Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My bad. I was thinking about the Danube when I read Plaza. Both Hilton Vienna and Hilton Plaza are pretty central. I prefer the Hilton Vienna, but I've had friends stay at the Plaza and they were quite pleased. The OP would be fine with either is my guess.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
Thanks people for the clarification ^ I have booked a room with Hilton Vienna Plaza and am looking forward to my stay there
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:52 pm

Vienna Hilton vs Plaza - need input...

Will be in Vienna in June to attend my alma mater's alumni reunion week to celebrate a big anniversary of the program; I went to school in Vienna. I'll be heading there a week after the Prague Do, with a trip to Germany inbetween.

The last 2 Vienna alumni reunions I stayed at Vienna Hilton (Stadtpark). On those occasions I had Gold status & got upgrades/exec lounge access. A nice property & I did a 'very' detailed trip report about it back in '06, which I've now updated based on my 06/11 trip.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5931620-post18.html

Primarily due to Marriott granting me Lifetime Platinum status (Hilton sent me a paperweight w/ my FF# on its same anniversary ), I now stay at Marriotts more & thus have dropped down to () Hilton Blue status - ie, bupkus. That's fine. I haven't stayed with them in a while. Fair's fair. I'm not complaining; merely noting my lack of status & the reason why.

The other reason is that my travel has lessened, hence sticking w/ the chain who gave me Lifetime. In the past I did both Marriott & stayed w/ Hilton to get Gold status; with travel being down I had to choose.

But I've been hoarding my Hilton points to stay at one of the 2 main Vienna properties for this trip, and am quite excited about the trip & the Hilton stay!

I'm familiar w/ Stadtpark because I've stayed there before, but I've read good things about the Plaza as well. Both are available on points for when I'll be there. So trying to figure out which of the 2 would be better for the stay.

My alma mater's school is next to the Opera House & I think a lot of activities will start from there, although not positive since the agenda for the week of events hasn't been released yet. But I don't want to wait for the agenda before booking, because availability can disappear.

From what I can tell, it's basically 2 Ubahn stops from either Hilton location to the Opera House stop. Does that sound right for those familiar with the city? I've not been to the Plaza, so am guessing. I think Schottentor is the nearest stop? So any recommendation based on that, or is it a wash?

If I can make the airline award work (the larger hurdle compared to hotel), then I'd fly in/out of VIE & probably take the train into the city. There's a bit of a hiccup on each end of the Vienna trip because I'll come into Vienna for 1 night before heading up to the Rax for the weekend (and upon return then check into Hilton). Also, the last night in Vienna, Hiltons not available on award. So on those 2 book-end evenings I might end up at Marriotts if they turn out to be cheaper than Hilton. If they're not, then I'd just book it all at Hilton, for a combo paid/award. Also, any idea on what a taxi would cost from Wien Mitte if I went w/ Plaza? Odds are I might have checked luggage for this trip vs roll-aboard.

Also, I realize there's a snowball's chance in hades of getting an upgrade given my Blue status, but let's say that H*ll does freeze over & it might happen, any thoughts on which property I stand a better chance with re: the upgrade? I've stayed at Stadtpark before, so I thought that might help. OTOH, I have a friend who redeemed Amex points & had zippo status (AFAIK) at Hilton, but got a nice upgrade at the Plaza.

If I do not get an upgrade I will not complain, as I know points only get me a room. I am not expecting an upgrade. But I can hope - and given the currency exchange rate, having access to the lounge for a quick brekkie in the morning or quick munchie in the eve would come in handy. BTW - any strategies on trying to get an upgrade are appreciated, even if it's a long shot.

So for those who have stayed at both properties, your thoughts on either given some of the parameters I mentioned.

Any input appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm Reason: added some more details & questions...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Sharon, was just in Vienna over the hoildays. We stayed at Stadtpark. We are diamond and they upgraded us to a exec level corner room.
Its been a while but the Vienna Hilton was at least a train change from the airport, if you have a lot of luggage might be a little work.
Not sure how they will treat you, we were happy with the service at Stadtpark.
Another observation, at Stadtpark more flight crews, at Hilton by Shottenring more Asian tourists. Not implying anything but a personel observation.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 2.5MM; HH:Diamond; HGVC
Here is my opinion. Both are nice properties. I think the Plaza is just a bit nicer, however, not enough so to choose it over Stadpark greatly depending upon what your plans and priorities are when in Vienna. Both have terrific subway access. I believe, though, that from the Plaza to the Opera (Karlsplatz) its 4 stops while only 2 from Stadpark. Not a big difference maker in my opinion. I would not expect an upgrade at either location due to your now lack of 'status'.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 am

Thanks for the input, both of you. I'll probably go w/ Stadtpark since I've stayed there before & am familiar w/ the property. The overall agenda came out yest eve & we'll be in a # of locations for activities/events during the week. Won't expect an upgrade given my zero status, but will ask anyway. If it happens great; if not, I won't complain.

And hey even w/o exec lounge access, it will beat where some of the others coming over are staying, which is a bunch of pensions & a Best Western w/ no a/c.

Ok, need to book air & hotel today. On this dreary snowy cold day, hard to imagine Vienna in the summer.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I haven't stayed at the Plaza before but have stayed at the Hilton am Stadtpark many times. I am a humble Hilton Silver and almost always book a standard room but have regularly been upgraded to deluxe Stadtpark / Stephansdom view rooms - no upgrades to exec level though.

For ease of access from the airport, the Stadtpark is the one to go for although due to ongoing rebuilding work at Mitte station it's a bit more hassle to get from the CAT platform to the hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Plaza rooms are a bit older fashioned (classic) and darker (due to proximate buildings) than Am Stadt park which is very modern. At least on the upper floors, the Plaza rooms are slightly larger both have old CRT TVs (if it matters). Both are well located as you noted.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
On my one award stay at Stadtpark as a Diamond, I saw no special recognition. Have a great stay. As always, keep your expectations low and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stadtpark treated me and my family very well as a Diamond on a recent award stay. I like the location better.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I have nothing helpful to add, and I'm blaming it all on Sharon

I stayed at Plaza a long time (think 5 years) ago - headed back to Vienna a couple of years ago, and after reading Sharon's posted review chose the Stadtpark. Had an excellent stay, and they have remained excellent roughly quarterly since. Only bum note is the downgrading of the Scotch in the lounge from JW black to red.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Only bum note is the downgrading of the Scotch in the lounge from JW black to red.
The horror! I may have to switch locations

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:58 am

Do hotels open up room types?

Currently both hotels open for award on the dates I want. But Stadtpark only has twin guest room & Plaza has king guest room.

I'd prefer the Stadtpark but would rather not get a twin room for a week. So do I book the twin & hope to get a king, or go w/ the king which is a sure thing?

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do hotels open up room types?

Currently both hotels open for award on the dates I want. But Stadtpark only has twin guest room & Plaza has king guest room.

I'd prefer the Stadtpark but would rather not get a twin room for a week. So do I book the twin & hope to get a king, or go w/ the king which is a sure thing?

Cheers.
Book the twin, and call the hotel directly. A dollar says they will be able to switch to a king.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Which one of these locations would be best for a tourist and first time visitor to Vienna?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.