I enquired, expecting this to be a timeshare presentation, but was surprised to hear the hotel awards 2k pts per night when opting out of housekeeping. I was only staying 1 night so didn't get to partake but I found this quite generous compared to Marriott's/SPG Make a Green Choice which was devalued last year to a pointless 500 pts.

Is this a formal initiative that's just not advertised by hotels, or is this quite a rare thing?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by RafKa
I just stayed at the Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand and noticed a screen at reception stating you could earn an additional 6,000 pts per stay. I enquired, expecting this to be a timeshare presentation, but was surprised to hear the hotel awards 2k pts per night when opting out of housekeeping. I was only staying 1 night so didn't get to partake but I found this quite generous compared to Marriott's/SPG Make a Green Choice which was devalued last year to a pointless 500 pts.

Is this a formal initiative that's just not advertised by hotels, or is this quite a rare thing?
It is a program that individual hotels choose to set up. For example the DT Chester (UK) offers 1000 points per night for declining housekeeping, but I don't recall seeing this in other UK Hiltons.

Various hotels also offer things like 500/1000 points for spending $/€/£20/40/80 in their restaurant.

I would value 2000 Hilton points at NZ$10 and 500 Marriott points at NZ$5.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
It is a program that individual hotels choose to set up. For example the DT Chester (UK) offers 1000 points per night for declining housekeeping, but I don't recall seeing this in other UK Hiltons.

Various hotels also offer things like 500/1000 points for spending $/€/£20/40/80 in their restaurant.

I would value 2000 Hilton points at NZ$10 and 500 Marriott points at NZ$5.
I have seen the “ decline housekeeping “ offer at a few other uk Hilton’s but can’t remember which ones....... as 90% of my stays are for one night it’s nit something I’ve taken much notice of, however I will note it on future trip reports during my travels.
RafKa likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Edinburgh airport Doubletree & Charles De Galle Hilton both offer 500 points but not many people stay more than one night in airport hotels.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anybody actually RECEIVE the points? I did this at the Hampton in Edinburgh and didn't actually receive the points for declining housekeeping. 500 points hardly seems worth chasing...
B3nder likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
500 points hardly seems worth chasing...
But it's a whole $2!

"What would you doOoo ... for. A. Klondike bar?"

Or if in Norway, for a single piece of gum? (Possibly also already chewed if its at that bargain price).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.